Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever try standing upright while riding over rough roads? I tried it once on the Silver Wing but the windshield got in the way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Our suspension is on the harsh side so there are two potential benefits to standing over very rough terrain (e.g. a poorly maintain railroad crossing). One is avoiding back injury (leaning forward is an alternative). The other is better control over the vehicle. You legs can add quite a bit of "shock absorber" action to your body weight.

I find the 650's seating position doesn't encourage standing as much as a "standard" style motorcycle does. Probably because my legs are out in front of me instead of directly under my hips. Similar difficulty to standing on feet-forward "cruiser" style motorcycles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is a good reason to learn to ride on a dirt bike early in your riding training. In an emergency or if a large obstacle is encountered, standing up before impact gives you better control, allows your knees to absorb some of the shock. It also gets your butt off the seat to allow the back of the bike to move and not bounce you over the handlebars and windshield. It lowers the center of gravity and gives you better control. You should practice this so you can use it in an emergency situation. Since we Burgers don't see these situations often it is a skill many of us do not use often, but one that we should know how to do if needed.

Experience of an old dirt bike rider!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I've stood upright on both my 400 and my 650. As others have mentioned the biggest problem with doing it is that your feet are in front of you. The cutouts in the footboards provided to let you put your feet down are right where your feet need to be to make standing up most practical. You are to far forward to make it work that well for riding on rough roads.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No problem here standing on my V-Strom 650 but standing on my 650 Burgman is a totally different issue. The floorboards and handlebars just aren't set up for standing on the Burgman. Tried it once to see how it would work and wasn't happy with the way my body and the Burgman handled. Won't do it again. If I was to hit some type of road/pavement riding the Burgman (where I would normally stand on my V-Strom), I will just lean forward on the Burgman to unload the weight on the rear wheel as much as I can with the lean. The Burgman is a street bike, not an Adventure bike or a Dual-Sport.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
yup - stand on the KLR 650 all the time, once in a while on the ST1100, never on the Burgman - centre of mass of your body versus bike is all wrong.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
this is good advice - the best thing a wannabe rider can do it take a dirt course.
That is a good reason to learn to ride on a dirt bike early in your riding training.
this is terrible and dangerous advice for a Burgman rider aside from being wrong about the CoG

It lowers the center of gravity and gives you better control. You should practice this so you can use it in an emergency situation. Since we Burgers don't see these situations often it is a skill many of us do not use often, but one that we should know how to do if needed.
Experience of an old experienced trials rider who still rides dirt and a Burgman 650 and a top heavy tourer.
....just don't do it on a Burgman ....period.

The Burgman's low CoG is a major feature for handling in all situations ....stick with it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I sometimes stand up while going over speed bumps at a resonable and prudent speed for that particular road at that particular traffic situation (not many kids around a school on a sunday afternoon).

For lesser road irregularities, I've found that leaning as far forward as I can greatly reduces the jolts going up my spine.

I've read that some places in USA standing up while riding is a traffic offense by itself .

WTF? So you're just supposed to take the beating of a crappy road with a smile, in stead of standing up and using your legs as extra suspension. I don't get it.
I was taught to use that technique whenI took riding lessons.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I stand up on my Burgman all the time. Just like I do on my GL1800, my KLR 650, and my PC800. Every now and then it just feels good to stretch the legs out and get off your butt for a minute or two. Let some air get to the "boys" and restore circulation to where it had been restricted for a while.

If I had a bike that would not let me stand on the pegs (or running boards) two or three times an hour, such as most cruisers, then it would not be occupying space in my garage.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've read that some places in USA standing up while riding is a traffic offense by itself .

WTF? So you're just supposed to take the beating of a crappy road with a smile, in stead of standing up and using your legs as extra suspension. I don't get it. I was taught to use that technique when I took riding lessons.
I believe that this is what they're trying to prevent when they make a law that says standing up while riding is an offense:

I doubt that this is the technique they taught you when you took riding lessons. Sadly I actually see people doing this out in traffic on the interstate highways.

But if you're standing on the pegs/boards while going through a patch of rough road, you'll be fine as far as the law's concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
On hot summer days, standing up can be a very nice way to cool your butt. Of couse, it freaks out drivers following you.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I stand up on my Burgman all the time. Just like I do on my GL1800, my KLR 650, and my PC800. Every now and then it just feels good to stretch the legs out and get off your butt for a minute or two. Let some air get to the "boys" and restore circulation to where it had been restricted for a while.
I really don't think it's something to encourage - I don't think it feels the same at all as bikes with pegs to anchor your foot, a tank to anchore knees.
Throttle control is paramount at slow speed easy enough to learn in the dirt...doing it wrong on pavement is painful if only to the wallet.

I still maintain the geometry is wrong and no tank to brace your knees.

This is correct

this is not
He is not upright over the pegs

Even here he stays seated for better control and that reflects most of the hardcore riders here doing streams
Tho we all stand on rough terrain and hills.

Sure getting your butt up is no issue but I consider standing on say the KLR a proper riding position for dirt and do it on the highway to stretch.

I think it's poor practice to encourage riders with no dirt experience to stand and really don't consider particularly safe on the Burgman regardless of experience.

If you want to lose the butt problems get a BeadRider.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I stood up once on a Zuma and I'm not sure what happened, but I went down! My friends said my head bounced off the blacktop! My lens in my glasses were scratched deeply, part of my eye brow was stuck in my hinge of my glasses, road rash, etc! It was nasty! Obviously no helmet, dumb, but I figured it was only a 50cc moped, so I didn't wear one. That is just not like me! I have 11 helmets to choose from, and I almost always wear one, but I got bit that time, so wear a helmet, and keep your butt on the seat!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Lean forward yes, stand up no on a Burgman.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lean forward yes, stand up no on a Burgman.

I must have some extraordinary skills then! Just yesterday I was once again standing up on my Burgman as I was riding down the road. Just as I have done on everyone of my bikes over the last 45 years. Granted, I don't go more than a mile or two before I sit back down but stand up I do and will keep doing. Sure makes a long ride just that much easier.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yes Rusty you are very Talented! ;)
"Standing" on any bike will reduce the impact of a bump in the road. Especially at RR tracks! If you grew up on a dirt bike like me you get it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes Rusty you are very Talented! ;)
"Standing" on any bike will reduce the impact of a bump in the road. Especially at RR tracks! If you grew up on a dirt bike like me you get it.
Oh trust me, I would not like to attempt to be standing tall on my Burgman when crossing RR tracks! Not if I was going any speed to speak of. A motocrosser a Burgman aint! Oh no, I don't think that I would like that at all. But just putting (less than 50 mph) down a nice smooth road I do like to stand for a bit every now and then.

Comfort and me, we are good buddies. :happy11:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Oh trust me, I would not like to attempt to be standing tall on my Burgman when crossing RR tracks!
Never stand tall on a Burgman. :rolleyes: Only stand a little off the seat to lesson impact. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts