Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have missed it when I tried a search: Is there an agreed upon good fix for the speedometer/fuel gauge inaccuracy on 650s? On other bikes, I have seen electronic solutions (usually insertion of a resistor, sometimes variable, sometimes fixed, into the circuit) or mechanical ones such as bending, filing, etc., various associated components.
Bicycle speedometers, GPSs, use of the odometer and mental extrapolation get at it, but some of us are just compulsive enough to want gauges to mean what they say.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You'd think Suzuki would offer an alternate/fix/aftermarket partnership to replace this. If it was 1 mph off, that's one thing. But here in Canada, with Kilometers as the unit of speed measurement, 10 km/h off the mark is a lot.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Offer a fix on something they are purposely doing in the first place?
I'd also like them to set the gauges to reflect the correct readings.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Darcy said:
...If it was 1 mph off, that's one thing. But here in Canada, with Kilometers as the unit of speed measurement, 10 km/h off the mark is a lot.
And here in the States it's almost exactly the same.

10 km/h off (at 100 km/h) equals 6.21 MPH off (at 62 MPH). That's the same error we have: 10%.

While the speed on the 650 (and all other Japanese bikes that I know of) is off by 10%, the odometer is very nearly accurate. Mine is only off by 2.5% compared with GPS, and other members have compared theirs with GPS and reported no error.

So mileage computations based on the odometer will be accurate or nearly so, and variables in riding habits and fuel quality from one tank to the next will make any small error insignificant.

There is a "black box" available for the 650 to correct the 10% error in the speedometer, but then your odometer would be off by the amount of the speed correction. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

I can't recall the exact thread where this box was discussed (it was last year, I think), but a search for "650 AND speedmeter AND fix" might turn it up.

HTH.

BTW, I did a long trip last weekend and took my GPS along. I don't have all the records with me (I'm at work) but I do remember two important ones:

I did one leg of 200 miles according to the odometer. The GPS said it was 194.8 miles. Pretty close.

Also, as I'll report in the "Top Speed of Burgman 650" thread in a moment, I set a new personal record. The speedo was flickering between 118 & 119, and at my next stop the GPS said "Max Speed: 107MPH." My previous record was 113 indicated and 101 GPS.

[Note: This is not a suggestion that anyone ride at excessive speeds nor an incouragement to violate any local laws or ordinances.]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speedomter

I have read all the posts on the Burgman 650 speedometer problems.
Mine varies from 5 to 10mph faster than I'm actually going.
I know you can get gps's or do the math in your head to figure out your actual speed, but the bottom line is that the speedometer should read out your actual speed. There is no reason that it shouldn't. I had an old Honda Helix with a digital speedometer and it was right on the money all the time. Suzuki should fix this problem instead of sitting around with their head in the sand. The bike is great but if they don't fix this problem I doubt I'll ever buy Suzuki again, riding a bike safely is hard enough without the aggravation of never knowing how fast you are actually going. SUZUKI FIX YOUR PROBLEM!! or my problem!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Honda Goldwing is off by 10%. A guy at Scootercade has a new 1800 Gold Wing and he confirmed that. My 1995 Kawasaki Concours was off by about 10%. Harleys are also off. One of the "black boxes" sold to correct the speedometer errors has specific calibration instructions for the Harleys. It is not just a Suzuki issue - it is an industry wide issue. And it has been that way for many years. It is done on purpose - for whatever reason. So your next bike will be... I'm not sure what.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I had the ST1100 I checked it against my GPS and it was off about 7%. That use to annoy me but doesn't seem so bad now..

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Buzz said:
Check this out. I was told by a friend who has it that it is very accurate.
Yeah, that's one brand that I've heard about.

The only problem is, with the Burgman 650 the speedometer is off by 10% but the odometer is almost right on. If you adjust the speedometer to zero error, the odometer will be under-reporting.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Has anyone put a speedo correction box on a B650?

I am curious if it will effect the transmission and engine operation since the bike has several speed sensors controlling the transmission and engine.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
roy_ryall said:
Has anyone put a speedo correction box on a B650?

I am curious if it will effect the transmission and engine operation since the bike has several speed sensors controlling the transmission and engine.
That's an excellent question!

In looking at the wiring diagram I see multiple lines running between the speedometer and the ECM & CVT controller.

One of the lines out of the speed sensor leads directly to all three of the above; speedometer, ECM, and CVT controller.

This machine has so many interconnected systems that changing almost anything could change almost anything else.

This may be a good fall/winter project for me to look into.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A previous BMW R1200, RT1100 and K1200RS were all off about 10mph.
My previous Ducati was actually about 5mph SLOWER - so 70 was actually 75 now that's much more dangerous (ticket wise).

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
This problem does go back a long way, my 1983 GS450 read 10% low.

While having it read low could keep you from getting a ticket for going to fast, what about roads with posted minimum speeds? Minimum speed 50, 10% error, actual speed 45.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This "deliberate" speedometer display which is 10% lower than actual speed annoys me, too. I go out of my way to purchase products manufactured with and operating with a great deal of precision.

However, when traveling in areas where knowing your precise speed is essential (can you say "Speed Traps?"), I have just accustomed myself to subtracting whatever the first digit of the readout is.

It's no biggie to me.

On the other hand, there are already so many things to keep track of when riding a two-wheeled vehicle, this is one more distraction we should not have to deal with.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My speedometer is a straight 10% off across the range. I generally have my gps unit mounted and the speedometer on the gps is large enough to watch instead of the one on the Burgman

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Speedomter

rosc1418 said:
...Mine varies from 5 to 10mph slower than I'm actually going.
Are you sure about that?

Every other Burgman I've heard of (in fact, every other Japanese bike except for a few Goldwings) reads faster than you're actually going.

The AN650s' speedometers, for example, are consistently 10% fast.
If you're actually going 25 the speedometer will say 27, if you're actually going 50 the speedometer will say 55, and if you're actually going 80 the speedometer will say you're going 88; and so on.

BurgBass said:
This "deliberate" speedometer display which is 10% lower than actual speed annoys me, too.

...However, when traveling in areas where knowing your precise speed is essential (can you say "Speed Traps?"), I have just accustomed myself to subtracting whatever the first digit of the readout is. ...
See above.

If you're worried about "speed traps" just ride with your speedometer reading the same as the posted speed limit; then you'll always be going 10% slower than than the limit and you'll never get a ticket. (You might get passed a lot, though.)

Remember, the posted speed is a limit, not a requirement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GPS Vs Speedometer error

I own a Garmin Street Pilot III which I use in a Volvo S60, a Cadillac CTS and my BMW R1200CLC. When driving at a steady 100 Km/H (62 MPH) in the Volvo or on my bike on cruise control, the GPS readout is 92 Km/H but the Cadillac reads exactly the same as the GPS.

I am reading up on Burgmans as I am tempted.
Regards, Moe

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: GPS Vs Speedometer error

Moe J said:
...I am reading up on Burgmans as I am tempted.
Welcome to the ICOBO, Moe. :hello2:

Go ahead; give in to temptation. I'm sure you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Moe,

Welcome to ICOBO & the BUSA forum!

Bear in mind that temptation is not always a bad thing, & that sometimes that itch has just got to be scratched. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts