Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing the Speedo Healer was the first project I've done on my Burgman 650. Here's a quick and easy how-to for installation...

1) Before you begin installation, you'll need to figure out how much your speedometer needs to be adjusted. Mine was exactly 10% off. When I was traveling at an indicated speed of 80 MPH, I was actually only traveling at 72 MPH. I used my GPS to compare indicated to actual speed.

2) Go to http://www.healtech-electronics.com (the official website of Speedo Healer) and use their online adjustment calculator. You can then print the exact instructions for setting your Speedo Healer's adjustment.

3) Put your Burg. on the center stand and open the seat. You'll be working on the left side of the bike.

4) Remove the phillips screw (see pic below). The screw is located near some fuses and the helmet hook.

5) Lift up the plastic piece and place something under it to help keep it lifted so you can have easy access to the wires (see pic below).

6) There is only one plug that matches the wire harness provided with your Speedo Healer. Unplug the wires (see pic above) using a small flat head screw driver.

7) Plug in the Speedo Healer wire harness connectors that match the plugs you just separated in the previous step. Then plug the other end of the harness into the Speedo Healer.

See pic below for suggested location of the Speedo Healer device. Some people prefer to route the wire into the trunk or other places instead. I chose this spot, because it's easily accessible and it won't get damaged by things being placed into or removed from the trunk. The unit lifts out easily and there's plenty of wire on the harness.

That's it for installation. Just put the plastic panel back in place and put the screw back in. Now you'll need to program the unit by following the directions that came with it and the adjustment settings you printed from the website.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I contacted their tech. support people regarding the issue some Burgmans have when Speedo Healer is installed. I've seen some posts regarding shifting and RPM issues. Here's their reply with the solution:

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your email.

Here are some photos from the AN650 K7+ service manual.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In a nutshell, this is what need to be done:
- Leave the SH harness connected at the speed sensor plug
- Route the original (uncalibrated) speed signal to the ECM.

1) Gain access to the ECM unit connector. It is at the front of the bike.
- Take off the handle bar Tupperware and the front panel - see the 3rd photo.

2) Locate the ECM pin #7 (this is a Pink or White wire) - see 1st photo.

3) When the wire is found:
- Cut this wire, about 2 inches away from the connector.
- Get a long spare wire, and connect it to the wire end which is at the ECM connector side.
- Isolate the wire end with tape, that remains at the wiring harness side.
- Splice the other end of this spare wire to the SH WHITE wire, which is at the 3-pole SH connector.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, everything should work normally and the calibration will not affect the CVT.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
Here are the pics they sent with the email:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Thanks for posting the instructions for speed signal bypass.

The raised RPM issue is really annoying, but still less annoying than the speedo showing 10% to much, so Ive lived with it until now.

Like someone posted in a recent SpeedoHealer thread, and suggested by myself earlier, you could add a second SH in the bypass connection and adjust it to give a fester speed signal, resulting in a rpm vs speed reduction like the "winter" setting of some auto transmissions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

The fix described above does work. I've had the higher RPM and rougher engine braking for the last two months since installing the Speedo Healer. But after adding the bypass wire, the RPM levels have dropped back to normal.

Example of before and after...

Without the fix, the engine ran at 4,000 RPM at 50 MPH.
With the fix, the engine now runs at 3,800 RPM at 50 MPH.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Great post!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know this is an old post but mine gets worse the faster you go, 4 mph fast at 35 range up to 9 mph fast at 70 to 75, this really bugs me. I took the easy way out an just ordered a small gps speedo off Amazon ($36.00), when it gets here I'll be scratching my head deciding where to mount it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts