Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I blew by a Stater with radar doing 72 mph in a 60 and he didn't take after me, I figured something was wrong. Subsequent road testing indicates an error of as much as 20% at most speeds. My 650 is unmodified. I've had taken it to 2 dealers and they say it is within a legal 10% error and give it back to me with the same problem.

Is anybody else experiencing this degree of speedo error?

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
10% is typical, as with most bikes. 72-10%=65. the cops usually leave you alone up to 10 over. In a 55 zone I cruse @ 65. a state cop stopped me (got off "whew") 71 Radar, Indicated 79

·
Registered
135 Posts
just about every motorcycle speedo reads 10% fast although you will find the odometer is very close to accurate...i have confirmed this 10% difference with my gps.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
Yes its a common problem with the Burgman.
Allwalk,

You probably didn't mean it exactly the way your fingers typed it, but just so we don't scare away potential new owners: It's not really a problem, and it is not unique to Burgmans. My Suzuki V-Strom also has a speedometer that is 10% optimistic. My Kawaski Concours, and my Honda Shadow 1100 also did. This is done by design - why? - I really don't know.

Fortunately, it seems to be a constant +10% over actual speed, so it is pretty easy to do the math and know how fast you are actually travelling - I've gotten used to doing that.

By the way, has anyone checked their car speedometer against GPS? I suspect that many of them also read higher than actual speed. I've gone through more than one radar trap with mine at an indicated 10-15 mph over the speed limit without being stopped. It could be that the trooper was in the middle of eating a donut at the time :D but I suspect my car speedo also reads high.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
While seveal states may give you a 10 MPH leeway, Tennessee State Troopers do not. I got a ticket for 9 over that cost me a small fortune due to insurance increase. A few of my friends (city, county, and state patrolmen) all said they tend to give you up to 7 MPH over before writing a ticket.

Bill

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Your correct Pauljo, I don't want to misrepresent anyone considering a Burgman. The word problem was not the best choice of works to use.
Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I do not know anything about GPS, so these maybe a stupid questions. But since everything has some degree of error.

What is the speed error rate in a GPS? Does it vary by brand and /or model? Does setup and operation effect the speed reading? Are the published error rates from manufacturers or independent sources?

I was curious.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Roy,

Don't accept this as fact, but I seem to remember that the average margin for error on GPS speed indications is 0.07%. The 2 things that are the primary cause of the 'high' amount of error are the inaccuracy of the instruments themselves and the US Department of Defense "Selective Availability" which introduces a small (pseudo-random) error in the timings from the satellites.

Bill

·
Registered
308 Posts
billmeek said:
Roy,

Don't accept this as fact, but I seem to remember that the average margin for error on GPS speed indications is 0.07%. The 2 things that are the primary cause of the 'high' amount of error are the inaccuracy of the instruments themselves and the US Department of Defense "Selective Availability" which introduces a small (pseudo-random) error in the timings from the satellites.

Bill
SA has been off for quite some time. GPS error at the terminal device is a factor off timebase errors (quartz vs. Temp compensated osc.), and delta FT jitter, caused by atmospheric anomallies.

·
Registered
969 Posts
allwalk & pauljo,
I hate to screech, but I really do think it's a problem. I tend to drive/ride at the speed limit when possible, and I resent Suzuki's attempt to keep me legal in spite of myself. My Subaru, Volvo, even the Suzuki DR are right on as near as I can tell (no GPS), but it seems all my Suzuki street bikes since the early 70's have demanded that I compute to keep up. I think it's just silly. Especially in light of the fact that the 650's digital indicator could be easily reprogrammed by the factory to indicate a true reading.
Okay, I'll go take a pill now. :wink:
Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Steve,

I agree that it is annoying. I'm also OK with calling it silly. But as you noted, this has been going on for a very long time. Suzuki isn't going to do a voluntary recall on it, because they'd have to recall every street motorcycle they have made - not just Burgmans. The only question is - for how far back?

We can talk all we want to about it on this forum, but we don't know for sure if Suzuki even has anyone monitor this forum. Have you talked to anyone at your dealership about it? Is there anyone at Suzuki USA who could be contacted? I'm honestly not sure that this is worth the effort... but it is something to try.

The more likely solution is for someone to manufacture an aftermarket module that would plug in between the speed sensor and the speedometer to correct the readout. But you'd want to know if it also affected the odometer and trip meters. And with the Burgman, you'd want to know if it affected input to the CVT computer - because that also monitors road speed. But if someone could do it right, sell it for a reasonable price, and make it easy to install - we'd have our fix.

Some interesting reading:

http://web.bsu.edu/00amleduc/Wing/Forumtips/speedo.htm

http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail.cfm ... roduct.htm

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've seen references to the 650 being off 10%...but is the 400 expected to be off too? I had a Tennessee State Trooper clock me using radar and it was within 2 MPH of indicated speed traveling at 65.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
I've seen references to the 650 being off 10%...but is the 400 expected to be off too? I had a Tennessee State Trooper clock me using radar and it was within 2 MPH of indicated speed traveling at 65.
Bill,

My Burgman 650 is off 10%. My Suzuki V-Strom 1000 is off 10%. I think all Suzuki's read 10% high. If your 400 isn't doing that, then it is probably defective, and you should return it immediately to your dealer and have a properly optimistic speedometer installed. :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Now, did you actually ask the gentleman to clock you? Is it someone you know? Or did you just ride up to a Trooper and say "Excuse me sir... but could you clock me with your radar gun while I'm going very fast". (Sorry, again - but I'd really like to know.)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Now, did you actually ask the gentleman to clock you? Is it someone you know? Or did you just ride up to a Trooper and say "Excuse me sir... but could you clock me with your radar gun while I'm going very fast". (Sorry, again - but I'd really like to know.)
Paul,

Just asked a random State Trooper to help me out.

I saw a trooper at the local convenience store and asked which way he was going and did he have certified calibration on his car speedo (most do). I explained my concern over the speedo error on bikes. I asked would he mind if I follow him and could he flash his brake lights when he hit the speed limit. The trooper suggested using the radar as it had just been calibrated and should provided a more accurate reading. He told me to give him a 2 minute head start and he'd clock me about 1 mile up the road and once I got past him to just pull over. I was doing just under 65 and the radar clocked me at 63.

Just to be sure, I may try this a couple more times at different speeds/other radar guns to get an average.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Does the innovator of the week award come with a prize? Maybe a GPS unit? :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts