Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the speedometer electronic or mechanical....or electro-mechanical??

the reason for my question is on my 2008 - the speedo needle is solid as a rock until I hit 60-70 MPH and then it starts bouncing around anywhere from 70-90 MPH

thanks....in advance...... :?:

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
electro mechanical
when you unplug wires to the speedo sender at the wheel, it becomes obvious it is at least partly electro, and when you unplug the battery and the needle indicator doesn't disappear it is also obvious it is an electrically driven meter movement , electro mechanical, this problem has occurred before on this forum, I remember my advice, drive slower, I don't remember the fix, but maybe the original initiator can give us his/her solution and we can all have a liquid libation and act like road warriors and scratch our belt bound investments in posterity through that hole in our shirt just below the button we couldn't get fastened this morning :oops:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Looking at my 08, no speedo cable at front wheel (typical location for motorcycles), therefore must be electrical.

Your Burger is fuel injected, the speed sensor provides data to the FI system. Speed sensor is at back of CVT case
Also info for the speedo.
Based on my Saturn, same idea, there is a "Step motor" that moves the speedo needle. Info comes from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the differential case, to the ECU, to the step motor.
I wonder if you have loose connection (in the bike dashboard), a bad ground, a loose connection at the speed sensor, speed sensor faulty, maybe bad speedo. Just a hunch, I would guess the speedo is the least probable culprit.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The way my dashboard rattles and creaks over bumps, I think more and more that is the cause of potential electrical gremlins. 8)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
v8eyedoc said:
Is the speedometer electronic or mechanical....or electro-mechanical??

the reason for my question is on my 2008 - the speedo needle is solid as a rock until I hit 60-70 MPH and then it starts bouncing around anywhere from 70-90 MPH

thanks....in advance...... :?:
I am answering my own question......!!!!!! I found the problem. The electric plug that goes into the top rear of the transmission was not plugged in tight.!! I pushed it back on and all is fine now.......! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ahhhhhhh life is good :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mike1nw said:
Ahhhhhhh life is good :)
YES IT IS.........!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........!!!! And I thought I was lookin' at some big bucks to repair it too! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts