Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with electrical.
3 days ago I got on the burg and battery was dead. We had just had a very mild cold snap (got down to about 45 degrees) I assumed the battery was due to die so went and got new and installed. Scoot started fine. Rode it around the block and parked it. Got on it again 2 days later and it started fine and rode it for about 20 to 25 minutes and got about 1 block from house and scoot started sputtering and trying to stall/die. got home and it died as soon as I came to a stop. Tried to start and the brand new battery was dead. Hooked up to car bat with cables and burg started fine. Un hooked cables after a few minutes and burg ran fine for a couple of minutes then sputtered and died. Rehooked to car bat and starts and runs ok till disconnect cables.

After a little research on electrical, I assume I have a bad stator or regulator/rectifier.
Does the symptoms match anyones previous problem or can someone give me some advice on this problem?

Audie

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
3 days ago I got on the burg and battery was dead. We had just had a very mild cold snap (got down to about 45 degrees) I assumed the battery was due to die so went and got new and installed. Scoot started fine. Rode it around the block and parked it. Got on it again 2 days later and it started fine and rode it for about 20 to 25 minutes and got about 1 block from house and scoot started sputtering and trying to stall/die. got home and it died as soon as I came to a stop. Tried to start and the brand new battery was dead. Hooked up to car bat with cables and burg started fine. Un hooked cables after a few minutes and burg ran fine for a couple of minutes then sputtered and died. Rehooked to car bat and starts and runs ok till disconnect cables.

After a little research on electrical, I assume I have a bad stator or regulator/rectifier.
Does the symptoms match anyones previous problem or can someone give me some advice on this problem?

Audie
Please State Model Year

What you need is a Voltage Reader/Tester with it, it should read 14 Volts when engine is Running.. If your not getting but 12 Volts when engine is running then it may be a bad stator

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would get your new battery checked it might have a bad cell in it and not holding the proper 12 volts, if it runs good with a 12 v car battery tells me voltage is ok and the regulator likes it. not sure but that is what I would do first..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys this is a 2009 Burgman Exec.

Audie

I am an idiot sometime (well most of the time) 2009 650 Burgman Exec

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Voltage Test

Please State Model Year

What you need is a Voltage Reader/Tester with it, it should read 14 Volts when engine is Running.. If your not getting but 12 Volts when engine is running then it may be a bad stator
Elliott, are you saying to test the voltage at the battery terminals? I assume
your meaning I should be getting a 14 volt reading there because the regulator/rectifier is sending 14 volts to the battery?

Audie :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yes you need to check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running. Spec calls for 14 to 15.5 volts with the engine at 5,000 rpm. If you are not getting that then you have a bad regulator or a bad stator or both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Craig,
fyi I am East Texas boy (Eustace/Athens Tex)
Transplanted/retired/retarded to Florida 2006

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Audie, just assuming that your stator is gone because a new battery died on you isn't a good idea. I bought a new battery for my V-Strom a month ago because the old one crapped out. Put the new one in and within two days it was dead too. The new battery had a bad cell. Took it back out and went to the place I bought it. They confirmed it had a bad cell and exchanged for another new battery. Took it home, installed it and everything has been just fine since.

Moral of the story: Just because a battery is new doesn't mean it is good.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
One thing about these Battery Dealers is that The battery's arnt Maintained There just sitting on a shelf, Dealers are so pose to Check them each 4 to 5 Weeks Charge them and Test Them to keep them Fresh ,A Dealer that Don't Do this is a Bad Dealer...

Sounds like This Dealer did not bother to even Test the Battery ,Just Gr abed and gave it to you....

Lots of Testers on the market now days to test for AMPS,VOLTS,BAD CELLS,ETC,ETC

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I agree Elliott,
And I will be getting me one of those testers Monday
Good to here that!! Im gonna get me one!! I have a Smart Charger, But it dont have testing Features, I only dropped my Battery in a few weeks Ago for my 400 , a 20 Amp, it's seems to be doing fine, Would like to Do an Amp Test to see where it's At?

I was able to Test My Old Battery which was a 10.5 Amp and Tested from a Location, and the battery Only Tested 7 Amps... So it Lost a few amps.:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts