Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I am taking my bike in to have the coolant changed and the headset bearings checked at a BMW shop. The head master mechanic , also shop foreman and two other mechs are scooter enthusiast. I trust these guys. I stopped in today to have one of them test drive my bike because I think the fork dampeners need work. They told me my front shocks are very bad. Not out of the ordinary they said because stock suspensions are made to make it through the warranty and not much longer, no matter what make including BMW. My burg has 25k on the clock. They have an Ohlins tech on staff that will refurbish my forks to factory specs for $100.00 plus parts which I think is fair price. I can upgrade to custom springs and emulators for another $270.00.

My Question to you guys who have done this or know somebody who has, Is it worth the money to have the special springs and emulators put in? All comments appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
front end

Everything on the threads says it is worth it. I just bought the Race Tech emulators and springs and going to have my shop install. I own the 2014 650.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They have an Ohlins tech on staff that will refurbish my forks to factory specs for $100.00 plus parts which I think is fair price. I can upgrade to custom springs and emulators for another $270.00.

My Question to you guys who have done this or know somebody who has, Is it worth the money to have the special springs and emulators put in? All comments appreciated!
The precedure to get the forks back to stock condition ($100) typically consists of replacing old with new fork bushings, seals, and fresh fluid. nothing dramatic or special to be had here. It's part of maintenance.

With the emulators and special springs, this is regarded as a custom suspension tuning. It is worth it if you have had enough w/ the stock forks and you can't take it anymore. Otherwise, stock is fine for most owners.

Also, suspension tuning is not JUST THE FORKS only. It also requires custom tuning in the back as well. Doing the front and ignoring the back doesn't get you all the rate of return on your investment. The back has to be tuned just like the front so that the whole bike dampens as one cohesive system, not out of phase.

And tuning the rear, imo, is where most of the cost should be incurred, the shock and special spring set up for rider(s). Alot of what the back does has a big influence on how the front behaves, but not the other way around.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's very true about the front and rear working in harmony so having a great front suspension with a terrible rear one would be silly.

I wouldn't go to the expense unless you planned to keep the scoot for a VERY long time to amortize the investment.

Sam:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable price, especially considering the mechanics you mentioned. If you have the means, I'd say do it. You can deal with the shocks later...or not.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Administrator
18,701 Posts
When I went to Progressive brand rear shocks and springs it showed real quickly how bad the fronts were. I then took my fronts apart, drained the oil, flushed and refilled with ATF +4 autotrans fluid for Chrysler autos. I then put the stock Burgman springs in with a washer on top, then I cut two of my spair Goldwing progressive springs down and put them in place of the steel spacer. Much nicer and a bit more travel up front.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the input. From you comments I am sure I am going to have the forks custom tuned with the emulators and springs. As a matter of fact the bike shop just called me this morning to confirm my appointment to drop the bike off. Saturday they will flush the coolant system, check the head set bearings and remove the forks and send them over to their guy for rebuilding. I have talked to him , his name is Erick. He asked me what my weight was and the kind of riding I do and if I hauled much on the bike. The forks will be returned next Thursday and back on the bike Friday. From your comments I kind of figured I would have to do something with the rear shocks. If all goes well with the front suspension, I will probably take their recommendation on what would do well on the rear. I am rather excited about this. I hope I won't be disappointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts