Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the speed displayed is about 10% off. I was looking around and discovered this product that claims to fix such errors. Here is the link http://www.blackrobotics.com/

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
HappyPuppy said:
...I was looking around and discovered this product that claims to fix such errors...
I'm going to shoot off an E-mail to them to see if it will work with digital read-out speedos like the AN650's.

$100 is a bit steep, but I'm an accuracy fanatic. :error:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
It's a bit expensive but also has, "KPH-MPH conversion mode for imported vehicles" that might be useful to our Canadian forum members.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for the link. The price tag scares me as well. I've sort of gotten used to just riding at 10kms over the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I sent the following E-mail to the company a little bit ago. I'll paste a copy of their reply if and when I get it.

Dear Sirs and Madams:

A member of the BurgmanUSA members forum posted a link to your site, and since our bikes have a known 10% error you may have a number of customers seeking your services.

One question, which I will report back to the group: will your product work with LCD digital speedometers? The Suzuki Burgman 650 has an LCD multifunction display that includes speedometer, tachometer, odometer, and warning indicators.

Also, although the speed indication is wrong, the odometer indication is correct; will your device cause a change in the odometer reading during the speed correction?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Respectfully,
Brian XXXXX
Seattle, Washington

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It is a nice bit of kit but a lot of $$$$.

Most decent GPS will give an accurate speed output and in some cases for not a lot more $$$ when the additional funcionality is factored in.

Personally and even though I live in the land of the speed camera (our government has discovered a new income generator) I just build in my own fudge factor - I do not find it a problem - but then I have been able to cross check against GPS (not mounted all the time) so have that confidence check.

We have 5 important limits 20, 30, 40, 60 and 70mph - I suppose I could mark the speedo with some key markings at these points. Mmmmm :!:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
...We have 5 important limits 20, 30, 40, 60 and 70mph - I suppose I could mark the speedo with some key markings at these points. Mmmmm :!:
Great idea! :idea:

You could go cheap and easy with a felt pen or china marker, or go all out and use a drill to make little divots for some nice flourescent paint or something.

Too bad we can't do that on the 650s. :cry:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
:oops: :oops:

Yes Brian - I am a tadge embarrassed!

There I was lulled into an old tech solution in an old world problem forgetting that most here will be looking at a 'glass cockpit'

But that's me - never an early adopter - I even prefer an analogue watch! :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
:oops: :oops:

Yes Brian - I am a tadge embarrassed!

There I was lulled into an old tech solution in an old world problem forgetting that most here will be looking at a 'glass cockpit'
No need to be embarrassed. For the great many of you who ride the 400s and other dial gauge bikes, that was a really brilliant solution.

Simple, quick, low cost...brilliant!

NormanB said:
...I even prefer an analogue watch! :wink:
I'm a WOSTEP Certificated Watchmaker. I like you more all the time! :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Here's the reply I got regarding my e-mail question to the makers of the Yellow Box:

Hi Brian,

Yes the Yellow Box is fully compatible with the Burgman, and with
LCD digital speedos.

The Yellow Box corrects both the speedo and odo by the same percentage.
The manufacturer set difference between the speedo and odo will not
change. Older year models probably won't have this difference in
accuracy, their speedo and odo will be out by about the same. Some may
have a 3% difference between the speedo and odo.

With setting speedo correction, some people prefer an accurate speedo,
some an accurate odo, and others set their correction between the two.
The Yellow Box will also correct for sprocket change errors.

-Jennifer
Frankly, for $100+ I'll just "correct" the speedometer error in my head. I'd rather have an accurate odometer for computing gas stop requirements on tours and service intervals.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Has anyone installed one of these on a 650. I would like to know if it causes any problems with the transmisson operation.

·
Registered
793 Posts
He dudes,

I'm going to be completing the first Burgy Module sometime in September ('04), it's the BurgyBrakeAlarm module.

I'd like to take on the challenge of designing a speed calibrator for the 400 and 650, but I need time.
How about if you guys give me till December '04 and I'll do it for under $45 US funds each, including US 48 shipping.

The yeller.com/blackrobotics.com guys are Australian and don't have names and addresses and other important stuff - I do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts