Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been wanting the best mpg over whiplash speed for my 400. I put in a new k&n air filter and adjusted the idle speed accordingly, changing belt, and putting in 20 gram Dr. Pulley sliders. Also, I'm getting a larger Clearview Shield to fit me more. Are there any tricks I can do besides be easy on the throttle to save more gas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Always drive down hill with the wind at your back. :laughing5:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very funny. Just how to get up the hill with good mpg is the question at hand! HaHa

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Accelerate smartly up to speed don't take for ever to get there on the smallest throttle opening, mine seems best in the 45/60 mph range, look well ahead so you can roll the throttle off early and don't have the brake, keep cornering speed up and accelerate early for hills so you can let it cruse over the top at around your cruising speed, let it gain speed down hill so you can let it bleed off going up the other side. every time you use your brakes you are turning expensive energy into wast heat so ride ahead but don't carry it to extreme as hospital and crash damage bills tend to be expensive and things can get painful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quest for MPG

Hi,

I have been wanting the best mpg over whiplash speed for my 400. I put in a new k&n air filter and adjusted the idle speed accordingly, changing belt, and putting in 20 gram Dr. Pulley sliders. Also, I'm getting a larger Clearview Shield to fit me more. Are there any tricks I can do besides be easy on the throttle to save more gas? Thanks
K&N won't help mileage unless you are replacing a really plugged up stocker.....larger windscreen will cause you to lose MPG.....may end up worse off than when you started....

TW

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have to agree with the above!

Regular cleaning of the idle adjustment screw is the best thing you can do to the scoot besides throttle control. ;)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
K&N won't help mileage unless you are replacing a really plugged up stocker.....larger windscreen will cause you to lose MPG.....may end up worse off than when you started....

TW
+1 on this, the GIVI windscreen cost me 3-4 MPG at highway speeds, and 2 or better after I cut 5-1/2" off the top--went back to the stock screen and got it all back...

·
Registered
302 Posts
OK, this will sound strange but today, for no real reason I decided to put hi-test in my 400. It had been shuttering when it was at a speed lower than 25 mph. Well, after riding for about 30 minutes something strange happened, it started running much smoother. After riding for an hour it felt like someone had put a rocket under it! On top of that, by the end of our ride my gas gauge was a bit higher up than it had been on previous rides, which MAY mean that running hi-test in your bike could net higher gas mileage. Just a suggestion. I have never run hi-test in any bike I have ever owned, but maybe that ethanol crap is causing our bikes to get lower gas mileage. It sure does that to my car!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, are you talking about the premium gas? I had just been told to use that today by mechanic. He said small engines need the higher octane. Do you think that replacing the belt and putting the 20 gram sliders in will help it much?

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 650's mileage went down on the latest tank of Costco gasohol and it started missing a little at idle. My riding buddy's Honda ST1100 was missing and sputtering (brand in tank unknown). We went for a 150-mile tour of WA's Olympic Peninsula last week and he filled it with 87-octane real gasoline about halfway through -- he said that he never ran anything other than 92-octane before but the only real gasoline available was 87. The sputtering went away and the bike was very happy on 87 although he didn't try any full-throttle stuff. I have a feeling that the WA refineries have switched over to the winter gasoline blend ... or should I say winter government-gasohol-garbage blend.

AZ doesn't have a lot of pure gasoline available but you're still better off than living in the two loony bins to the west and northwest of you (CA and NV). Check out the locations to buy real gasoline:

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

I get about 52mpg when touring the 650 on real gasoline, that drops to under 50 on government-gasohol-garbage. With the original spark plugs, it missed at low RPM (below 2700) on gasohol but not on real gasoline.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
+1 on real gas not gas-ohal
No need for premium octane with it!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, in az the pure gas you have to buy in 5 gallon drums. So, there really isn't any way for me to do that. So, is that what you are talking about? Or am i missing something?

·
Registered
735 Posts
That web site shows about 10 businesses in the Phoenix area that sell non-gasohol but I don't know about 5-gallon drums (or do you mean 50-gallon?). It appears that most of the non-gasohol in AZ is high-octane stuff (remember Sunoco 260 at the "custom-blending" pumps?).

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I explored all those options for AZ. It looks like I would have to pay 12 a gallon for the stuff. I just can't justify it. Don't know what I can do about the gas. Just filled up with the supreme from chevron. I was told that would be better than just unleaded. Is there any sort of additive for it?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like the ethanol lobby has AZ by the short hairs. Here in Fungus Corners suburbs (Seattle area), Costco gasohol is $3.29 and Cenex pure gasoline (87-octane) is $3.96. I don't run 92-octane in anything so I can't comment on it except that thermodynamically speaking, 92 has less energy content per gallon than 87 (which has less than diesel).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, I was talking about premium. The problem locally is that the only non ethanol gas is premium. When we ride to some of the outer counties we can actually find some stations that don't have ethanol in their gas, and my bike runs great on the regular from them. In conclusion, ethanol is crap for bikes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds like the ethanol lobby has AZ by the short hairs. Here in Fungus Corners suburbs (Seattle area), Costco gasohol is $3.29 and Cenex pure gasoline (87-octane) is $3.96. I don't run 92-octane in anything so I can't comment on it except that thermodynamically speaking, 92 has less energy content per gallon than 87 (which has less than diesel).
Not according to the API:

According to the American Petroleum Institute, premium traditionally has a slightly higher energy content, which can provide better gas mileage, but any gains will be difficult to detect in daily driving. If there is a mileage advantage, it will be a far cry from saying premium is cost effective and negates the extra cost.

http://ask.cars.com/2007/07/premium-gasolin.html

Octane is a measure of resistance to combustion and not available power. And your best bet for good mileage is to find a station that does not serve up corn (ethanol) with your gasoline. Ethanol contains less (34% less) energy per gallon than pure gasoline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well I'll be dipped. Yeah octane rating is a measure of detonation resistance. But we actually tested the BTU content of various fuels as a lab exercise in organic chemistry (for engineering) 35 years ago and "high-test" had less BTU/lb than "regular." Of course that's when we REALLY had real gasoline (with tetraethyl lead -- high-performance avgas as high as 145 octane, try to make THAT stuff detonate).

Price was wrong, real gasoline (87) at Cenex this morning is $3.79 versus $3.29 for gasohol. Filled my girlfriend's 400 with real 87 at Cenex and the performance improvement was noticeable (+100RPM idle speed, no surging at part-throttle any more).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Everyone is hitting the nail on the head, the money saving between 87 and 91 is not but $1 per fill in a 4 gal tank, but the performance and mileage will make a diff. But if nothing else is avail but 87, it burns. E10 fuel sucks, E15 is even worse. It helps to run some cleaner through your tank from time to time to help clean out all that his fuel leaves behind, any of them will do, ie, Techron, Mystery Oil, Seafoam etc. GK13, the larger screen is great for comfort, bad for mpg, but the trade off can be worth it. Smooth throttle and stopping is the best practice. K&N filters, not worth it in my book, there was a day when I would argue that but not any more, NOT WORTH THE MONEY! Sliders, as I understand, help the performance of the scoot and may help with mpg but not by much, and the added performance will burn the fuel due to a heavy wrist, the vairator only closes so much, slides effect the area between open and closed not the limits, but a great add on to boost performance! Octane prevents pre-ignition of fuel, pre-ignition is cause by high operating temps and the compression ratio of the engine. Higher compression engines ran hard cause higher oper temps that required higher octane to help prevent pre-ignition (engine knock/pinging), So, increased mpg, dont hold your breath but "it could happen", better running scoot, could be! For a few pennies, why not!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I certainly appreciate the gas debate. I have been running my first tank of supreme from chevron. I also put in the 20 gram sliders and new belt this afternoon. It seems I'm getting 200 + or - a few. The thing that I like is that when I hit 45 mph I'm about 4,000 rpm. Right when I hit the 4,000 mark, the rpm's drop by 1,000! That I'm more than happy about. I have the k&n air filter in, and am pretty happy with it. When I first installed it, I was able to turn the idle speed down quite a bit. Between the things I've changed and the things that were stock, I like the way it's set up now. Thank you again to all who helped the discussion! have a great time riding!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts