Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a squeaking sound especially at lower speeds. It sounds like it could be coming from the belt or the pulleys. Has anyone else had the same problem?
injun

·
Registered
220 Posts
squeak

I haven't read on this forum of anyone else having this problem.

I would suggest, assuming it's still under warranty - and it should be - mine's for a full year, that you take it to your dealer and have them determine the squeak's origin and fix it.

I also live in Arizona. From which dealer did you buy your Burgman?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
injun,

If it is the same noise I had, it is coming from that black plastic cover on the front of the windscreen - the one that covers the windshield mounting screws. It went away after I installed an aftermarket windscreen. I am still using the same cover, but I think it fits more tightly on the new windscreen. Try pressing on those vertical black fingers that extend up from the cover - you might be able to reproduce the noise.

The same issue was mentioned by another person or two over in the Yahoo forum when I brought it up. Annoying, but nothing serious.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Injun,

While riding my 04 AN650 there is a very distinct squeak/squeal harldy
noticable at low speeds, when switching between manual and auto modes.
Will Also do it at Idle when switching power mode.
I believe it is normal, I wonder if this is what you hear?

I now have 2200 miles. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
injun said:
I am experiencing a squeaking sound especially at lower speeds. It sounds like it could be coming from the belt or the pulleys. Has anyone else had the same problem?
injun
Yes, I hear this sound to. It happens when I change form auto to manual, suddenly open or close the throttle and during the steep decent to the parking lot under the building in which I work.

On my AN400 I heard this too, so I believe the squeaking on the AN650 is from the belt.

In Europe the warranty period is 2 years! I'll wait until the sound gets worse before I claim this as a serious defect.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Add me to the list. I first noticed the squeak/squeal when first starting the scooter in the morning while I was on my recent 4 day trip. Today I stopped at a store. The scoot had been in manual mode, but I hit the yellow button to return to auto before shutting it off - chirp.

When I got back home in my garage, at standstill, I switched in and out of manual mode several times. It chirped everytime I switched out of manual mode. I have a liitle over 6000 miles on the 650 now.

Usually a sound like that indicates belt slippage - and belt slippage can lead to wear I think. It could be that the belt stretched a bit over the 6000 miles.

It sounds like several folks have noticed this. I'm curious as to what mileage these scoots had when the chirping started. I'd also like to know if it has gotten progressively worse - or just stayed the same.

It may be nothing, and I am still under warranty. But I do intend to stop by at the dealership this week and have the service manager listen to it.
The recent incident where a gal's 650 clutch disintegrated was covered by Suzuki even though the machine was two weeks out of warranty. She had complained to her service manager though several times about her clutch acting wierd while the warranty was in effect, which might have had some bearing on the decision to cover the out of warranty failure. So I am not going to take any chances with this.

Any additional feedback from those of you who have noticed this noise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a brand new 650 and noticed the chirp sound when switching between manual and automatic from the very first day owning it. I just write it of to one of the many new noises I get use to on each bike I've owned.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Kias said:
Same here, a little chirp when switching. Noticed it from day one with 10 miles on the bike.
You are hearing the CVT motor move the ratio pulleys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 04 burgman that has a squeak come chirping sound only when the throttle is closed when moving and also as a stnstill. I think its the drive belt may have stretched and is flapping around a little. I have heard this on another piece of pulley driven machinery. The riding is unaffected so Ive learnt to live with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts