Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in several post that the speedometer is off on the Burgman between 6-10%.... why? and is there a way to fix it so it is accurate, or do you always go by speed minus 5???

·
Premium Member
14,111 Posts
Why? No one really knows. It is a common problem with motorcycles in general not just the Burgmans. For some reason the manufactors feel they have to make them read high. An industry has grown up around creating devices that alter the input sent from the sensors to the speeometers to trick them into reading right. The one most often mentioned is the Speedo Healer. The problem there is that the odometers read fairly accurate so if you change the sensor input you make the odometer wrong.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, they can be off as much as 10% which means if it's showing an indicated 30mph you're really going 27mph, an indicated reading of 60mph is really 54mph, etc.

Why? because motorcycle manufacturers are not required to have accurate speedometers and are allowed a 10% variance +/_. I don't know the reason why they can't be more accurate, just laziness on their part?

There's a device called a SpeedoHealer that can be purchased for about $120 that can plug into the speed sensor wire and program it to compensate for the error. The only problem with correcting the speedo is it may make the odometer reed miles ridden inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
While owning my 650 Executive for 4 years I became accustomed to mentally deducting 10% from the speedometer.
My new ride, 2011 Victory Vision, is spot on. (Checked multiple times with my GPS)

So, not ALL motorcycle manufacturers fudge the speedometer issue. :D

·
I'm Retired
9,377 Posts
I just compensate with taking off 10%. If the speedo reads 70 mph, I take 7 mph off and I'm really doing 63 mph. It was the same on my previous bike.

Chris

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
There's a few reason why people think the manufacturers intentionally make the speedometers read higher than the bike is actually going. This inflates the perception of the top end of the bike.... although most riders will found out that the speed is artificially inflated. The other proposed reason is for liability. Should someone change out the tire and it change the speed just a little bit to where the speedometer reads low, they don't want to be sued should someone get a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
wmcqueen said:
I have read in several post that the speedometer is off on the Burgman between 6-10%.... why? and is there a way to fix it so it is accurate, or do you always go by speed minus 5???
My 2009 650 Exec was off by 9.5% which I fixed with a Speedohealer. My 2007 Honda VTX 1300 was off by 9% which I fixed with a speedohealer, my 2005 Honda VT 750A was off by 9%. My GL1800 Gold Wing was off, My GL1500 Gold Wing was off. It is a common thing with motorcycles.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
+1 for the Speedohealer. My speed was off by 8%, but the mileage was dead on. I decided that it was more important to know my correct speed instantly as one never knows when Officer Krupy will be just around the next bend with his "Kodak." It does bug me a bit when I seem 42 mpg at a fill-up until i remember that it's really 45 mpg.

As far as speedometers and odometers being correct, I have a 2009 Hyundai and both are dead on as measured by my GPS. It's better for it o be exact than having to guess or go through a calculation (one more distraction to me). Of course, if you change tires, you'll be off again if the size doesn't match the originals. Still, there's no good reason for any manufacturer to not provide an accurate instrument.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess they are build by men, and yes we all exagerate a little, ( yes that is 7 inches :wink: )

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
andystracey said:
I guess they are build by men, and yes we all exagerate a little, ( yes that is 7 inches :wink: )
Only 7 inches? :? I guess we should start calling you "Shorty" :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Speed & speedo readings..............

Personally - I don't really care what speed the speedo is indicating (For whatever reason!!) If I am keeping up with all the traffic, I nver look at the speedo - so it can be off by 20%.!! NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME AT ALL!! What I do care about is - THAT THE FUEL GUAGE IS NOT OFF BY 10-20%..........!!!!! :cheers: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:

Ken

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I bought a speedo healer shortly after buying my Burgman.

It gives me one less thing to think of knowing that the speedo is dead on.

As for the odometer showing to little - who cares? Think of it as Botox.

Many cars also have the odometers showing to much - it gives the impression of better gas mileage than actual.

Those of you that lives in a country that uses miles and have a speedometer that can switch between miles and kilometres can take advantage of this: Switch to kilometres and adjust the speedohealer to divide the speed signal by 1.6. Your speedo will then show the correct speed in miles per hour. though it says km/hour and likewise with the odometer.
When time comes to sell, you remove the speedohealer and switch the speedometer back to miles.
Your odometer will now show 10,000 miles for each 16,000 miles actually ridden.
An effective way of slowing the ageing process.

Note: You will have to do the more complicated install, where the speedohealer only alters the signal to the speedometer and not the computer. If you don't, the CVT will switch into high way to soon relative to your speed. I'm having the opposite problem, because the CVT computer sees lower speed than expected and assume that I'm going uphill and therefore keeps the gearing lower.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Re: Speed & speedo readings..............

bosshoss1 said:
Personally - I don't really care what speed the speedo is indicating (For whatever reason!!) If I am keeping up with all the traffic, I nver look at the speedo - so it can be off by 20%.!! NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME AT ALL!! What I do care about is - THAT THE FUEL GUAGE IS NOT OFF BY 10-20%..........!!!!! :cheers: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:

Ken
MIne is off by that much, I think. If I remember, the books says when I get the fuel pump icon and the last bar flashing at the same time, I have 1.0 liters left. I'll drive 25 miles with both flashing and stop to refuel and only take 3.4 - 3.5 gallons. That means I still have about 2 liters in the tank and have only driven about 136 miles total on that tank full. I had this same problem on a boat. I took out the sending unit out of the tank and lengthened the float rod a bit to correct the boat's.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Yup, in my 35+ years of riding I've never had a speed-o-meter read accurate. Maybe it will happen in my lifetime but I'm not holding my breath. It has just been an accepted fact of riding. :?
I like to think the reason is blamed on the Hells Angels :twisted: and such (urban myth?) and the crack down on bikers when the "biker gangs" rose to prominence in the 60's. Bikers were watched by law enforcement much more closely during that time for sure. :roll: Right or wrong it kinda romanticizes it for me anyways. :wink: So all you Hoodlum Scooterist's out there go ahead and ride at 5-10% over the indicated speed and feel the outlaw in you take over! :thumbup:
Ride Safe and Have Fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, so I am assuming that if the speedo is off by 10 percent that that means the ODO will show aprox 10 percent more miles than actual also?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nope. Most people find the odometer to be almost smack on.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
jademerch said:
OK, so I am assuming that if the speedo is off by 10 percent that that means the ODO will show aprox 10 percent more miles than actual also?
No, they obtain their measurements via different sources. what has been seen is that if something is done to twiddle with the speedo error (healer, car tire, etc) the odometer then becomes inaccurate. Tit for tat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts