Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, instead of doing a mechanical fix, couldn't we find out exactly what percentage the original gauge is off and scale it and just make a new background for it? I just saw the post in the 07+ section but I'd like to pass it on to the pre 07. I can do the printing and cutting for it if there's someone that can do the layout and artwork for it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Eh, it was never a big deal to me. It's 10% off, not hard to do the math on the fly. Or just get a GPS or speedo healer. I doubt the market would be very big for such an item. Sorry, just being pragmatic.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, wasn't looking at selling them. Sorta something to do for the people on here. I know I'd rather have the gauge changed then have a speedo healer. Because the speedo healer messes with the odometer right?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's not uncommon to make new gauge backgrounds for cars, if the owner wants different colors and graphics.

OTOH, since you have a 400, the only known "adverse" effect of a SpeedoHealer is that the odometer reads less than actual distance covered.

Since the odometer already reads more miles than actual, while not 10% to much as the speedometer, the odometer reads about 5% less than actual distance when the speedometer is spot on.

P.S.: It's ONLY the owner's business whether or not he finds the speedometer's gross optimism a problem he wants to have fixed.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I just do the math in my head and really only worry about it once I get to higher speeds. Around town at 30-45mph it really doesn't make much difference. Once I get to 50 indicated then I start thinking about it. 10% seems to be close to what I get, indicated verses actual = 9.4% difference according to my calculation of gauge verses GPS.
Here is a chart using 10%
Indicated verses Actual
10mph = 9mph
20mph = 18mph
30mph = 27mph
40mph = 36mph
50mph = 45mph
60mph = 54mph
70mph = 63mph
etc..

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
What if every owner would like it fixed? Just didn't see who doesn't

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Would I like to have a more accurate speedometer, YES. Would I be willing to spend more than a couple of dollars and 10 minutes fixing it, NO. It's just not a big enough problem for me to worry much about or want to spend much effort fixing.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I mean it would be nice if correct speedo came from factory. I admit don't quite understand why it doesn't.

Reactions: MVteach

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Just seems to be a thing with motorcycle manufacturers. I've never owned a bike that had a speedometer that did not over state the speed you were going. And I've been riding bikes since the late 70s.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It isn't just bikes either very few cars are 100% accurate although they tend to be closer than bikes. Also it depends on what kind of sender is used. The types that run off the transmission tend to be more accurate than the type that runs off the wheel.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The inaccuracy is 100% intentional, and serves to make ignorant drivers/riders believe that their vehicles are faster and more economical than they actually are.
We have yet to see a warning sticker on a vehicle's speedometer saying:

WARNING: This speedometer shows the vehicle's actual speed without any exaggeration. Be careful not to exceed the posted speed limit

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 650, and I would seriously prefer the speedo giving the correct reading, the odometer doing the same (and not reaching maintenace points too soon!), and being able to cruise through town without the revs at a silly 3000.
EricDK has cleverly resolved all this but at the cost of two spedo healers.
It seems to me that Suzuki should simply have correctly programmed the software in the first place.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
US manufacturers have to meet SAE standard J1226 with regard to speedometer and odometer accuracy. It is a somewhat obfuscatory standard however the basics are:

The instruments must be read +/- 2.0% of actual speed
-or-
be biased to read -1% to +3% at speeds < 55 mph, and
and -1% to +4% at speeds > 55 mph.

These latter percentages are not percent of actual speed but rather
percent of the speedometer's total indicated range--mu understanding is that for obvious reasons most maker apply this latter standard

I.e. a 100 mph "clock" could have an error of +4.0 mph at 60 (+6.7%) and meet the standard; however a 160 mph speedometer could be +6.4 mph off at 60 (+10.7%) and still meet the standard.

J1226 also has a bunch of fudge allowing for additional acceptable error at temperature extremes, low system voltage and a couple other unusual situations.

The EU standard ECE-R 39 is less confusing--but also more forgiving (sort of)--stating simply that the speedometer must never be lower than actual speed, or higher by more than 1/10th (+10%) actual speed--plus 4 kph, or 2.5 mph.

At 60 mph this means a speedometer indicating 68.5 would meet the EU specification--8.5 mph higher the actual speed.

The EU standard differs most in its requirement that the speedometer/odometer not read less than actual speed/distance.

Japanese manufacturers also adhere to the EU standard--therefore the speedos on our Burgmans' being off by +10% is well within the spec...

In the last and FWIW (using GPS readings as my standard) the speedometer in my '03 Mustang GT was off by +2 mph at 60 (indicated) and by -6 mph at 140 (also indicated). By comparison my '98 SL500 reads dead on at an indicated 60, and 1.2 mph low at 155...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My bike is an Italian import and the metric speedo was 8.1% fast. I fitted a SpeedoHealer and it now shows MPH and agrees with my Garmin satnav. (As stated earlier, I made the mistake of sending the CVC signal through the SpeedoHealer which meant that the (metric) CVC chip was receiving a MPH signal. In my case the pink wire must go directly from the speedo pickup to the CVC)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My bike is an Italian import and the metric speedo was 8.1% fast. I fitted a SpeedoHealer and it now shows MPH and agrees with my Garmin satnav. (As stated earlier, I made the mistake of sending the CVC signal through the SpeedoHealer which meant that the (metric) CVC chip was receiving a MPH signal. In my case the pink wire must go directly from the speedo pickup to the CVC)
CVC is what I use the longer term CVT-controller to describe.

From 03 to 05 it was a seperate item, but from 06 forward it is integrated in the ECU (Engine Control Unit)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts