Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 400 has an induction-type speed sensor on the front hub with a two-wire harness. I am searching for instructions and illustrations regarding the installation of a speedohealer for this bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three question marks and nothing else must mean confusion. This forum has several threads concerning the Speedohealer function and installation. The device corrects speedometer indicated speed to match actual speed (my bike indicates 75 mph when the actual speed is 66 mph).

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The OP says he has a 2102 '400, I thought the '07+ models used a Hall-effect sensor on the final drive case, not the front wheel sensor--did Suzuki change back to the old style?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the SH-S03 because of that instruction in the webpage. However, the SH-S03 has instructions for installing in a bike with three wires connecting to the speed sensor. My 2012 400A has two leads connecting to the speed sensor. The correct kit is probably the SH-V4-2W (2W is most likely for 2-wire). The website does not offer instructions for installing with the SH-V4-2W kit. I am searching for instructions and illustrations regarding installation of the Speadohealer using the SH-V4-2W kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently Suzuki has implemented various technologies for measuring speed over the years and models. My front hub has a disk with regular spaced openings and a stationary sensor mounted such that it "sees" these openings come by as the hub rotates. The sensor outputs, roughly, a square wave. Some other unit receives the square wave signal and deduces speed from the number of waves per unit of time.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Apparently Suzuki has implemented various technologies for measuring speed over the years and models. My front hub has a disk with regular spaced openings and a stationary sensor mounted such that it "sees" these openings come by as the hub rotates. The sensor outputs, roughly, a square wave. Some other unit receives the square wave signal and deduces speed from the number of waves per unit of time.
I believe that is the ABS sensor, the speed sensor is at the rear of the final drive case; its cable runs along the top of the CVT cover...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
That's prety good the right guidance within 6 hours - pretty good service - hopefully the o/p acknowledges that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to parts fiches, the 2012 AN400 uses the same speed sensor as the 2007, so you're looking in the wrong place drlowe.

Look at this fiche, and see if the ABS speed sensor is what you have mistaken for the speedometer's speed sensor

http://www.absmotorcycles.com.au/partFinder/fiche/98295/5571005H00
I can't say from the picture for sure, but the ABS speed sensor fiche picture does look like the sensor on my front hub.

Look at this fiche http://www.absmotorcycles.com.au/partFinder/fiche/98266 which shows the speed sensor that supplies a signal to the speedometer. Unfortunately the diagram does not indicate where the speed sensor mounts. Its part number is 34990-05H01.

I have an AN400A, but I have been using an AN400 manual, which, up until now, has not led me astray. This manual mentions only one speed sensor and it is on the front wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to parts fiches, the 2012 AN400 uses the same speed sensor as the 2007, so you're looking in the wrong place drlowe.

Look at this fiche, and see if the ABS speed sensor is what you have mistaken for the speedometer's speed sensor

http://www.absmotorcycles.com.au/partFinder/fiche/98295/5571005H00
That picture does look like the sensor on my front hub.

Look at this fiche which shows the speedometer and its associated speed sensor with part number 34990-05H01. http://www.absmotorcycles.com.au/partFinder/fiche/98266 Unfortunately, the fiche diagram does not indicate where on the bike is the location of the speed sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that is the ABS sensor, the speed sensor is at the rear of the final drive case; its cable runs along the top of the CVT cover...
I think I see it. It is mounted just outboard and little aft of another sensor, which is surely the rear wheel ABS sensor.

I recall two wire harnesses running inside when I removed the clutch cover for maintenance. Presumably, one is for the ABS sensor and the other for the speedometer sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does your manual say anything about ABS ? (I presume your AN400 has ABS)
I have an AN400A Burgman and it does have ABS. Perhaps the last "A" in AN400A is for ABS. The pdf manual I found is for an AN400 and in this manual I find nothing about ABS. I cannot find a pdf service manual for AN400A.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The "A" is for ABS, the manual you have is probably for the pre '07 AN400, if it show a front axle mounter speed sensor.

There were some major change made in 2007 among which was the change in the speed sensor location to a more "automotive-like" location--I.e. reading velocity of a final drive component and calculating road speed as opposed to rotational speed of a wheel/tire. Tehcnically 6 of one amd 1/2 dozen of another, but different nonetheless,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To all: thanks for the advice and tips. More or less, I confirmed that the sensor at the rear gearbox is the speedometer sensor by disconnecting it and seeing that speedometer stopped working.

I installed the speedohealer and input my adjustment. Before: 66 mph actual produced 75 mph indicated, and riding 7.79 mi actual produced 8.1 mi indicated by the odometer. After: 65 mph actual produces 65 mph indicated, and riding 7.91 mi actual produces 7.2 miles indicated by the odometer.

For me, to see a correct speed on my speedometer is worth the trouble and expense. However, it all adds to my frustration with Susuki for building such a fine machine as the 2012 Burgman 400, and tarnishing it by installing a speedometer/odometer that is better described as a piece of crap.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
To all: thanks for the advice and tips. More or less, I confirmed that the sensor at the rear gearbox is the speedometer sensor by disconnecting it and seeing that speedometer stopped working.

I installed the speedohealer and input my adjustment. Before: 66 mph actual produced 75 mph indicated, and riding 7.79 mi actual produced 8.1 mi indicated by the odometer. After: 65 mph actual produces 65 mph indicated, and riding 7.91 mi actual produces 7.2 miles indicated by the odometer.

For me, to see a correct speed on my speedometer is worth the trouble and expense. However, it all adds to my frustration with Susuki for building such a fine machine as the 2012 Burgman 400, and tarnishing it by installing a speedometer/odometer that is better described as a piece of crap.
This is done on purpose, for what exact reason I do not know--perhaps some sort of "big brother" thing. At +10% it meets the EU ECE-R 39 standard which states a speedometer "must never be lower than actual speed, or higher by more than 1/10th (+10%) actual speed--plus 4 kph, or 2.5 mph."

I installed a SpeedoDRD device less than 2 months after getting my '03 400 as The incorrect speedometer was making me crazy--same thing just a different brand. FWIW I find better fuel economy and overall engine operation with the original (uncorrected) speed signal fed to the EU...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll take your word for that, although, of course, you will not get a true result if you calculate fuel consumption with numbers provided by the odometer. Before installing the speedohealer my indicated fuel consumption will be much lower than indicated after installing the speedohealer.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'll take your word for that, although, of course, you will not get a true result if you calculate fuel consumption with numbers provided by the odometer. Before installing the speedohealer my indicated fuel consumption will be much lower than indicated after installing the speedohealer.
This of course is correct, though my '03 400 has much simpler instrumentation. should I want to calculate fuel consumption I just add 10% to the miles traveled (something low on my list of things to do, as I know its better than the 18-20 mpg my other vehicle gets).

That the speedometer error is intentional has to be as the odometers read accurately, and there is no reason why--even way back in 2003--that a system of that type should be so inaccurate, +10% is absurd. My 1998 SL500 is dead on at "normal" speeds and read 155 mph at an actual speed (per a GPS, typically ±0.1 mph accuracy) of 153.8 mph; 0.78% fast

1 - 20 of 24 Posts