Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or has Sta-bil doubled in price

I have an older bottle (quart) of Sta-bil that had about a half an inch left

So I went to my local Auto Zone for a new bottle and it was $14 and some change (quart)

I thought the last time I bought some it was like $8.00

They also changed the label with more bold lettering

Are they messing with us like Sea Foam did?

Yikes

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have you been grocery shopping lately ? Every thing is going up . You have to eat but you don't have to treat your gas for storage , just run it out . Or wait for a sale ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just remember, your wonderful federal government keeps saying "inflation is in check." I'm sure that they would NEVER lie.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Try using Sea Foam instead of Sta-Bil, as it protects for the winter and then cleans your fuel injectors in the Spring. It's about $8.00 at NAPA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have you been grocery shopping lately ? Every thing is going up . You have to eat but you don't have to treat your gas for storage , just run it out . Or wait for a sale ?

TheReaper!
Come on up to Ontario, Canada. Our minimum wage has gone up to $11.00 per hours. Watch our prices climb, and that 13% sales tax

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My Suzuki dealer was telling me they used it one season on all their customers winterising, and had nothing but headaches the next spring. Never again, and never any problems again. I've heard MAYBE if it's the marine StaBil, but lots of people bash the regular StaBil. No personal experience. I use SeaFoam.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I've heard MAYBE if it's the marine StaBil,<<

I've used the marine version with good success, but would be game for giving Seafoam a try.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gotta say I've been using Stabil for years without any problems. I travel between Florida and Ky and have bikes in both places, so I store the bikes and cars with either Stabil or Star Tron, whichever is on the shelf at the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sta-Bil, Seafoam, Star Tron, All are going to save your stuff about the same...

Best way is to run your tank try, yep let the engine run out of gas. Nope it's not going to hurt it one bit. Once run dry, put at least a pint of your favorite stuff in the tank, start it up until it starts, then turn it off.

Now take the spark plug out, put some of your favorite oil in the cylinder, with the plug out, start it briefly to get that oil on all the walls of the cylinder. Now put the plug back in, and don't do anything else until it's riding season again.

When riding season comes, take out the spark plug, run the starter for 3 to 5 seconds, (hopefully you had the bike on a trickle charger) to get the oil out of the cylinder(and have a rag there to gather up all that splatter of oil). Put the spark plug back in, fill up the tank with your favorite brand of gas (hopefully Ethanol Free, but never E-85). Don't go over 45 for at least an hour, to get your tires reconditioned for the new season, and you to get the feeling of the bike again.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Sta-Bil, Seafoam, Star Tron, All are going to save your stuff about the same...

Best way is to run your tank try, yep let the engine run out of gas. Nope it's not going to hurt it one bit. Once run dry, put at least a pint of your favorite stuff in the tank, start it up until it starts, then turn it off.

Now take the spark plug out, put some of your favorite oil in the cylinder, with the plug out, start it briefly to get that oil on all the walls of the cylinder. Now put the plug back in, and don't do anything else until it's riding season again........[clipped]...........
Such things are not always an option.............out for a run last year on my 400, when I got low on gas I stopped and filled up for the run home, and around thirteen miles later, my piston decided it had had enough, and reverted to it's component molecules.

So I was left with a full tank of gas (or just about), and a dead engine.

I used marine Sta-bil, and after a new cylinder, two replacement piston kits, and jacking with the engine for a year, when I got her started back-up, she ran like a top, and continues to do so.

No complaints on Sta-bil from me.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Curious, purchase generator it have sticker from manufacturer than recommend use Sta-Bil when not using past 30 day or store, purchase pressure washer it have sticker from Briggs that recommend use Sta-Bil when not using past 30 day or store, purchase Ariens snow blower it have sticker from manufacturer than recommend use Sta-Bil when store, purchase Toro Snow thrower for sidewalk it have sticker from manufacturer that recommend use Sta-Bil when store, Every December put bike in winter storage always use Sta-Bil for many year and every spring bike start at turn of key.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Curious, purchase generator it have sticker from manufacturer than recommend use Sta-Bil when not using past 30 day or store, purchase pressure washer it have sticker from Briggs that recommend use Sta-Bil when not using past 30 day or store, purchase Ariens snow blower it have sticker from manufacturer than recommend use Sta-Bil when store, purchase Toro Snow thrower for sidewalk it have sticker from manufacturer that recommend use Sta-Bil when store, Every December put bike in winter storage always use Sta-Bil for many year and every spring bike start at turn of key.
I feel sure the manufacturers received a substantial payment for promoting Sta-Bil for their products. Otherwise, they would have suggested a gasoline stabilizer without using a brand name. I think BMW recommended a particular brand of oil at one time. I don't trust any recommendation when a brand name is recommended rather than specifications.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think Sta-bil has come out with a new product that is supposed to coat the gas tank with vapor to protect it as well. I haven't bought any so I couldn't say how much it might cost. I've used regular Sta-bil for many years without any problems. I have recently changed to Regane with built in fuel stabilizers as well as cleaning agents. I have noticed a lot of manufacturers putting ethanol treatments in their products now so I'll bet the old Sta-bil will disappear from the store shelves soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts