Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I was wondering if some of problems of the earlier 400 teething problems been addressed in the 2004 model. From my reading, the rear drive and hub is prone to stripping the wheel splines. Is there some preventative maintenance issue here? Do I have to lubricate this spline every so often or has Suzuki fixed this design flaw. I am going to buy one of these but would like someone with some mileage on their 400 to comment.

Thanks...Timothy

PS Maybe I should buy the 650!

·
Registered
73 Posts
rear spline problem?

In following the three forums, I have only read one post that
stated they had a rear spline failure...and, I think that calling it
a design flaw is jumping the gun a bit....one person having the
problem does not a design flaw make.....it could have been a
just a freak defective part from the factory ?? I will be watching
for this topic to be more prevalent in the future and then get
concerned....right now, I'm not going to give it more credence
than it deserves, I'm just not going to worry about it.....yet.

Gib McKain

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe the rear splines and hub were a problem on the previous versions of the Burgman 400. The Rear Wheel and Hub are now joined differently.
Andrew

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear Splines

Hello Guys,

I heard about problems with the rear wheel splines from "Twist and Go" magazine (English lads). They did an article on used Burgman 400's and some people had replaced their rear wheels. In fact, one of the contributors used his bike as a courier and had the problem with a 1999 model twice. So he started re-manufacturing rear wheels ... he is in the business of selling these modified wheels and in the November issue of "Twist and Go" he has an ad for his product. I just wanted some confirmation that this is not going to be a problem with the K4's. Apparently the aluminum wheels are rather frail.

Sorry if I am alarming some people but we are just getting this model into Canada and I want to buy one. You guys in the US have had them for a year. BTW there is a 400 somewhere in the UK that has 60,000 miles on it so I hope this is a testimonial as to the reliability of the 400.

Timothy

·
Registered
73 Posts
rear wheel

I was unaware of the Twist and Go article....I have a 2003 400. I
wonder if they strenthened the rear wheel by the time mine came
out ?? Just in case, send the info on the guy that makes the
stronger replacement part. Thsnks.

Gib

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Info on the rear wheels..

Hello,

I don't have the article conveniently at hand but I will pass on the information as soon as I can. Since I am off for the next week please be patient as I will be on the road until next Thursday. From my information, it was a problem with the earlier models.

BTW I notice that you have done quite a few modifications on your 400. How does the Malossi perform? Have you had at least some miles with the original setup and what made you change the hardware so soon. Also what did it cost? Timothy

·
Registered
73 Posts
my mods

The Malossi changes the scooters whole personality.....not only does it
give you much better acceleration, it also quiets down the rear clutch
assembly....I really like it. I had 600 miles on mine when I changed
to it. Why did I get it ???......I'm an old hot-rodder so if I can boost the
power on something, I do it.......kinda like Tim on ToolTime ! The
Malossi cost about $210 not counting shipping. Also, I should be receiving
the high performance exhaust within the next 2 weeks. Does one need
any of these mods to enjoy the scooter, absolutely not, I'm just doing
my thing !!

Gib

·
Registered
7 Posts
"More power to ya!" Excuse the pun....I couldn't help myself. :lol:
I'll be doing some mods this winter. Sheer boredom and my first ever bike....a bad combination, eh? :shock:

I guess I'll get some pics and start a journal. Research is the first place, and if anyone has links to sites with mods for the Burgman (2003 an400 in blue is the one I have) I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Link to Burgman rear wheel

Hello,

I have found the link to the re-designed rear wheel for the 400 burgman (probably the earlier models 1999 or so). This may not have consequences for the newer models but it's good to know that their are resources out there. Here is the e-mail for the supplier in the UK for the re-designed wheel. Their website is not up at this moment but they did have this e-mail address: [email protected]

The cost listed in "twist and go" was 200 UK lbs (around $440 Canadian dollars). They also had tot boxes designed for couriers. The capacity of the box was 80 liters (very large!). Timothy

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
philtag6000 said:
What's a rear spline? What does it do?
What's it got to do with the rear wheel?
The rear spline located on the rear wheel is how the power is supplied to the rear wheel. On the 650 the last final drive gear has external splines while the rear wheel hub has internal splines. Once they slide together the gear assembly can turn the rear wheel with out slippage. The CV Joints in your vehicle work in the same manner. Here is a mirco fiche of the 650 wheel. Part no. 15 shows the internal spline that would mesh with the final drive spline. http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0346/rear_wheel/rear_wheel.cfm

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hotrodders: I have a nice Leo Vince exhaust for sale if any of you are interested. Its nicely made, but I found that I simply prefer the quieter exhaust. Email me if you need more info.

The dealer for the Malossi kit here in N.C. sells them for $250 plus shipping. Mistergib: how hard was it to install?

·
Registered
119 Posts
That UK site that sells rear wheels is http://www.burgmanparts.co.uk/
Burgs are used a lot by the couriers around London, it was one of the reasons I chose one, they use them as a tool for their job and as such it's a good endorsement. Most of them are thrashed mercilessly around up and down pavements and bouncing off taxis, I'm not surprised they've been breaking wheels as most have horrendously large crates bungied to the back full of parcels. They all seem to have duct-tape covering scars on the bodywork, cut down or missing screens, missing variator covers, 150,000 miles on the clock, vertical bits of drain pipe secured to the side with long media parcels inside, and hippo-hands fitted even in summer, it's like a courier uniform.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Echo Mupps contribution above.

The early Burgs had real design problems both with the spline and the spline insert in the wheel.

Suzy has redesigned.

The Stateside Burgers are youngsters which will not have this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts