Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My brother has a Honda 750 Shadow which is right on. My son's Vulcan 900 is off just like my Burgman so what does Honda know that Suzuki & Kawaski doesn't. :dontknow:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nope. Most people find the odometer to be almost smack on.
When check milage with God or the mile makers on the expressway it is 10% high, just like the speed. I plan to install a speed healer and check mileage again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well this speedo error expains why I'm getting passed all the time at 60mph... I don't want to be pokey and be passed by an angry driver. Suppose I'll try and maintain 68-70 and see if that speed will keep me in the rocking chair.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well this speedo error expains why I'm getting passed all the time at 60mph... I don't want to be pokey and be passed by an angry driver. Suppose I'll try and maintain 68-70 and see if that speed will keep me in the rocking chair.

Thanks for the heads up.
On the highways and especially during rush hours, I find it best to go the speed of traffic no matter what it is. Cagers around here can get stupid aggressive if your doing the hokie pokie speed limit. When I'm going through a small town on a ride, I will either go by GPS or what the bike indicates, I don't care to donate to Mayberry's sheriff department. I like Andy and all, but he ain't gettin my money.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I really don't like to base my speed on the speed of traffic. But I follow your logic, and it is sound. Atlanta traffic has a phenomenon. Generally on or inside the loop, traffic runs at least 10 mph over the speed limit. Last night I did a good 15 mph over and was just basically running with traffic. Here's the phenomenon. It doesn't matter (in Atlanta) if you run with traffic, at the speed limit, or if you're doing 100 mph, there is a segment of the population of drivers that WILL go SCREAMING past you and everybody else, like you're standing still and will weave in around and through traffic as if they are being pursued by law enforcement. You'll be hustling a good clip while trying to maintain a gap and then whooooosh out of nowhere, and gone before you even saw them coming. It IS scary. Then, it looks like mob mentality, the first one incites 9 more just like them screaming through traffic in near hoopties. I guess the rationale is that if 10 of them are doing it, unless there are 10 cop cars sitting and waiting, only 1 of them is going to get chased and/or pulled over.

It happens each and every time I go through Atlanta, except when traffic is jammed (but I stay out during those times). But it is as dangerous as can be. These drivers are generally inexperienced, can barely see over their steering wheel, and mostly drive near hoopties. A near hooptie just means that it's a Hyundai or Kia that just needs a couple more weeks or at most a couple months with that driver behind to wheel to advance the vehicle to full hooptie status. And the way they weave through the traffic, I expect to see 10 law enforcement cars in pursuit (but never do). The following 9 chase vehicles by very similar drivers, well it just looks like they're playing (very dangerous) games. Maybe other big cities experience this, but in Atlanta it is common.

If a citizen pullover and arrest were possible, I wouldn't even chance doing so, because they are so dangerous as it is, to try to stop them would put them and everybody else in even more danger. I'm not easily scared, but man, it scares me even in a car when I got whoooooshed by like explained.

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
I was driving my daughters Honda Fit from Pittsburgh to the Seattle area when she moved back. In Nebraska I was doing 85 MPH and felt a bit uncomfortable doing that speed. I looked out the right window to a Amtrak train going past me like if I'd hit the brakes, about 120 MPH. Then a 18 wheeler passed me on the left side doing about what speed the train was doing. About crashed from the air blast and vacuum after it went by.

85 in a FIT is 15 MPH too fast but it was the average speed of traffic. NOT a freeway car!!! My 1978 Mazda GLC 1.2L (323) was much better car at that speed.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really don't like to base my speed on the speed of traffic. But I follow your logic, and it is sound. Atlanta traffic has a phenomenon. Generally on or inside the loop, traffic runs at least 10 mph over the speed limit. Last night I did a good 15 mph over and was just basically running with traffic. Here's the phenomenon. It doesn't matter (in Atlanta) if you run with traffic, at the speed limit, or if you're doing 100 mph, there is a segment of the population of drivers that WILL go SCREAMING past you and everybody else, like you're standing still and will weave in around and through traffic as if they are being pursued by law enforcement. You'll be hustling a good clip while trying to maintain a gap and then whooooosh out of nowhere, and gone before you even saw them coming. It IS scary. Then, it looks like mob mentality, the first one incites 9 more just like them screaming through traffic in near hoopties. I guess the rationale is that if 10 of them are doing it, unless there are 10 cop cars sitting and waiting, only 1 of them is going to get chased and/or pulled over.

It happens each and every time I go through Atlanta, except when traffic is jammed (but I stay out during those times). But it is as dangerous as can be. These drivers are generally inexperienced, can barely see over their steering wheel, and mostly drive near hoopties. A near hooptie just means that it's a Hyundai or Kia that just needs a couple more weeks or at most a couple months with that driver behind to wheel to advance the vehicle to full hooptie status. And the way they weave through the traffic, I expect to see 10 law enforcement cars in pursuit (but never do). The following 9 chase vehicles by very similar drivers, well it just looks like they're playing (very dangerous) games. Maybe other big cities experience this, but in Atlanta it is common.

If a citizen pullover and arrest were possible, I wouldn't even chance doing so, because they are so dangerous as it is, to try to stop them would put them and everybody else in even more danger. I'm not easily scared, but man, it scares me even in a car when I got whoooooshed by like explained.
I've been to and drove around and through Atlanta for a week once in a cage. That was enough. The yard birds here in OKC are nothing compared to the bat poop crazies in the ATL. They are a different breed of drivers there.

My first taste was when I went through Atlanta about 1am going 10mph over the speed limit and being passed by everyone, even the police, who wasn't running lights or siren, so guess it was just S.O.P. Still can't understand how you can have 8 lanes of highway plus 4 lanes of access roadway(and that's just one direction) and still come to a complete standstill traffic jam. Blew my mind.

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
They offered me an assignment at US Army Ft McPeherson in "Hot'lanta" back in 1987 but I declined and went to Germany for my 3rd tour. I would have been there for my last 6 years running the base Commo section. It would have been an easy assignment managing 35-50 soldiers as base Telephone installers.
But the life in Atlanta was not for us. Too hot summers. Schools for my kids were not what we wanted.

If I had taken it I may have not had to go to Korea in 1993 for 13 months, could have never done that and never missed that opportunity.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was driving my daughters Honda Fit from Pittsburgh to the Seattle area when she moved back. In Nebraska I was doing 85 MPH and felt a bit uncomfortable doing that speed. I looked out the right window to a Amtrak train going past me like if I'd hit the brakes, about 120 MPH. Then a 18 wheeler passed me on the left side doing about what speed the train was doing. About crashed from the air blast and vacuum after it went by.

85 in a FIT is 15 MPH too fast but it was the average speed of traffic. NOT a freeway car!!! My 1978 Mazda GLC 1.2L (323) was much better car at that speed.
You had the 5-speed, right? Dad had a 323 (early 80s) with the 4-speed -- solid car, but man did it need another gear....

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
1978 GLC 1.2 Sport. (?) Yes, 5 speed but on the German Autobahn it needed a 6th. Flat out on flat ground it maxed out at 85 MPH plus a bit farther but the dial stopped at 85. But hit a big hill and it dropped to 70 MPH. The PX gas coupons I was paying about $1.50 a gallon and it was giving about 29 MPG so not too bad.
We lived on the base only 250 feet from my office so my commute was not bad except when the weather turned bad in Stuttgart and the Civilian Switchboard Operators could not make it in and then I got the call to go sit on the board for the shift. I then had to do my normal shift as Telephone repair the next morning till 4 PM.
I installed and repaired these phones:
Call Director.jpg

564A.jpg

·
Registered
451 Posts
They offered me an assignment at US Army Ft McPeherson in "Hot'lanta" back in 1987 but I declined and went to Germany for my 3rd tour.
UNACCEPTABLE. I chose a very special location in Atlanta metro due to good quality public ejumacation. I mean, I got learned rite so I want my sons learned rite too.

Not long after I moved here, McPherson done got BRAC'd.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yes Burgman speedometer is 10% optimistic. Figuring true speed without my GPS keeps me alert.
Kia Forte 2016 is dead-on.
Sportster 2007 seems to be dead-on also. 🙄

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well this speedo error expains why I'm getting passed all the time at 60mph... I don't want to be pokey and be passed by an angry driver. Suppose I'll try and maintain 68-70 and see if that speed will keep me in the rocking chair
why do you need to care why theres a na angry driver? drive on the right and let everyone pass on the left. they dont like it, contact the Bureau of Investigation at 1800 efff off
I drive 50 at times by gps. I dont care. you dont like it, you have 2 other lanes to drive on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
s-steel I'd just want to keep up with traffic and not be the victim of a rode rage incident.

Here in the States we have a new royalty; they're above the law, untouchable, they can commit mayhem and murder with impunity they are perfect voters so the governing apparatchiks indulged them...

... I don't want to get in their way or attract their attention by being pokey and give them the opportunity to play near misses.

·
Registered
451 Posts
why do you need to care why theres a na angry driver? drive on the right and let everyone pass on the left. they dont like it, contact the Bureau of Investigation at 1800 efff off
I drive 50 at times by gps. I dont care. you dont like it, you have 2 other lanes to drive on.
100% agreement.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts