Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you bought the 11.3mm stems and those recommended above, your dealership Tech needs to go back to school. I have put those on 3 Burgman 650's now.

I think what happened is the Tech only popped one side of the tire off, smushed the bead over till he could get the stem in and finger tightened it and POOF reset the bead.
Thanks Dave...it is a 11.3mm stem...he installed a metal 95 degree stem--which is almost impossible to connect to my compressor....I will be sure and let him and the shop manager know....waiting to hear from rjs and others....
Have a great rest of the day...

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
I agree with Dave.
What direction is the stem pointing on the rim? Inline with the wheel or sticking straight out to the side or somewhere in between?
It should be one of those last 2.
I have 2 air chucks for my compressor in my garage. One is the typical air chuck found in the garage where they do tire changes. It's almost a right angle and very short and sort of a bulb shape. The other is longer and has an offset chuck end that was ideal for the 90 deg valve stems. Both work well with 90 deg stems but only the first one shown below works very well on straight stems like I have now.
I cannot put 90 deg stems on my AK since the TPMS is part of the stem on the inside of the rim.

Tool Household hardware Auto part Engineering Metal
Cleanliness Composite material Metal Nickel Tool

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you bought the 11.3mm stems and those recommended above, your dealership Tech needs to go back to school. I have put those on 3 Burgman 650's now.

I think what happened is the Tech only popped one side of the tire off, smushed the bead over till he could get the stem in and finger tightened it and POOF reset the bead.
I agree with Dave.
What direction is the stem pointing on the rim? Inline with the wheel or sticking straight out to the side or somewhere in between?
I have 2 air chucks for my compressor in my garage. One is the typical air chuck found in the garage where they do tire changes. It's almost a right angle and very short and sort of a bulb shape. The other is longer and has an offset chuck end that was ideal for the 90 deg valve stems. Both work well with 90 deg stems but only the first one shown below works very well on straight stems like I have now.
I cannot put 90 deg stems on my AK since the TPMS is part of the stem on the inside of the rim.

View attachment 98204 View attachment 98205
I agree with Dave.

View attachment 98204 View attachment 98205
Actually rjs the tech wrote: customer supplied valve in not long enough to fit into rim. He did not torque it down, it would not fit, so he installed some other 95 degree metal stem pointing out on the left side which is what I had told them to do. I was finally able, very awkwardly, to air my scoot to 41psi. I'm even betting he did what Dave said and did not even do any greasing, balancing, or maintenance that the manager said would be done with a stem installation. Especialy since they are so slammed in the service and parts department. going there tomorrow. Have a good day.....

· Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Here I go again...drove my Burg home from shop. $85.97. The next day I drove around San Antonio. Two days later, yesterday, I went to drive my scoot and it seemed harder to roll out of my shed. Got off and checked the tire pressure. It only read 20psi. The stem was difficult to reach with my air hose. I aired it to 41psi. I called my mechanic, that used to work for this Kent Power Sports dealership, to ask him what he thought the problem might be and if the stem should have been torqued. He told me that it should be torqued but they probably had not. I had read on the internet that the nut should be tightened until the rubber grommet bulges slightly on the inside of the wheel. Technically the nut should be torqued between 25 and 55 inch-pounds. I thought that I would check the tire tomorrow to see if it has leaked again.The dealership is closed today, so I decided that I would go there tomorrow and discuss this with the shop manager. Next, I got my receipt out to see if there was any install informantion. There was nothing there that said that it was installed and torqued. It did read, which I didn't :

Description:customer supplied
Resolution:customer supplied valve is not long enough to fit into rim

No one told me anything except "it's ready." I got out the Amazon receipt for my order that states "this stem is compatible for Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha. This is also the same stem that was recommended here from the community. So, tomorrow I'm going to go do battle with the dealership. Any suggestions? Wish me good luck. Thanks for listening.
1) Sorry about your troubles. We're here to help you get things straightened out, if we can.

2) Could you provide a link to the Amazon product you bought? There are essentially only two rim hole sizes, the 8.3 and the 11.3 mm; the latter is much more common than the former, and Suzuki uses it.

3) I generally use a compressor-pass-through tire gauge to fill (or just check) pressure, the K-Tool KTI89001:

You can see that its chuck is very much like the one pictured by @rjs987 in post 23. I use this on my FOBO T-valves, have used this on the low-profile, near 90°, valves I've had on assorted bikes, and use it on my car, too.

Additionally, I own a Motion Pro adjustable air chuck, which I've used in assorted weird situations:

This is available on Amazon, as well:

It twists and turns to pretty much any angle imaginable (and I recall I had to loosen a fastener a bit, to get it to first swivel).

4) The FOBO T-valves don't have any rubber, as I recall, just hard plastic insert pieces.

And in the realm of non-T-valves, the good low-profile stems are almost impossible to install incorrectly, as long as they are pointing sideways (i.e., not pointing along the circumference. Take a look at, say, the Kurvey Girl offerings, e.g.,

Take a close look at the pic on that page, and tell me how that can get screwed up. This is, by the way, the type of stems I had on my first Exec for many years.

Bottom line: I'm very confused regarding whatever happened, and when this is all over, I'd certainly look for another shop.

Reactions: Dave_J and rjs987

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,161 Posts
Exactly the reason we are having this discussion, all vehicle and/or tire manufacturers recommend you do so, poor workmanship from that dealer IMO, I've always been asked by dealers were I have carried tires in for mounting, on few occasions I had to initial the decline block, IAC most of my bikes have/had aluminum stems.
You have no such choice at Discount Tire, etc. you get new valve stems or TPS service kit with new tires.
Maybe that dealer could give you a discount for their own FU fix. :unsure::whistle:
Hate to say, I said so, but the level of "incompetence" of that dealer/shop/whatever is mind boggling, almost criminaly negligent, FMR , don't go back, try someone else :unsure:, life too short to waste it on a "catch 22 situation" IMO, I'll stop now :censored:

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,161 Posts
BTW you should have someone check all the work those people did, who knows what else is AFU o_O

Sorry if I appear harsh or too critical, but been a lifelong professional mechanic, these stories really rub me the wrong way :censored:

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1) Sorry about your troubles. We're here to help you get things straightened out, if we can.

2) Could you provide a link to the Amazon product you bought? There are essentially only two rim hole sizes, the 8.3 and the 11.3 mm; the latter is much more common than the former, and Suzuki uses it.

3) I generally use a compressor-pass-through tire gauge to fill (or just check) pressure, the K-Tool KTI89001:

You can see that its chuck is very much like the one pictured by @rjs987 in post 23. I use this on my FOBO T-valves, have used this on the low-profile, near 90°, valves I've had on assorted bikes, and use it on my car, too.

Additionally, I own a Motion Pro adjustable air chuck, which I've used in assorted weird situations:

This is available on Amazon, as well:

It twists and turns to pretty much any angle imaginable (and I recall I had to loosen a fastener a bit, to get it to first swivel).

4) The FOBO T-valves don't have any rubber, as I recall, just hard plastic insert pieces.

And in the realm of non-T-valves, the good low-profile stems are almost impossible to install incorrectly, as long as they are pointing sideways (i.e., not pointing along the circumference. Take a look at, say, the Kurvey Girl offerings, e.g.,

Take a close look at the pic on that page, and tell me how that can get screwed up. This is, by the way, the type of stems I had on my first Exec for many years.

Bottom line: I'm very confused regarding whatever happened, and when this is all over, I'd certainly look for another shop.
This is what I ordered from Amazon...it is what I thought you suggested...
2pcs 11.3mm Car Tire Air Valve Universal Motorcycle Aluminum Alloy Wheel Tire Valve Stems Caps 90 Degree for Standard Tubeless Tires Wheels(Black)

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Those should work fine. Possible the mechanic put the nut on backwards since it does have a right and wrong direction to it. One way will fit just fine and the other way it won't catch enough threads to tighten at all.

· Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Reactions: Dave_J

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have my fingers crossed that this simple problem is almost over. I went to the dealership today, which has several locations, and spoke to the service manager. I told him I would just like to get my money back and go somewhere else to install my stem. He asked me to let him make it right . He then told me that my stem was too short and that he did not charge me for the new stem. This is what the mechanic had noted. I told him that no one had called to tell me what was wrong and what he was going to do about it. He just installed his metal 45 degree stem on the left side like I had requested. It was a pain in the arse to access his stem. By the way, the mechanic was his 21 year old son. LOL I'm sure he has his son do all of the easy jobs that he can't mess up. I told him that I had lost 21psi in two days with his stem and that maybe the mechanic hadn't torqued the stem. I told him that I was a member of the esteemed Burgman USA Forum and read him the posts from rjs987 and Wspollack. "My stems should work fine. Possibly the mechanic put the nut on backwards since it does have a right and wrong direction to it. One way will fit just fine and the other way it won't catch enough threads to tighten at all." The manager then seemed like I had some credibility. He told me to bring it in anytime and that he would take the tire off, use my stem, and show me that it would not fit. He said that all I would owe him was a coke. I told him "or I would show him that it does fit and he would owe me a coke." But now I have decided that if it fits (please please) I'll going to tell him he can install the other stem, that came in my Amazon order, on my front wheel for my inconvience I see what he says to that. I sure hope it fits. Lastly torque at? 25-55? Many thanks again and I hope my next and last post on this topic will be ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL ! Thanks again and all have a great day.

· Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I have my fingers crossed that this simple problem is almost over. I went to the dealership today, which has several locations, and spoke to the service manager. I told him I would just like to get my money back and go somewhere else to install my stem. He asked me to let him make it right . He then told me that my stem was too short and that he did not charge me for the new stem. This is what the mechanic had noted. I told him that no one had called to tell me what was wrong and what he was going to do about it. He just installed his metal 45 degree stem on the left side like I had requested. It was a pain in the arse to access his stem. By the way, the mechanic was his 21 year old son. LOL I'm sure he has his son do all of the easy jobs that he can't mess up. I told him that I had lost 21psi in two days with his stem and that maybe the mechanic hadn't torqued the stem. I told him that I was a member of the esteemed Burgman USA Forum and read him the posts from rjs987 and Wspollack. "My stems should work fine. Possibly the mechanic put the nut on backwards since it does have a right and wrong direction to it. One way will fit just fine and the other way it won't catch enough threads to tighten at all." The manager then seemed like I had some credibility. He told me to bring it in anytime and that he would take the tire off, use my stem, and show me that it would not fit. He said that all I would owe him was a coke. I told him "or I would show him that it does fit and he would owe me a coke." But now I have decided that if it fits (please please) I'll going to tell him he can install the other stem, that came in my Amazon order, on my front wheel for my inconvience I see what he says to that. I sure hope it fits. Lastly torque at? 25-55? Many thanks again and I hope my next and last post on this topic will be ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL ! Thanks again and all have a great day.
The one possible fly in the ointment is that I'm not familiar with the low-profile valve that you got, the one that actually appears to be 90°. It doesn't look like there's a lot of room for threads, and an actual 90° means that it may be unnecessarily tight -- not much room -- for adding a chuck.

The one's I've used, on many bikes, are not quite 90°.

So, we have the 90° Amazon pair you bought (www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS3S6K8):

White Light Product Black Camera accessory

And here's the 83° from Kurvey Girl (www.kurveygirl.com/collections/valve-stems/products/83deg-aluminum-11-3mm-gen2-angled-valve-stem-silver-2-pcs):

Tool Font Gas Bumper Machine

And here's the 84° from SoundRider (TV25 84 Degree Tire Replacement Valve Stems):

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Lego Bicycle part

You'll also note that the Kurvey page is $30 for two, and the SoundRider is $11 for one -- and I've purchased products, including valve stems, from both of those -- vs. $11.55 for the pair at Amazon. All of which is to say that I'm a little suspicious of the build quality and the form factor, etc., of that Amazon pair. I'm sorry if I misled you into thinking that any low-profile valve stems would do, because that may not actually be the case. Well, we'll see, and if need be I'll pay for the Coke.

Oh, and regarding torque, I don't recall ever reading what that would be.

The FOBO T-valve installation guide (www.fobotyre.com.au/assets/brochures/tvalve.pdf), for instance, merely says "Lock it tight." I've used those over the course of several tire changes, and generally I'll say to the shop, "Oh, can you snug up the valve stems, as they've rotated a little." Never lost any air, but they have moved.

There's this thread I just found on the ST Owners Group, www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/angled-valve-stem.168698/ , that includes this information for those T-valves, although I have no idea where this number comes from, whether it's correct, etc.:

The torque specs are 7Nm to 10Nm. (5.1~7.3 ft-lb / 62~88 in-lb).

But we're not talking T-valves here, just the low-profile ones.

This page, www.tirereview.com/make-the-right-turn-don-t-underestimate-the-impact-of-proper-valve-stem-torque/ , says:

The recommended torque for standard tubeless truck tire valve stems in a steel wheel is 35 to 55 inch pounds (in/lbs), according to the Tire and Rim Association’s 2000 Yearbook.

But that's pretty much an all-purpose statement, not specific to motorcycles or low-profile stems, etc.

This AdvRider (very often a useful forum) thread -- www.advrider.com/f/threads/angled-valve-stem-install-1150gsa.873980/ -- says:

IIRC it is either 8 or 11 NM, the instructions say.

So, um, I don't really know what to tell you about torque values.

Reactions: Dave_J

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The one possible fly in the ointment is that I'm not familiar with the low-profile valve that you got, the one that actually appears to be 90°. It doesn't look like there's a lot of room for threads, and an actual 90° means that it may be unnecessarily tight -- not much room -- for adding a chuck.

The one's I've used, on many bikes, are not quite 90°.

So, we have the 90° Amazon pair you bought (www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS3S6K8):

View attachment 98231

And here's the 83° from Kurvey Girl (www.kurveygirl.com/collections/valve-stems/products/83deg-aluminum-11-3mm-gen2-angled-valve-stem-silver-2-pcs):

View attachment 98232

And here's the 84° from SoundRider (TV25 84 Degree Tire Replacement Valve Stems):

View attachment 98233

You'll also note that the Kurvey page is $30 for two, and the SoundRider is $11 for one -- and I've purchased products, including valve stems, from both of those -- vs. $11.55 for the pair at Amazon. All of which is to say that I'm a little suspicious of the build quality and the form factor, etc., of that Amazon pair. I'm sorry if I misled you into thinking that any low-profile valve stems would do, because that may not actually be the case. Well, we'll see, and if need be I'll pay for the Coke.

Oh, and regarding torque, I don't recall ever reading what that would be.

The FOBO T-valve installation guide (www.fobotyre.com.au/assets/brochures/tvalve.pdf), for instance, merely says "Lock it tight." I've used those over the course of several tire changes, and generally I'll say to the shop, "Oh, can you snug up the valve stems, as they've rotated a little." Never lost any air, but they have moved.

There's this thread I just found on the ST Owners Group, www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/angled-valve-stem.168698/ , that includes this information for those T-valves, although I have no idea where this number comes from, whether it's correct, etc.:

The torque specs are 7Nm to 10Nm. (5.1~7.3 ft-lb / 62~88 in-lb).

But we're not talking T-valves here, just the low-profile ones.

This page, www.tirereview.com/make-the-right-turn-don-t-underestimate-the-impact-of-proper-valve-stem-torque/ , says:

The recommended torque for standard tubeless truck tire valve stems in a steel wheel is 35 to 55 inch pounds (in/lbs), according to the Tire and Rim Association’s 2000 Yearbook.

But that's pretty much an all-purpose statement, not specific to motorcycles or low-profile stems, etc.

This AdvRider (very often a useful forum) thread -- www.advrider.com/f/threads/angled-valve-stem-install-1150gsa.873980/ -- says:

IIRC it is either 8 or 11 NM, the instructions say.

So, um, I don't really know what to tell you about torque values.
Well I was excited but now I will probably be eating crow.

· Premium Member
813 Posts

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Since my AK has the TPMS built into the base of the factory metal straight stems I can't put these on my AK. Instead I went out and bought a different air chuck for my compressor. My Slime mini compressor already has a 90 deg clamp on chuck so I'm still good.
But you will enjoy not having to fight to get some air chucks onto straight stems any more once those are installed. So much easier.

Reactions: SemBurg
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.