Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Burgman 400K8. It was just in for its 14,500 mile service, a new belt primarily. During the belt change it was discovered the final drive was lacking a lot of fluid, the bearings had been running dry and were shot. The gears were still getting some lube and were declared good. After roughly $1,500 and 45 days I get the bike back. It's riding well but after 250 miles the speedometer suddenly quits working and the fuel injection light goes on solid. Back it goes to the Suzuki shop. A week goes by with no word so I drop by to discover it's fallen through the cracks in that it was looked at but no one called me. The speed sensor is bad, I'm told and I ok the repair. They offer to pull one off a new bike but I'm not in a big hurry. But no part is forthcoming from on high. Out of stock and after a week I ask if the new bike part is still available. Yes, and it gets installed. Problem fixed? Well, no. It appears to work but I know it's not telling the truth about how fast I'm really going. It's reading slow. When I'm doing between 60 and 65 it's saying 50. Very strange. I was going to take it on a trip the next day but decided that was too risky so the bike sat and I used my car. The next day I decided to ride and after the normal pre-flight checks I start out. No speedometer reading at all when accelerating but it comes off the peg a tiny bit when I let off the gas. I keep testing that, accelerating then backing off (normal traffic.) As I watch the speedometer reading slowly increases, coming closer and closer to the speed at which I think I'm actually traveling. Then it hits me. I'm apparently looking at a capacitance issue. The bad news would be that I'm right as the capacitor would be part of the instrument cluster and if memory serves me right that's about $550 for the part plus labor. Ouch! Anyone else have ever see something similar and, if so, what was the diagnosis?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,
my small 2 cents worth. The speedo wiring gets to the hib trhough the CVT Cover. Once when I went into to clean out dust etc, I possibly "pinched" the harness with one of the bolts going back into the CVT. Speedo was dead.
Went back in and repaird the one wire I pinched, and the Speedo worked fine.
So, "possibly" an issue around the sensor, or the wiring. Dunno man, but the dealer you're using sounds like a clown. Do you not have an optional Dealer?
Alan

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
+1
Seeing as the sensor is positioned where you had work done and it was working fine before I would start by making sure the sensor is properly positioned and connected and has continuity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
my small 2 cents worth. The speedo wiring gets to the hib trhough the CVT Cover. Once when I went into to clean out dust etc, I possibly "pinched" the harness with one of the bolts going back into the CVT. Speedo was dead.
Went back in and repaird the one wire I pinched, and the Speedo worked fine.
So, "possibly" an issue around the sensor, or the wiring. Dunno man, but the dealer you're using sounds like a clown. Do you not have an optional Dealer?
Alan
A pinched wire is a possibility I'll mention. I'm thinking more like diode or something allowing the charged capacitor to leak off to ground. The dealer I'm working through is all there is in the area. There was one other, the one I bought the bike from, but they went OOB last year and were even less functional. I was having the bike 'serviced' there and obviously they really weren't paying much attention to the details (like oil levels in the final drive.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1
Seeing as the sensor is positioned where you had work done and it was working fine before I would start by making sure the sensor is properly positioned and connected and has continuity.
The original sensor did work fine after the work on the final drive was completed...but only for about 250 miles. When it did fail it was rather sudden. It's a puzzle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Been there and done that lol.... Put the CVT cover on and then no speedo. Ooops wire smashed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Been there and done that lol.... Put the CVT cover on and then no speedo. Ooops wire smashed!
Yeah, the more I think about what APaterson and yourself said the more I'm thinking sensor cable. Depending on where it got nicked it could deal all sorts of strangeness. Worse the act of changing the speed sensor might free the area enough that it works...sort of. I'll definitely suggest it tomorrow at the dealer. It is, after all, the next logical step in the replacement chain. I bought the bike to save money on gas but its starting to eat a hole in my wallet. If I didn't like riding so much...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: no it was not the speed sensor wire. They replaced it today and still no joy. So the bike shop is off the hook afa pinching the cable. They still have no idea what the problem is however. I'm to the point where if the man holds out his hand with a bill for for another $500 I'll turn over the title and tell him to part the lemon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: They think they've found the problem. They claim the part (gear?) that has the piece that passes by the magnet in the speed sensor is slightly mispositioned. I don't know how this could be or think it explains what I'm seeing, i.e. the "charging up" effect that has the speedometer slowly becoming more normal in the speed indicated but as long as I'm not paying for the labor I'll go with it. Of course I also authorized replacing the ECM in case their theory doesn't fix it. As is said..."in for a penny, in for a pound."

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The reasons outlined above is why I don't take my Burgman to the dealer for service, they just don't know the machines that well and are careless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got the bike back. The problem was a missing circlip. It held a gear in position next to the speed sensor. Without it the gear was free to drift away causing the problem. The dealer rep said he didn't know why the circlip was missing and conjectured it may have never been there. It did perform for almost 15000 miles with no problem so I think what happened was their tech simply lost it. The motorcycle service industry is full of people who, for one reason or another, really have no clue what they're doing. That's particularly true when it comes to the types they see less often, the Burgman fitting the category. I assume that's what happened in this case as they gave me a free battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reasons outlined above is why I don't take my Burgman to the dealer for service, they just don't know the machines that well and are careless.
I may very well be following your example as I'm moving to a place where I'll have room to work on the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts