Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this week that my front brakes are squeaking.

It started just before 1,500 miles. They mainly squeak loudly when braking from low/slow or freewheel speed.

I was riding with Burg650 on Tuesday, he noticed the squeak and said his did the same for a little bit, then quieted back down

I know this is normal on a car but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a squeaky front brake on the 650????

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have 3000kms on my 650 and have started noticing the squeak you talk about. It also occurs during same braking times as yours. It hasn't bothered me enough to look at yet. Maybe I'll just ignore it and hope it goes away like your friend's did.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One thing that I have oberseved on my 650 since purchased in mid Aug is that for normal driving I hardly every use the brakes since the engine braking is so perfect. My sons noticed this during recent trip to CO mountains where they observed when riding behind me that I seldom used any braking coming down steep grades around curves.

My knowledge of brake squeel comes from my experience in the study of friction and wear issues in magnetic recording. Squeel of any sort from hinges, tires or chalk across a blackboard is the result of the stick-slip phenomenon.

Sometimes dust particles at the sliding interface can cause this to happen. Suggest you try to clean the disk and pads to see if this help.

Hope this helps

dave

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine started just after my first service. It doesn't happen to often but it does from time to time. I haven't noticed any problems or scoring on the rotors and other than the noise the bike is fine, stops great!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Harmonics

I've watched the manufacturers dealing with squeeky brakes for some
time. The .05 cent solution was to put a thin rubber or plastic backing
on the back of the brake pads.

The brakes will sometimes vibrate, making a hum to a squeel depending on the speed or conditions.

The rubber backing dampened the tendency for the pads to do this. Most
manufacturers have an insert behind the pad. In the old days, there
was a heat proof product we used to paint on the back of the pads.

Try touching your finger to a speaker cone while music is playing from it. Your finger absorbs the vibration and no more sound comes out.

Now, if you have small rocks in your pads, you will see a ring forming
on the disk. STOP the bike and rid your brake pads of this contaminate.

The beauty is that it's easy enough to see the disks and to see how they're fairing. Smooth disks, examine the rubber dampening behind the pads. Scraped up disks, look for gravel.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I ahve a suzuki intruder. they are well known for squeeky brakes. alwasy have been. How I fixed mine was I changed over to Kevlar pads. Some people beveled the leading edge of the pads using a grinder. that way the pads won't vibraate much.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My Burgman 650 starting to have a squeaky sound coming from the front brakes at slow speed stops. This started around 2,700 miles... I have 3,300 miles now but its not as bad as it was before.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
11,700 miles on my '03 650 and I've never heard the brakes squeal. But disk brakes on any bike or car can do that if the pads get dusty. The composition of the pads matters too. The more metallic the compound, the more resistant to fade, and the higher likelihood that they'll squeal. Apparently there are ways that the manufacturer can dampen this - from reading the prior posts. That may be one reason that we don't hear disk brakes squeal as often as they did 20 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts