Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have an AN400LO which has just reached 8000 miles.

Over the last couple of mornings (upon first start) a loud squealing noise eminates from, what I think is the starter motor.

The starter does it's job / the engine starts but the starter seems to screech upon finalising it's cycle.

The noise only lasts a second or so until starter has done it's job but it is quite a screech.

Once everything is warmed up the starter behaves absolutely fine for the rest of the day with no noises whatsoever.

Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
record the noise maybe on video and take it to the shop , it will be too warm to do it when you get it there, something that is supposed to stay wet and lubed overnight is drying out and wearing out fast . But first check to see where that dang cat is

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Could be the starter clutch but cant be certain.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thank you both for your feedback.

I decided to have a chat with a friend of mine who owns a Yamaha dealership and, without prompting, he too said that it sounded like the starter clutch.

My Burgman is still covered under the UK Suzuki warranty so I phoned my local Suzuki dealership to report the problem and they have said to bring it in, leave it with them overnight and they will assess the situation.

This morning, as suggested, I decided to video/sound record the burger starting to show the dealer but of course sods law dictated that it started perfectly with no screeching !!

I think that the ambient temperature is influential because each time it has screeched the temp was around 5c / 6c but this morning it is nearer to 10c with no screech !!!!

So for the time being it seems that it is ambient temperature critical but eventually it will probably do it all the time or just pack up completely

I am not sure what to do now, as is the case with all intermittent faults, other than just wait and see.

Anyway I will report the eventual outcome in due course.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had such an issue and it turned out to be that the bolts to the starter had come loose. Tightened them with a little locktite on the threads and all was well. Also make sure that the start switch has not jammed on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

An update.

I took my Burger into a dealer in Glasgow, a couple of Tuesdays ago, after having discussed the symptoms and agreeing the cause of the screeching was likely to be the starter clutch and left it with them for four days so they could hear screech for themselves and to take the appropriate action.

They kept it inside the heated workshop overnight and each day put it outside in the cold - Some mornings it was down to 5c and so the screech should have presented itself, as it had done with myself each cold morning albeit I keep my bike in an unheated garage, but when I phoned on the Friday lunchtime they said there had not been a peep and so could not definitely identify the problem and therefore could not obtain autherisation from Suzuki GB to carry out warranty repairs.

We agreed that I would phone next morning to see what was what.

On the Saturday still no screech and so I collected the bike at lunchtime and they said to bring it back if it started up again and was more pronounced and frequent.

They told me when I collected it that, as a precaution, they had taken the starter motor out, stripped it down, inspected it and refitted it first thing on the Wednesday morning i.e the day after I put it into the shop - Both the Tuesday and the Wednesday were warm days and so the noise would likely not have been evident anyway.

So a variable was introduced on the Wednesday and when it did get cold enough the screech did not present - Perhaps they should have left it longer to hear the noise on the colder mornings !

Anyway since collecting bike it has not screeched once even on the recent freezing mornings we have been having here recently.

Will now have to wait and see what happens but something has happened or changed to recitify the problem whether it be temporary or permanent I will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I doubt you will have it happen again. If they stripped it then they cleaned it too. That's often all it takes to fix the clutch problem.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Quantum Mechanic said:
I doubt you will have it happen again. If they stripped it then they cleaned it too. That's often all it takes to fix the clutch problem.
erm yep, if, and if mosquitos carried shotguns frogs woudn't ferk their tongues at them either :shock: ,and if I cleaned up my langwidge maybe they'd take this bracelet offn my leg and I could leave the house :evil:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Again.

Just wanted to clarify the origins of screech.

In this thread I am referring to a screech from starter motor area and which eminates from just abaft of center RHS rather than the CVT sqeal / screech problems which eminate from rear LHS.

Having had three previous Burgman 400's I am well acquainted with the CVT squeal and lumpy shudders, at take off, especially as my last two Burgman 400s were particularly bad.

I did mention the CVT squeal to the dealer when I dropped off the Burger as my current Burgman has mild symptoms from time to time even taking account of the updated new air cooling pipe into CVT fan filter but I am pleased to say that it generally behaves however I thought I should mention the fact to dealer anyway as warranty expires in May 2013.

The dealer said that the CVT clutch issue is one of those Burgman 400 things which have just got to live with, not to worry about and just to enjoy the bike.

Anyway still no screeching from the starter area.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
cleaning the Clutch Area Do work, and the variator it's the Belt Dust that Causes all the Problems, just cleaned a few days Ago, Runs Better but after a Month it will Start doing the same thing again,
as far as the Screech noises,lumpy shudders,Etc,Etc Which has been a problem for all , But not for me Have not had it for at least 6 years, Overhauled the starter Motor Twice since, checked out OK! lube and Cleaning is all the starter needs, Build up from electricity ,Carbon, builds up over time,

from the looks of things, look like the Stock 400 Transmission parts will never change... Best Fix is to Just get rid of the Stock Clutch.

Since your warranty expires soon, you can go ahead and start Removing the Stock and replacing it with After Market Stuff, this will end those problems for good.

Suzuki, change the Clutch Design so many times from 4 shoes to just 3 shoes and still have problems.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just remember that no matter what clutch you put on the scooter you could have the same problems with it. I have read of too many cases where someone here has changed their clutch and had more problems than with the orignal Suzuki clutch.

Bill

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Hunter said:
...The dealer said that the CVT clutch issue is one of those Burgman 400 things which have just got to live with, not to worry about and just to enjoy the bike...
The new cooling duct seems to help. You might also look at your procedure on starting from a full stop. What works for many of us, is to "blip" or move the throttle quickly to 4000 rpms. It gives the clutch shoes enough centrifugal force to engage quickly and not overheat. Once moving, just adjust the throttle to speed up more or slow down.

Chri

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for comments on the CVT issue.

My main concern recently as you know has been the screech from around starter motor area but as I say since the Suzuki shop removed the starter, checked it over and put it back my Burger has been fine with no screeching.

I will see how it goes and if the screech from starter motor area returns then I will take the bike back to the Suzuki dealer and get the problem fixed once and for all.

I am thinking that, before the expiry of my warranty, I might start afresh with a new bike, new warranty, new tires etc and change my Burgman 400 for a Yamaha X-Max 250 which is an excellent all round maxi scooter.

My Yamaha dealer friend knows about the starter screech issue that I have on my Burgman but has said he will take it as a trade in no problem and has offered me a very good trade in value as well.

So I will have to have a long hard think to decide what to do for the best as I really do like my Burgman 400 they are great bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts