Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me....
When you grab a fist full of left brake lever (front and back brake), are BOTH the front calipers squeezing or is only one getting squeezed?

TIA
pedz

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pete:

If you have the 650, the brakes are not linked. Left hand, rear only

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 04 AN650.
They are not linked?
That's surprising to me....for some reason or another I thought they were.
Go figure....
Thanks. That's good to know. I like them separate.
be well.
pedz.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Pete - you do have a 650 and as indicated above do not therefore have combination brakes, so left is rear and right is front! :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is so cool, and I am very happy to know this very important point.
I don't know how or where I misfound that bad fact.
btw - i usally use both...front more than rear.
pedz

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pete,
You did get the correct information, but it is for the 400 Burgman. On it the left is both front and back, while the right is front only. It took my wife Robynn a while to get used to the fact that the 400's left brake is so powerful for stopping, especially when used with the right. No matter what model you ride, I switch from our 400 to the 650 and back, use both brakes at all times for max. braking. It pays to practice your emergency stops at all times. I was riding in the rain near Poulsbo, came off the freeway and braked where some oil had raised. If I hadn't been practicing my quick stop and release technigues I would have broke some plastic. As it was I only had the front end skidd a little, recovered, and then stopped to clean out the old shorts. :oops: Keep the shinny side up and enjoy.
T. Michael

·
Registered
496 Posts
What do you mean re: quick stop and release breaking technique? There have been a couple of times when I had to suddenly stop on my Savage. The rear end swung wildly, had I released the break I would have been thrown. What do you do differently on the Scooter?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Evelyn said:
What do you mean re: quick stop and release breaking technique? There have been a couple of times when I had to suddenly stop on my Savage. The rear end swung wildly, had I released the break I would have been thrown. What do you do differently on the Scooter?
Evelyn,

There is no difference in breaking technique between a motorcycle and a Burgman scooter. The only differences in braking technique are caused by addition of ABS, and to a lesser degree, linked braking systems. You are correct that releasing the rear brake at the point where the rear tire is swinging sideways will usually result in a violent high side crash. It would be the same on a Burgman.

I am assuming that "Teacher's" scooter stayed straight, and he was basically trying to emulate ABS in a manual way. I will say that my 650 has shown a tendency to stay straight in panic stops, even when a wheel starts skidding briefly. As long as I'm straight up and experiencing no sideways motion, I will also ease up on the rear brake in that situation - but I don't release it entirely.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn,
I think Teacher was talking about his 400 -linked brakes- on any bike you should hold the rear brake if it locks up and ride the skide to a stop (unless you release the skid fast) . the front brake has to be released (real fast) or your going down. :(
On a linked break system if the front skids you still release front brake hand leaver pressure , and this should stop the skid as the left hand (linked to the front) will not lock up the front b4 the rear is locked.
NOTE -This does not work out on gravel, water ,ice & snow.
We all need to practice panic stops, those of us with linked brakes (400)need to understand there advantages and disadvantages

·
Registered
496 Posts
Even though I have taken an MSC and the Experienced rider MSC, I think I will have to take another one. When I had to stop suddenly and on a painted cross walk, I squeezed both brakes real hard (Savage) and kept the front wheel straight while the rear was swinging wildly from side to side. Am I to understand that had I released the front break I would not have skidded?

Since the rear break on the 400 is linked (30% of brake power?) are you saying that I could release the front break to avoid the skid or lessen it? Also wouldn't the rear break work fine alone on gravel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts