Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had read alot about the burgman and one huge complaint was the speedo being off by about 10% so I was sorta riding around with this in my head, but this morning I found out my 2008 is not wrong, or maybe 1 or 2% at best.

Ugh.... Speed limit was 65 and I was doing 77 thinking it was closer to 70. Rolling along with traffic he comes up behind me and the dreaded blue lights come on. I got a ticket for going 76 in a 65 so no more will be assuming any error in my speedo :(

Oh yeah and of course I get the 10 minute lecture on motorcycle safety and how I am apparently a greater danger to everyone on the road than the woman who passed me in an Expedition SUV at over 80mph with her vanity down and eating a biscuit. Who knew?

According to him the best thing I can do for my safety is go 65mph and let everyone ride my ass down the freeway - thanks for the tip officer!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got a ticket. If you have a GPS, turn it on and go for a ride and that way you will know for sure what the difference in indicated and actual is.

Bill

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The officer wasn't in the mood, didn't sleep or eat well, family troubles, bikes intolerance etc. Human factor in a word

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh he for sure didn't like bikes, I could tell that. Seemed to imply that we all ride dangerous and are punks. Yet I was probably speeding the least out of everyone out then. I am gonna test out my Iphone GPS app on the way home and see just how accurate it is.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would wonder how you were clocked. Were you isolated enough for him to select you? Did he pace you for the required distance? Or were you last in a line. If the latter, would establishing the lead car's speed be sufficient to ticket the trailing vehicle?

I have a hard time believing your speedometer is the one correct one of the entire production run of Burgman's. Unless you or a PO stuck a speedohealer, or equivalent on there.

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
This is one I would make a court date for and plead my case to the judge. I would not mention the speedo error as that will set off red flags and they stop listening to you right then. Apologize that "Yes I was speeding but I was only trying to stay with the flow to be safe and not tailgated". I would also let the judge know when singled out and pulled over, not only were you ticketed but also detained for a 10 minuet lecture on Motorcycle safety, something you already understood. You may get the ticket thrown out, reduced or remanded to jail and court costs. Just me, YMMV.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Funny subject, kinda.. About a year ago, I was returning from a 450 mile trip on a cold, rainy morning, running about 80 in a 65 with low traffic and a good highway. Coming around a truck, I realize there's a highway patrol in front of the truck.. but using the old 10% error thinking, I think I'm still in a "safety zone" speed wise.. and go ahead around the officer as well. He turns off the highway and I suddenly realize, I had put my gps on the dash, covering the bikes speedo, so I REALLY WAS doing 80... To this day I think the officer decided that due to the riding conditions he wasn't gonna make my day worse.. that's the only explanation I could come up with..

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Funny subject, kinda.. About a year ago, I was returning from a 450 mile trip on a cold, rainy morning, running about 80 in a 65 with low traffic and a good highway. Coming around a truck, I realize there's a highway patrol in front of the truck.. but using the old 10% error thinking, I think I'm still in a "safety zone" speed wise.. and go ahead around the officer as well. He turns off the highway and I suddenly realize, I had put my gps on the dash, covering the bikes speedo, so I REALLY WAS doing 80... To this day I think the officer decided that due to the riding conditions he wasn't gonna make my day worse.. that's the only explanation I could come up with..
Nah, you missed the sign for fresh Donuts and Coffee. He did not.

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
One thing most cops understand is they give a ticket or the 10 minuit lecture but not both. That is Double Penalized. Now getting the judge to agree is a whole new ball game.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my speedometer is not accurate according to my GPS, at 70mph, my tomtom sayes 64 so it does seem mine is pretty close to 10% off. I don't know I think I am going to ask for proof on this one and get a court date. I dont think this was fair.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I am kinda annoyed that I got pulled over, maybe I was going faster than I thought before I looked down, but I am pretty sure I wasn't.

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Well my speedometer is not accurate according to my GPS, at 70mph, my tomtom sayes 64 so it does seem mine is pretty close to 10% off. I don't know I think I am going to ask for proof on this one and get a court date. I dont think this was fair.
Well I know from experience that you do not want to try fighting a speedo error issue. The judge will only listen so long and then deem you KNEW there was an issue and stop listening to anything else.

What I would plead is the safety issue of NOT staying with the flow and getting tailgated by some "Lady" in an SUV putting her makeup on and talking on the cell phone. And without sounding like a whiner, explain that it seemed that the LEO must have been having a bad day. Not only did he pull you over for following the traffic flow but he ran your DMV record, wrote the $2,500 ticket and then, while holding you, gave a lecture informing you how stupid you must be riding a motorcycle, how unsafe it is and you should just hang off to the side and do the 65 MPH speed limit and pay no attention to the SUV's screaming by you at 70+ MPH. What is the cost of this ticket, $125? Plus how much is your insurance going to go up? A day of missed work too for the court day? Is it worth fighting?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
With regard to radars, when passing a speed indicator board (just i guess to put the wind up before drivers a little), it shows exactly the same speed as on my speedo. So they prove to know about that 10% and will hardly take it off in court

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I know from experience that you do not want to try fighting a speedo error issue. The judge will only listen so long and then deem you KNEW there was an issue and stop listening to anything else.

What I would plead is the safety issue of NOT staying with the flow and getting tailgated by some "Lady" in an SUV putting her makeup on and talking on the cell phone. And without sounding like a whiner, explain that it seemed that the LEO must have been having a bad day. Not only did he pull you over for following the traffic flow but he ran your DMV record, wrote the $2,500 ticket and then, while holding you, gave a lecture informing you how stupid you must be riding a motorcycle, how unsafe it is and you should just hang off to the side and do the 65 MPH speed limit and pay no attention to the SUV's screaming by you at 70+ MPH. What is the cost of this ticket, $125? Plus how much is your insurance going to go up? A day of missed work too for the court day? Is it worth fighting?
Yeah I am going to call today and find out what its going to cost and then decide whether I want to fight it or not. Seriously thinking of riding around with my helmet cam on at all times because if I had been I would have proof that I was simply staying with the flow of traffic and not "Riding excessively fast" as it was noted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't fight tickets. There isn't an explanation that will convince a judge that you weren't speeding. But, here ( don't know if its everywhere) you can do a couple of things, 1 -if you have a clean record ask for a diversion. They put the ticket on hold, for a period of time,usually, 6-12 months. If you don't get another ticket, it goes away. 2-have it changed to inattentive driving, a non-moving violation. It costs more, but has no affect on insurance.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got 1 last year on my Automoto Scooter so option 1 is out lol....

I'll probably just pay it and move on.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Officer probably thought that even 70mph on a scooter has to be 'excessively fast'

or...

This might be the same guy that ticketed you last year. Saw you coming, says to self, "Dang scooter's going faster than she was last year!" "Some learnin' needs to occur here, and I'm just the cop to do it."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts