Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all.

I am offering you the Level 2 of our famous "I am having an issue changing the ignition lock." With a new problem that I hope will trigger your attention.

The new Level is called "My scooter doesn't always start for some obscure reasons."

We can start by stating the obvious to find the issue or what might be the issue. Some of you already know that I am not the greatest mechanic but I love to learn and would rather fix the issue myself for the future.

Facts:

• Burgman 400 from 2000 - 26 000 KMs.
  • Starter, spark plug, and battery were changed this month.

The issue :

-Starting issue for the past 2 weeks. To make it easy, sometimes t start sometimes it doesn't. When it does, I am (most of the time) good for the day, until I eventually have some issue to start the next day.

-By trying to start I end up draining the battery, sometimes I put a new one and it starts, sometimes it doesn't.

-Sometimes I wait 20 minutes before trying again, sometimes it starts, sometimes it (wait for it ...) doesn't.

Issue n*2: I have a petrol smell and I think a leak near on/near the carburetor (I think) where a little piece of metal go up or down when I turn the gas handle.

My scientific studies lead me to ask myself the following questions:

- Can the change of weather (I am in France) temperature and humidity be the cause of such a problem, maybe the fact that I use more my lights? But admitting that I did put a fully charged battery and the scooter didn't start better, I suppose this isn't just linked to a battery issue. When I start, the starter starts turning then nothing, and the sound is kinda the one of a drained battery.

-Can a gas leak lead to an air bubble in the gas circuit that would prevent the scooter to start?
I also thought it might be when I remove the center stand that the petrol move within the scooter and prevent to start, But trying to start the scooter while still on the stand didn't solve anything

I also have an issue to understand why it only happens from time to time.

I hope this was clear enough, and I stay at your disposal for any extra information needed.

Let's beat that level 2 together !

:panhaha:

Bonne soirée à tous

Loic

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
when you turn the key can you hear any noise of a pump working? and when you press the start button, does the starter make noise? is there clicking sounds? is there spark? have you checked for spark? before changing the items you did, did the bike start regularly with no problems?

"it doesnt start"
we need more info.

"but I love to learn and would rather fix the issue myself for the future "
always best to do it yourself. you learn about your bike and dont pay those thieving prices those mechanics charge.

"Starting issue for the past 2 weeks "
sounds like an electrical issue of one of the items you touched.
possibly starter. I would check cables again that go to the starter. use a wire brush and clean the terminals on the starter and try that first. check spark plug cable is seated well. check and clean battery posts and cables..

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
Have ya checked the valves?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If it's a carbed model sounds like it is flooding. Likely need to take the carb off clean it and set the float height may even need a new float needle if you can see a compression ring formed on the rubber tip of the needle.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
well, a 2000 shouldn't be carburated, could be, the statement about the starter sounding like a weak battery when turning the engine is kinda ringing alarm bells for me. being intermittent makes me want to rule out valves and look more to electrical.
My primary concern is the gas leak, it's hard to get anything diagnosed when everything is afire or blown up from ignited fumes, and if you burn the house down S>W>M>B>O will not be pleased.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello.
Thank you all for your quick reply.
Here are my thought on your comments:

- there is indeed a pump noise.

- I had to change the starter as it wasnt turning properly anymore and needed retirement after 20 years of hard work. I changed the spark at the same time as I was gonna open the scooter anyway. I must admit I am not sure how to check the spark.

- As maccecht said, I thought about a flooding issue but not sure how to check that either. I thin a carburetor cost around 50€ and was never changed so if that solves the leak that is one of the problem solved.

I made a video for you to maybe hear and have a better diagnostic to it.

Let's see if that ring a different bell to you

Thank you

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If your Carb is flooding it will flood into the cylinder and you could get hydraulic lock which can damage your engine. If it was my bike and based on your description I would have the carb off disassemble it clean it and fit a new float needle including checking the float height. In the vid it does sound lazy and turns over slowly. Is the battery good?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your Carb is flooding it will flood into the cylinder and you could get hydraulic lock which can damage your engine. If it was my bike and based on your description I would have the carb off disassemble it clean it and fit a new float needle including checking the float height. In the vid it does sound lazy and turns over slowly. Is the battery good?
Hello,
Yes this is a brand new battery that was fully charged.

·
Administrator
20,671 Posts
The North America markets did not get 1998-2001 AN400Y so most in Canada and USA don't know about the early models. All were fuel injected here.

Your picture looks like the acellarator pump that Carbarators have. There will be a leather or neoprein pump seal that will sometimes dry rot or crack.

Reactions: Tromper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The North America markets did not get 1998-2001 AN400Y so most in Canada and USA don't know about the early models. All were fuel injected here.

Your picture looks like the accelerator pump that Carbarators have. There will be a leather or neoprein pump seal that will sometimes dry rot or crack.
Oh ok I didn't know that.
Yes it seems like it is number 22 here :

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
Gas leak. Missed that..that would indeed be a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a message I got on a French forum. Does that sound like a smart move ?
" 1st video we hear the pump making a clicky noise. At first, you should check that the pump arrives well to the carburetor (inlet hose disconnected and put in a bowl or container).

Remove your ignition spark, spread a little gasoline in the candle well (the equivalent of a smallquantity using a pipe or a syringe), put back your ignition spark and start.

Youu will then know whether you should direct yourself on the carburettor or on the ignition etc ...."

Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
On a bike of your age you should be able to check spark by inserting a plug into the HT lead ground the metal body on the cylinder head turn on the ignition and flip the kill switch on and off.It should spark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a bike of your age you should be able to check spark by inserting a plug into the HT lead ground the metal body on the cylinder head turn on the ignition and flip the kill switch on and off.It should spark
Hello, just unscrew the sparkling plug by keeping the interference filter and putting it next to a piece of metal. When I start there is a spark between the 2. There is no issue for the electricity to reach the petrol then.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
So you have a spark good. Suspect flooding so carb issues follow my earlier advice, it leaks so needs to be looked at and you cant do this when it is on the bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hello as you can see the 22 was definitely to be changed.

Not sure if that will be enough but the carb is still in mint condition and was never opened.
Loic that maybe but it has had petrol sitting in it for 20 years. I would check the float needle to see if a ring has formed on the rubber tip and if so change it and make sure the float height is set correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts