Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty used to being passed on the road. In my car I typically set the cruise at 56 on the two lanes and get passed often. The last couple of days I've put a couple hundred miles on my Burgman. I kept it just below 60 MPH indicated thinking that would put around 53/54 MPH actual with the reported 8-10% positive error on the speedometer.

However, I was the one doing the passing this time!

I've read where changing the weights/rollers can affect the speedometer readings. Do I have that correct? Is it possible the weights were changed at some point and that gives me a more true reading on the speedometer of how fast I'm going?

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same experience with my Burgman. I am running at about the same speed as the cars when I am doing 65 in a 55 zone (which is normal is south Georgia). I bought my Burgman with only a few hundred miles on it so I am very sure it is a stock bike.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The change in weights will alter the RPMs at a given speed (or, vice-versa) but, will have no effect on speedometer reading which, is taken at the wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Speedometer is off a average of 10% too fast. So 65 mph is more like 58.5 mph. The 650's are off the same. Buy changing my rear tire on my 650 it's now off only 5%. ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
For those of us that are smartphone savy, i downloaded the app called mph/kph...I then set it in the phone holder which is bolted to my mirror clamp bolt...It's a GPS fed app. 5000rpm is exactly 50mph... 6000 60mph... 7000 70mph...8000 80mph...9000 90mph

Nothing changed when i darksided...

Below 50mph use speedo reading!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is something you might think about... The harmonic noise from the engine might be what you are more in tune with rather than the actual indicated speed. The only thing that can change your speedometer reading differently is buying a new tire that is a different size, or... Adding or lowering your rear tire pressure altering its circumference, but then this only marginally affects the reading.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Like most others, I have verified with GPS that my speedo is off 10%.

Since a lot of our speeds now are 60 mph and 70 mph and the cops give most of us +5 mph, I just use some simple smart brain calculations while riding to get an approximate speed.

So to do 50 mph actual, run the bike at 50 + 5 indicated
So to do 60 mph actual, run the bike at 60 + 6 indicated
So to do 70 mph actual, run the bike at 70 + 7 indicated

Simple pattern and easy to follow.

I have just trained myself to run 55, 66, and 77 for most of the speeds I ride. That way you are running the posted speeds. Not causing a problem, and safe from speeding.

Shame on the Motorcycle industry for doing this to us.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got nearly 500 mi. this first week of ownership. What I've done, like many others before me, is just look at the tachometer. If it says 50, then I'm going 50 and so on. At 40 mph or less, I look at the speedo.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts