Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a real newbie, owned a 650 for about 24 hours now. So if this has been discussed to death in the past, please forgive me, but I need a little help.

My speedometer reads real fast. At least 10%, maybe more. When it reads 71, I am acutally doing 65mph. A reading of 78 means I'm doing 70ish. Is this normal for the Burgman? And is there any adjustment my dealer can make?

BTW, when it says 35 mph I'm actually running 35....go figure.

I'm not trying to be nitty, but I would really like to know what speed I am running and not have to guess at it.

Thanks in advance,
Vanzo

·
Registered
409 Posts
I always suspected that my speedo was way off, so I mounted my gps unit to the Burgman. It reads a consistent 10% fast throughout the range.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always suspected that my speedo was way off, so I mounted my gps unit to the Burgman.
The last time my speedo came way off, I WAS ARRESTED!! :D

Sorry, I just couldn'd help myself!!

Vanzo

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yep, it has been discussed to death. :lol: And you'd have the same issue if you bought a Suzuki motorcycle (or many other brands of motorcycles). I don't know why they do that. I wish they wouldn't do that. But they do insist on doing that. So I mentally adjust for the 10% error, and enjoy the rest of my ride.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I don't even think about it anymore, Most times I just run 5 mph over the posted speed and forget it.
At least it's hard to get a speeding ticket that way. :lol:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I complained about the error when I first got my 650. Did no good. I put a bike computer on mine so at least I'd know my real speed when in town where the local police are always on the lookout for speeders. My little computer cost <$10 at Walmart, and works accurately up to about 60mph. It has several other features too. Don't get it if you do alot of highway riding though. It's little processor can't count the wheel revolutions fast enough to keep track at those speeds. Look in my gallery for pics.

On the highway, since you know the speedo is off by 10%, just do the simple math to keep track of real speed:

Drive 77 to be going 70. Drive 66 to be going 60. Drive 65+6.5 or 71.5 to be going 65. Drive 75+7.5 or 82.5 to be going 75.

No matter what speed you ride, ride safely.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just top confirm what has already been written:

I checked my speedo against the reading on my GPS and found that the speedo reads 10% high throughout the range. Very irritating.

I find nowadays that I take my speed reading from the GPS and ignore the digital speedo.

:?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Vanzo said:
I always suspected that my speedo was way off, so I mounted my gps unit to the Burgman.
The last time my speedo came way off, I WAS ARRESTED!! :D

Sorry, I just couldn'd help myself!!

Vanzo
Is your name Bill, and are you walking big! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I saw you on TV....

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Van, It seems to be that most of the bikes are off 10% these days.

Wasn't your Gold Wing off by 10% too? I know all the Gold Wings and the Yamaha 650 is off the 10% too.

With 4 GPS in our group we all know how fast we going and never get lost (boy that one is a big joke).

Have a good week.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wasn't your Gold Wing off by 10% too? I know all the Gold Wings and the Yamaha 650 is off the 10% too.

When I was riding with a GW chapter we had a member who was a State Trooper. I had him to check my speed using his radar gun. We checked it 3-4 times at different speeds and my speedometer on the bike was consistently 1-2 miles per hour LESS than he showed on the gun. That's close enough for me. So I don't know about ALL Goldwings, but mine was pretty much right on! But the Burgman readings are crazy! And, from reading some other posts on here, I get the impression that they (Suzuki) set the speedometers up this way on purpose. What's up with that?

If Walmart can make an accurate speedometer for bicycles, for around $10, I just don't understant why motorcycle manufacturers can't do the same. Yes, I agree you can always subtract about 10% from your reading to get a "somewhat" idea of your speed. I just don't understand WHY we should have to do this.

OK, off my soapbox now. I realize there is nothing I can do about it. Just not happy with it.

Van

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
FWIW, there are "black boxes" (some of them are yellow) that can be wired into the circuit, permitting you to adjust the output and thereby make your speedometer/odometer accurate. I've seen references to them on the VROC website (Kawasaki Vulcan riders), but never looked into it myself, because I enjoy the mental exercise - it's about the only exercise I get :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
McQ----

Whoa, hold on. What's this about adjustable add-ons.

We want venders, part nos., prices, a sportbike expert who will guide us.

On my 4X4 truck, I do the math instead of paying GM the $ to adjust it to my larger tires. My Burgman on the otherhand..... I was just waiting to find another way I could spend money on it. :?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I don't think it makes that much difference, yes I would like the speedometer to to "on" but I don't hold a steady speed anyway going up and down hills, so the speed would always be off even if the speedometer was accurate.
I doubt many of us take our eyes off the road and concentrate to make sure we stay right on the speed limit, so an error in my favor is something I can live with.
If I need to speed then I left to late :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Speedometer error

I think the speedometers on cycles and scooters are set high in an attempt to slow us down a little. Slower speed means less accidents, etc. and looks better for the manufactures.

Grayson

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Its not too difficult to do the mental adjust is it? I mean it is a 10 % which is easy to recalculate - now if it was 17.5% or 23 % then OK thats more difficult but 10% sheesh! :wink: Rather that than spend big bucks on a conversion gizmo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its not too difficult to do the mental adjust is it? I mean it is a 10 % which is easy to recalculate - now if it was 17.5% or 23 % then OK thats more difficult but 10% sheesh
I agree it's easy. But I expect my watch, speedometer, blood pressure monitor, air gauges, thermomoter, microwave oven, sprinkling system, etc. to be accurate and not make me do simple math to make them work as I paid them to do!!!

Vanzo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen references to them on the VROC website (Kawasaki Vulcan riders), but never looked into it myself, because I enjoy the mental exercise - it's about the only exercise I get
Sounds like my kind of biker....lets go get some ice cream!

Vanzo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts