Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 650 runs as sweet as a nut and is silky smooth all the way. However, i noticed that if you take your hands off the bars at anytime a pretty severe wobble starts almost immediately. s this normal or do you think there is a problem?

thanks

steve

·
Registered
497 Posts
Normal design is for both hands to be applied to the handle bars. The slightest shift in weight will effect the direction of the Burgman. Engine braking when the hands are removed from the throttle is likely to be the cause of the initial wobble. Wrecklessness is not advisable :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've had many motorcycles that would do that. It is common. Solution is obviously to keep at least one hand on the bars. I have not tried taking both hands off of the bars with my 650, and I don't intend to. There is no point to it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Steve, as far as I'm concerned, whether you take your hands off the bars or not, is your choice. I can assure you, though, that my 650 Burgman is rock steady when I take both hands off the bars, even when the bike is slowing down. It tends to veer ever so slightly to the left, but definately does not wobble or shake. IMHO something is not right. Loose steering head, or out of balance front wheel, possibly.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Steve, I have had both hands off the HBs with a throttle lock engaged and the bike did fine. Where you decelerating?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with bob, my 400 is rock solid if I take my hands off..
at slow speed the bike will wobble a little.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I too have had my hand off both handles, but that's because I've got a rubber washer and o-ring that hold the throttle in position. No noticable wobble in my experience at 45mph up to highway speed. If you were riding slow, or the bike started slowing down (engine braking) when you let go of the throttle, then expect some wobble.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If you have a big aftermarket screen that would alter the dynamics.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Check the steering head for excess play. My 650 developed that at about 1,000 miles, I snugged it up about 1/4 turn, it's solid at higher speeds now 70 +. The 650's don't have a steering damper, so proper head torque is critical..Like everything else, it will seat in during break-in.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I too have taken both hands off and didnt have any wobble, it was at speeds where the engine braking wasn't as noticeable.

·
Registered
806 Posts
My 400 is so stable that at 70MPH you can take both hands off and steer with pressure of your feet. It's rock solid.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My 400 wobbles like a drunken sailor. The mode is decel from 45 with no hands and it starts slowly and builds. Way too much fun..........

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
572 Posts
With the smaller wheels, you have to get a higher speed before the gyroscope action will keep you tracking a straight line with no hands. A motorcycle has bigger wheels and so is easier to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great advice thanks

I have noticed that the prolem does not occur at all when the mirrors are in the closed position. So, at least I know it is not a tyre or wheel fault.

I dont think I will ever need to ride 'no hands mum' so I can cope with it. As I said, it is perfectly smooth machine otherwise.

Thanks

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts