Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 burgman 650 with 10,500 miles. When I get it up past 65 mph I hear a squealing noise. Once the speed is under 65 the noise goes away. Any thoughts? It has a 30 day dealer warranty and I don't feel the dealer is being honest with me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having just recently purchased a 2007 AN650 with about 6k miles, I can say that mine doesn't squeal at any speed. Not knowing much about the big Burgman other than what I've read on the forums, I'd say that it's not normal.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
With my 09, the only thing I can hear at that speed is the wind.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
A squeal is not normal. The gears in the final drive on the 650 have a distinctive whine but you can hear that at about any speed.

Check the fluid level in the transmission and final drive to ensure they have fluid in them.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
the symptom you are reporting falls into the I should be alarmed category.

when my belt was failing on my std 2004, I would sometimes hear a faint squeal on a cold start.

If yours squeals at speed at 65+ mph, it can be the belt that isn't being positioned properly or something else. Hard to diagnose anything by noise only.

Take it back to the dealership, have them go over it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Is the noise constant or intermittent , and can you pin point where it is coming from ?
If you can't tell when you are on the road , put the bike on the center stand and have some one open the throttle up while you see if you can figure out where the noise is coming from .

Also you mentioned you didn't trust the dealer . I'm pretty sure there are records of work done on these in either the dealership where you bought it , or with Suzuki ? I would ask for those records and report back here with your findings .

What I am thinking and while it's only a possibility , the dealer might have stuck you with a troubled bike . While it's not common there have been bikes with the same mileage with early CVT failures .

Time is of the essence on this , so get it in to the dealer NOW ! Then keep the dated paper work , if you go after the dealer for knowingly selling you a LEMON , you'll need that dated complaint .

I hope that helps and it's exactly what I would do .

Good luck !.........TheReaper!

·
Registered
704 Posts
My '12 Burgman 650 had a squeal one day. Spent over 15 minutes moving everything that moved. It only did it over 45 mph and I couldn't find it until I lifted the windshield. The GIVI windshield starts a squeal/whistle at times so just a quick flip of the windshield button to raise it a quarter inch solves the problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Squealing from engine or tupperware.

I had harmonic vibrations from the windshield then from the dash board that sounded like squealing that took me about 6,000mi to shim all the parts that were rubbing.

If you go to LeDudes website, there is also a section on how to shim your windshield. There is also squealing from the dash that I used silicone to keep plastic parts from scratching and squealing. It is annoying shim the tupperware, but I'm sure it is easier than if it is coming from the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem

OK I removed the cover and when I opened the oil fill it is empty. That could be the problem. The radiator colent was empty also. I can see the break fluid but where can I check the transmission fluid?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Not seeing oil through the engine oil fill plug is normal. Look down on the left side back from the side stand and you will find a round opening in the lower body work. Look through it and you will see a sight glass in the side of the crankcase. You should be able to see the engine oil level in that glass..

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
As for the transmission oil its kind of hard to describe where you will find the overflow plug that you remove to check the level. Best bet is to go to LeDude's 650 center and look at the instructions for changing the transmission oil. You will find pictures that show you where the plug is. https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
OK I removed the cover and when I opened the oil fill it is empty. That could be the problem. The radiator colent was empty also. I can see the break fluid but where can I check the transmission fluid?
What cover did you remove?

The swing arm cover. If you did and pulled the top plug you would need to put a finger tip in the hole to see if the oil is at the bottom of the plug hole. This takes 90 weight gear lube, most of us use 75W90 Syn.

If the right side cover then following LeDudes oil change guides.

And where in the world are you.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The SQUEAL that you hear are the gerbils on the treadmill complaining that they are running to fast on that wheel....................;);)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK checked the little hole and there is oil in there. I dropped the bike off at the dealers and they are going to check it over. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
mao, as Dave asked where in the world are you ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts