Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, new 650 burger. When I first start it, there's a squeel for
two seconds, then it stops. It sounds like the engine. I guess it
stops when the oil pressure comes up. It's making me nervous.

What do you think?

I do have quite a ways to go on the factory warrantee. I could wait
til it gets worse.

I wonder if it's too late for the $300 warrantee. (for 3 years)

Craig

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nope,
It's not too late for the extended warranty but you've got the 1 year
Suzuki one going right now. Why spend more money.

If the squeel (I hate squeelers) is the same one that you hear when
you switch from D to M (that's the little yellow button folks) then
I'd say yours is a talker like ours. Also, switching to Power mode
will also make a "squinch" sound as the servos are moving the belt
quickly.
When we start our 650's, the control brain module sets the belt at a "known"
place on the CVT and thus the "squeek".

Your new 650's belt is so new that it may have some ruff edges to work
out before this and other sounds change during break-in and a little beyond.

If the squeel is not coming from the transmission and it seems like it's the engine
maybe the choke mechanism is new and noisy. Maybe not.
Have a real mechanic check it out No Charge if all else fails.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is the CVT belt. Mine does that once in awhile. Others have mentioned it too. I don't think it is indicative of a problem. Probably a bit of condensation on the belt from being parked overnight. Reason I say that is because it does it more frequently when I'm touring and parking outside - seldom does it when it has been in my garage overnight.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Squeelers

It stays in the garage. But you're right about the belt. I'm getting
some black (belt dust) on the rear wheel. It must be coming out
the vent.

On the coast, it's been dark gray and misting fog the past two weeks.

It could be the moisture.

Craig

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yep,
It could be the moistness but ya' know....
The 650's CVT is sealed and near clean-room conditions are used
when handling the insides.
Dust is not supposed to appear out here.

You're sure the CVT filter is clean and unbroken.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Condensation can occur even within sealed containers, but if cooling air can reach the belt via that filter - you know it isn't hermetically sealed in there...

And yes - I did check my CVT filter when I returned from my first tour this summer (first time I'd heard the squeel). It was clean.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Squeelers

Monterey10 said:
It stays in the garage. But you're right about the belt. I'm getting
some black (belt dust) on the rear wheel. It must be coming out
the vent.

On the coast, it's been dark gray and misting fog the past two weeks.

It could be the moisture.

Craig
That's more than likely brake dust from your rear brake. If it is indeed belt dust you have a problem, your belt won't have any longevity.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Monterey,
I get the impression that you think that the rear wheel is driven by a belt. That black plastic cover connected to your rear wheel hides an aluminum case containing six (I think) aluminum gears that drive the rear wheel. The dust you see is mostly brake dust.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
mactd83 said:
MINE MAKES THE SQUEAK EVERYTIME I START IT UP NO MATTER HOW ITS STORED OR TIME BETWEEN STARTS.
What is your RPM at start-up? It should be almost exactly 1000RPM. If it's much higher, that could cause some sqealing.

Do you have a lot of miles on yours? Maybe your CVT belt is getting worn. AFAIK, even a slight decrease in width could cause slipping, since the computer sets the position of the pulley based on an assumed width.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
On mine, rpm at start-up is normal. This isn't really a squeal - like you'd get with a worn belt on a car. It is a short chirp. Mactd83 lives on the Florida coast. If it is due to condensation, well, locale could have something something to do with it. And, as some others have reported, the 650 also occasionally does the same chirp when switching in and out of Power mode / Manual mode.

It would be normal for a belt to stretch or wear in a little bit during the first few thousand miles, which is probably why I never noticed the chirp until after 6K miles - but others have noticed it on almost new machines. Since it is not just one or two machines doing it - it's common. And since it is common, if in fact it is a problem that could affect reliability - Suzuki would have to do a recall.

I think this is part of the characteristic noise set for this machine - like the dieseling noise at idle. I will mention it to my dealer at the next service interval, just so it is on record while I am under warranty. But I can't get too excited about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my rpm at startup is around 1200 rpms till its warm then it drops to the 1000 line after about 1 minute or so. this squeel has been present since it was new off the lot. and yes i also hear a similar squeel when changing different tranny modes. i believe this is just a characteristic noise of the cvt. i now have 8200 miles on mine with no problems with the cvt to date. also so theres no misunderstanding, the squeel, i hear it twice within 3 seconds of startup. the first one is a little louder than the second which leads me to believe its just the setting of the belt by the computer. after the 2 quick squeels its gone.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
If it's just a couple of short "chirps" I wouldn't worry about it, but if I read the initial post correctly he's getting a long, two-second or so, squeal. That's not good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Squeal

8) My has done the same thing ever since i drove it off the lot. My dealer over in Tulsa, said it was the in drive line engageing. Everytime i start up,swicth from drive to manual mode or power mode. However i would talk to my dealer about this. Like Pauljo said, and get on record, just in case. My is more like the chirp, or very short squeal. Maybe 1/2 a second to a full second in duration. I think it's a quirk in the scoot, nothing more. It's like one of the post said you have a full year to purchase a extened warranty. When i bought my 400 burgman i didn't purchase the extened till i bought my 650. Now both scoots have them. Since i'm not mechanially inclined. Happy scooten.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I strongly suspect that the "black belt dust" you're talking about is actually rear brake pad dust. :roll:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Richard said:
I strongly suspect that the "black belt dust" you're talking about is actually rear brake pad dust. :roll:
Burger Bob said:
[Posted on Thu Jul 08, 2004 20:12 20] The dust you see is mostly brake dust.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep

I'm more than certain the dust is the rear brake pads.

Now that I'm more used to the bike, I can detect (servo) squeel
(chirps) when underway. It must be a normal aspect of the bike.

I remember my old Honda Elite had a noisy drive as well.

Craig

·
Registered
11 Posts
Squeel is there at 25mph!!!!

My 650 occasionally has the squeel at start up....but worse, it's very prevelant at 25-35mph...anyone else experiencing this? Dealer just blew me off when I complained. This is not the transmission whine we are all used to...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Squeel is there at 25mph!!!!

JamesOTN said:
My 650 occasionally has the squeel at start up....but worse, it's very prevelant at 25-35mph...anyone else experiencing this? Dealer just blew me off when I complained. This is not the transmission whine we are all used to...
I've never heard mine squeal other than at startup, or when changing transmission modes. It is a brief "chirp" - not a constant squeal.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chirp

I've pretty much tracked my chirp down the the electric motor that
adjusts the tranny. Just after start up, the computer sends messages
down there to tighten things up, and squeeky gets going.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts