Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mjustice5898 said:
I too would love to see ACTUAL speed indicated on the speedo. I thought I was sailing along at 55 (the posted speed on a local secondary road) during my initial break-in period, only to discover the true reason folks behind were passing was not just that they were speed demons. They wanted to at least go the actual speed limit. When my friend (trailing in a car) told be the fastest I had been going was 49-50 mph, I thought something was wrong with my bike. After reading on the subject on the forum, I realized it is a design/performance issue with all the burgmans. I certainly still love the bike! But, it would be nice to know your true speed easily instead of having to go 5-6 mph above (indicated) to get the true speed you want. IMHO
I thought maybe this would be better posted in this forum

Why is it that everyone thinks you have to go the speed limit. A " 65 mph speed limit" means your not supposed to go over 65, it doesn't mean you have to drive "at least 65. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going 60 or even 50 or 55 in a 65 mph zone. I can't ever remember a time even when I was going at least 5 mph over the speed limit that there was not someone who wanted to pass me and go even more over the speed limit. If on the Burgman's you are going a few mph slower than it reads, so what. If the speed limit is 60 and your speedometer reads 60 then you are for sure that you are "under" the speed limit where you should be anyway instead of over it. My wife and I have cked the speedo on my 400 and it is witin 1 or 2 mph of our Bajaj scooter, our 1995 chev PU and our 1995 Buick Skylark. Since they are that close to one another I think it is great. So if they wanted to do as you said.

They wanted to at least go the actual speed limit.

Let them go the actual speed limit or over (when it is safe to do so and you do your own thing and drive at a more reasonable and safer speed.
If I'm going 55mph in a 65mph I am driving legally and will not be intimidated by someone who wants to drive at or above the speed limit.
That my .25 cents worth._________________

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Although the speed limit does not mean you HAVE to travel that fast, there are usually laws that can get you for going too slow and creating a traffic hazard. In Kansas there are also some roads with a maximum and minimum speed posted. Usually the minimum is 45mph on a 60mph highway, mainly to discourage farmers from moving slow equipment from field to field on the highway instead of on the back country roads, but also to keep slow scooters, mopeds and bikes off the road.

Dave B.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We also have a min speed, which is 40 mph and the point is to go more than the min and less than the max. :lol: So going 50 or 55 in a 65 is not going to slow. And of course, above all be safe and live to drive another day :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
My speedo reads high, 70 indicated is actually 60, maybe 61 mph. The real disgusting part is the odometer tells big lies too. In two miles traveled it reads 200 yards short, going by the highway markers.

That means I don't really know what my mileage is unless I determine a correction factor for the error.

I'll talk it over with the dealer at the 600 mi service.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
keithturtle said:
My speedo reads high, 70 indicated is actually 60, maybe 61 mph. The real disgusting part is the odometer tells big lies too. In two miles traveled it reads 200 yards short, going by the highway markers.

That means I don't really know what my mileage is unless I determine a correction factor for the error.

I'll talk it over with the dealer at the 600 mi service.
Keith:

There have been several posts lately expressing concern about getting the 600 mile service just as the odometer rolls from 599 to 600. :lol:

It's just not that critical. That number is a guideline to remind you to get the bike serviced early in it's break-in period. I doubt that anyone would damage their engine anywhere in the range of 500-800 miles for that initial service.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So does this thread mean people look at their speedometers?
Oh that's what that round gauge is down there. Duely noted.
:spam2:

[EDIT] Hey Ken OBSC, what is the age requirements to be in the Old ******* Scooters Club? That has to be the all time coolest name :D
I'm 36, do I qualify? If not, does having a weight issue, losing hair and a bad back help any? :)
-Moo

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Regardless how fast (or slow) you go, it's important to go with the traffic flow. Going 10 mph different from traffic, is just down right dangerous. It makes other drivers frustrated, and the possibility for causing an accident is greater.

Case in point #1
2 lane county road, weekend traffic, speed limit 55, traffic flowing smoothly @ 60. Now traffic comes up on someone doing 50 "leading the parade" so to speak, for the next 5 miles. You can't pass due to traffic.
Frustrated? I think so.
Greater possibility for an accident? Yup.

Case in point #2
2 lane county road, weekend traffic, speed limit 55, traffic flowing smoothly @ 50-55. now someone comes up from behind in a hurry. Again heavy traffic and he can't pass.
Is he frustrated? Yup.

I go with the traffic flow, if it's with-in reason. If traffic on a 65 mph expressway is going 70, I do 70.
If it's doing 60 I do 60.

Factoring in Speedo error,
I will run @ 75-79, indicated on the expressway.
Actual speed is usually 67-72 on a 65 mph road.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I travel with flow as well. One of my least favorite things is having a car less than a car length behind me at 50+ MPH. Folks often do not allow enough following distance, especially those who do not recognize safety laws such as speed limits. They are generally the most dangerous thing on the road, passing illegally, tailgating, etc. I would rather be following (at a safe distance) someone like that than have them behind me trying to run me over. I always have a fear of a blowout or some mechanical problem (like the bike stops running) and being run over by some idiot talking on their cell phone as they speed down the road. "I'm sorry" and "I didn't have time to react" makes for a terrible epitaph.
But, I do agree that it's unfortunate that "Maximum Speed Limit" means Minimum Speed Limit to 90+% of the populace. The really sad part is the general attitude that folks have that they are better than others and that speed limits are beneath them. Many of these folks are the ones that do not pull over for an ambulance or fire truck but would be the first ones to complain should their loved one not make it to the hospital in an ambulance in a timely manner or that a fire truck didn't make it to their burning home quick enough. I could go on and on about this as I get hotter and hotter just thinking about it. It's just sad. `Nuff said since it's not going to change.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
moocowfragger said:
[EDIT] Hey Ken OBSC, what is the age requirements to be in the Old ******* Scooters Club? That has to be the all time coolest name :D
I'm 36, do I qualify? If not, does having a weight issue, losing hair and a bad back help any? :)
-Moo
Well, we have absolutely no standards at all, so "even" you could join.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :wink: :wink:

We're located at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/OBSC/

I'd suggest checking out the site so you can access the archives, though you can opt to have messages sent to you via e-mail.

If you join you would be the first Burgie owner-member. How's that for status. 8)

BTW, from time to time there are embroidered patches available....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Selias said:
But, I do agree that it's unfortunate that "Maximum Speed Limit" means Minimum Speed Limit to 90+% of the populace. The really sad part is the general attitude that folks have that they are better than others and that speed limits are beneath them.
For most of us there are two kinds of idiot drivers on the road:

Those who recklessly drive faster than us

&

Those incompetents who block traffic by going slower than us.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Ken OBSC said:
For most of us there are two kinds of idiot drivers on the road:

Those who recklessly drive faster than us

&

Those incompetents who block traffic by going slower than us.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think thats it in a nut shell.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jim, you're going for that 1,000 post mark aren't you?
:spam1: :spam2:

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
If traffic is going 50 in a 55 because some "idiot" is up front doing 50, isn't that the vehicle that is setting traffic flow? What happened to keeping your distance, relaxing, going with the flow? "Flow" is used more and more to mean keeping up with the person who is speeding the most.

I've heard guys at work say that someone on the way in was only doing 55 in a 55 and caused them to be late. They went on to say that they were going to cause an accident because they were forcing people to try to pass them in nopassing zones, on curves, hillcrests, etc., and people were tailgating each other because of the "slow" speed. That person who chooses (their legal right in most states) to drive within the speed law cannot control your accelerator, your brakes, or your poor choices.

Off my soapbox now!

With that said, I like to flow with the fastest vehicle, and do get frustrated if I'm running late, or just don't like the speed someone in front of me chose. But that is my problem and I try to use my head when moving through traffic.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You know what? I don't give a flip how fast you are going, just don't stay in the fast lane regardless of speed if someone is behind you wanting to pass! If you want to do 50 or 55 then stay in the d.. right lane.

Iron Ranger I love your Avatar.

Evelyn

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
:withstupid: Hear Hear!

Wut She said.

People who want to go slower than the flow of traffic, stay the hell out of the left lane! If you have pass someone even slower than yourself, then do it & get back in the right lane where slower moving traffic belongs & be quick about it.

I don't say this because I like to speed, believe or not, although I do sometimes (adnitted), I generally don't. Not even in the truck.

However, those that do are already on the knife's edge, for whatever reason, & by being boxed in, in a hurry, & aggravated (apparently by their own nature) they feel they are being "forced" to do something risky at best &/or just plain "stupid" at the worst by people who like to form rolling roadblocks, so they can play at being "speed-police".

Let them go! In front of you, where you can keep an eye on them, is the best place for this type. Believe me, they will keep right on pushing thier luck until they either get where they're going, get caught, get dead, or any combination of the above. You are not only protecting yourself, but every other law abiding citizen on the road by allowing these morons to keep some measure of compusure rather than getting them in a right state & "forcing" them into a stupid move, getting themselves & almost always some other poor slob maimed, dead or worse.

Remember this type never accepts responsibility for thier own actions. Thier precipitous stupidity is always someone else's fault!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Burman 400 GPS tested! :)

Last weekend, my husband got the bright idea to check the indicated to actual speedo accuracy on my Burgman. :roll: He also wanted to find out just how fast he could get it up to. He took a GPS system, held it between his knees while riding my Burgman 400 down the highway. The results were:

30-40 mph the speedo read 3 mph high
50+ mph the speedo read 5 mph high

Max speed (with major crosswind): 85 mph (speedo showing 90). He says that the crosswind fowls up the aerodynamics and that it would probably go 90 mph actual or a little more on a calm day.

Sometimes my husband being a geek isn't all bad! LOL :)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It's a computer, for heavens sake. I don't understand why they can't calibrate it to be as accurate as a car speedo. They are all pretty on, judging from mile post marker tests, and those speed trailers the local PD's put out in areas which have a lot of speeders.
I CAN handle the truth, Suzuki!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here's my take on the 'speed limit' thingy:

1. When lawmakers come up with speed limits, they must assume that people are generally going to go a little faster, so they probably set the speed lower than planned.

2. While the maximum is officially the maximum, it's the difference in speed that wreaks havoc more than the speed itself, when within reason, of course.

3. This may seem harsh, but if you can't handle the normal flow of traffic when within reason (10 mph + or -), then maybe you shouldn't ride on roads with that speed? Stick to the side roads or learn how to ride better.

4. I never believe in tailgating. ESPECIALLY when it comes to scooters vs. cars/trucks. We're an exposed breed. If someone is holding up traffic, honk your horn. If you must be in the left lane, do so to pass. The left lane is a temporary place. If you intend to hog it, keep your eyes on your rearview, and at LEAST understand that people passing you on the right are doing it because YOU are hogging the left lane.

5. I find people tailgate scooters. Whether it's a 'how fast can these things go' curiosity, or it's that egos can't handle being 'upstaged' by a scooter, who knows - but people tend to ride my tail a lot. I tend to ride about 10 km/h over the speed limit anywhere, and will speed up more if it's with the flow of traffic. But there is NO excuse for any tailgating me while I'm doing 10k over the limit, and I will make it known I don't like it. I try to pull aside to let people around, but if they're really, really close, I'm pretty quick to fight, maybe it'll wear off someday - but until then, a little courtesy, please. One or two car lengths isn't too much to ask on a national highway, is it?

6. I intend to do more touring than sport riding anyway, so until this

http://world.honda.com/factbook/motor/motorshow/200310/03.html

becomes available, I'll stick to the speed limit.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jim said:
Case in point #2
2 lane county road, weekend traffic, speed limit 55, traffic flowing smoothly @ 50-55. now someone comes up from behind in a hurry. Again heavy traffic and he can't pass.
Is he frustrated? Yup.

So your saying that even if your right at the speed limit and some idiot comes up behind you then you should chance getting a ticket and putting everyone in or on your vehicle, not to mention everyone else on the road in danger by going as fast as the idiot that came up behind you, I don't think so. Your case in point #2 which will also cover case#1 does not hold water. Someone shouldnot come up behind you in a hurry. The only time he can legally pass if he or she can do so and stay within the speed limit. if they pass you then they are speeding. If they are in that big a hurry then they have no business on the road. Excess speed is the #1 cause of traffic accidents. Tail gateing is the #2 reason. So should I speed just because they what to? I don't think so. If you would be honest I think you know that it wouldn't matter if you were doing ten mph over the speed limit someone would be behind you wanting to pass. :wink: Passing lanes were not made so that folks can drive whatever speed over the speed limit they what to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts