Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 650 exec 2008 model with 6000 km on it.. l took it for my first ride and noticed or thought l was flying . l went back home and put my Garmin GPS on the windscreen and then rode to compare the GPS reading to the Speedo reading and found the speedo was reading 7 to 8 km/hr higher than the GPS... l am wondering if l can calibrate the speedo or do l just have to live with the fact..??

Thanks for any responses...

Pierre....

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
The speedo on the Burgmans is like those on most motorcycles. It reads high. Most folks find it is about 10% high. In a way that is good and bad. Bad that it is not accurate but good because it's fairly easy to do the mental calculation to what your real speed is. Just move the decimal point over one and subtract. For example if it say you are doing 60 you are really doing 60 - 6 or 56. If it says you are doing 100 you are really doing 100 - 10 or 90. And so on.

There is not way to recalibrate that I know of. That is unless you know how to change the computer hard code. There are companies that sell devices for motorcycles that intercept the input signal from the speed sensor and alter it by a % you specify. That lets you correct the speed reading. There is a problem though. While the speedometers read off the odometers are usually fairly accurate. That means when you alter the sensor input you make the speedometer right but the odometer in now off.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Buffalo count yer hooves agin 60 -6 = stompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompsttomp 54

couldn't resist :lol:

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for you interest and comments.. I am a newbie ont eh forum and did attempt a search on thsi topic as l am sure it has been discueesed... I will learn how to use the search function yet.. we are not all geeks lol...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Don't worry, we all lose track of old threads, I would say start a new thread about anything but tires and oil. Some of the riders can smell the topic in their sleep. But if it is big concern of yours, better to ask and be redirected than to not ask and be stuck on the side of the road or worse yet, creating engine problems.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
Buffalo count yer hooves agin 60 -6 = stompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompatompsttomp 54

couldn't resist :lol:
That's what happens when you get old. Not only can you forget why you went into a room you can for get 1st grade arithmetic :oops: .

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Has anyone ever tried putting a shunt around the speedometer?

Assuming the speedometer is a standard d'Arsonval movement, if one were to measure the resistance of the meter movement and place a resistance equal to 10 times the meter resistance across the terminals, the meter would read 10% less. I'm assuming there is a reason something this simple hasn't been tried.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Chatman128 said:
Has anyone ever tried putting a shunt around the speedometer?

Assuming the speedometer is a standard d'Arsonval movement, if one were to measure the resistance of the meter movement and place a resistance equal to 10 times the meter resistance across the terminals, the meter would read 10% less. I'm assuming there is a reason something this simple hasn't been tried.
It's not a d'Arsonval mechanism. Most modern (since the late 90s) use stepper motors driven by the instrument cluster micro-controller. I have not seen a d'Arsonval movement in a vehicle in 50+ years--too fragile for motor vehicle use--they were nearly too fragile for portable VOMs.

I haven't a photo of a Burgman cluster, however this is of a 1999 Ford Mustang cluster:

You can see six identical servo motors for the fuel, coolant temp, speedometer, tach, voltmeter, and oil pressure.

The only way to correct it is by mucking about with the speed sensor pulses per mile--or to hack the cluster microcontroller firmware...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
cliffyk said:
I have not seen a d'Arsonval movement in a vehicle in 50+ years--
And there you have it. I am officially beyond out of date tending towards fossilized. :oops:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I never use the search function when learning about a new whim that cathes my interest, instead I skim through the "new topics" working my way back in time.
If you had done this, at any time in the last 5 years, the topic of "speedometer shows 10% high" would never be futher back than 3 pages.

That way, before I even laid eyes on a Burgman, I knew that the front suspension is harsh, the speedo is 10% off, the 03-04 primary CVT adaptors break, and that charging regulators are known to fail. I forgot exessive engine breaking.

This procedure works for everything people discuss in internet forums, except those where you can’t read subject thread posts from first to last by scrolling down.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Erik,

Well said. Before I bought my K3 400 I read just about every post on this forum, and enough on a Majesty forum to know I didn't want one.

But it's a lot easier to ask than to do your own research...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts