Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, nice to chat with you guys.
I am wondering what is the top speed of a 650 burgman compare to a 400 burgman? Please enlighten me.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
welcome,

Best guess, varies with accessories, and loading.

400: 90-95 mph indicated, spedo reads 4-6% high

650: 95-115 mph indicated, speedo reads about 10% high

I personally never did top my 650 out, had it to 97 with more to go.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I did some tests this past year to try to determine the effect of accessories on mileage and speed of my 650.

With stock windshield, and no top box - 115 mph.
With stock windshield plus Givi E52 top box - 108 mph.
With Clearview XXL windscreen, I could not hit 100 mph.

It was clear that oversized windscreens have an effect on top speed (and mileage). The big top box did reduce top speed, but did not have much effect on mileage.

I currently run a LG Clearview windscreen and the Givi E52 top box. I can hit 107 mph and mileage is in the high forties. This is a much more efficient setup than with the XXL Clearview, but not as efficient as the stock configuration. It is the best tradeoff I've come up with between wind protection and performance.

So... Top speed on either the 400 or the 650 will be affected if you add a larger windscreen or additional luggage capacity - and many of us do that. But configured the same, the 650 has about a 20 mph edge over the 400 in top speed.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm close to 200 lbs, my friend is around 140, add clothing and you're looking at around 350 lbs load in addition to a TourMaster II luggage bag (pretty large) on the back, a Saeng WingTip (slightly higher drag effect on the windscreen), full tank of gas, etc. With that, riding 2-up, I had it up to 105 mph (indicated) and there was still plenty more to go. This was on flat ground. With another friend at around 155 lbs and myself, I had it up to around the same speed (105 mph) on the freeway with a slight incline (very slight incline but not level either) with more speed available.
I don't really know what the top speed is, I'm not all that comfortable with 3-digit speeds, but this should give you some indication.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heck I have a 805cc motorcycle and I'm not even comfortable on that going over 80...

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've taken an AN650 out to the Barry Goldwater gunnery range
desert and have had it cranked up to 102mph.

It could have done more but I was thrown off by the 650's stabile
performance at 102 and couldn't go any higher out of fear of something flying
apart with me doing body tumbles into a cactus, helmet or no helmet.

---

My AN400K3 has 2300 miles on it and I'll trust it to go 85mph to briefly pass
a car on the interstate but both engine/drivetrain are spinning very fast and the
gas consumption goes below 49mpg at high speeds.
It seems to be at home doing under 65mph on two-lane roads.
But that's where I want to be nowadays and I also get to stop and smell the roses more often.

---

If I ride slowly enough between Fallon and Eureka Nevada, I can make out the
original pony express horse path that crosses the highway then climbs through
a barren mountain pass off into the distance.
Now... Where's my harmonica?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I can tell you the rpm limiter is at 118mph, I know this as I have done it. The bike start to miss and buck at that speed and does not climb anymore.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
burg650 said:
I can tell you the rpm limiter is at 118mph, I know this as I have done it. The bike start to miss and buck at that speed and does not climb anymore.
It's not actually an RPM limiter, it's just that the bike runs out of horses and can't go any faster.

If you put it in Power Mode you'll get more RPM, but you won't go any faster (in fact, you'll go slower as in Power Mode you will hit redline).

I'm 6'5" and 230 pounds, and I've had my 650 up to 112MPH indicated more than once. Less than 8000RPM, but wouldn't go any faster.

As mentioned, 112 indicated is about 100 - 101 actual. Fast enough for any legal driving in the USA.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It's funny how everyone can get up to the same speed on the 650 no matter how big the rider is. I've had mine maxed out at the same speed as you folks 181 kilometer = 112.4681858 mile. Now my bike climbs to this speed fairly effortlessly and then just stops accellerating with at least 1000 rpms left before redline. It is my belief that Suzuki have these machines governed to a maximum speed. I've looked at the schematics but I'm no eletrician. Besides theres so many chips in there that could be programed.
Like I said my machine climbs strongly to this point and then goes into cruise mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats pretty fast.... but regarding the 3 type of speed transmittion wise, how does it works?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard there are a normal mode, the power mode and the manual mode, how does it works and at what situation can each be properly used?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
GMJ04 said:
Heck I have a 805cc motorcycle and I'm not even comfortable on that going over 80...
at 85 and 90 it's a better ride. :wink: but not like I ride like that all the time.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
I use Normal Mode 99% of the time. It typically keeps the RPM around 4,000 RPM in cruse shifting at about 4,500. On heaver acceleration it shifts between 5,000 & 6,000 RPM.

Power mode cruses at about 5,000 RPM and on heaver acceleration it shifts between 6,500 and 8,000 RPM. usefull when keeping the RPM's up going into the twisties or passing.

Manual Mode is more of a "gimmic" and hardly used. It mimmics a manual transmission requiring you to shift up as you accelerate.

Bottom line, Normal Mode is sufficent for 99% of riding, Power mode when you feel a bit more aggressive. Very useful when passing. Either mode can be switched to on the fly, when riding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I want to remove the manual mode permenently, can I mod it?
I guess less people will want to use the manual mode.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes Kruzer, your thumb is reprogrammable to avoid the Manual button!

The Governing on both the 400 and 650 is determined by the Denso CVT Control Unit.
It senses engine rpm then it will limit injector demand for fuel
at its high limit (=>) number of rev's.

Who wants to be first to throw a rod by first installing a digital pulse divider chip at the CVT Engine Revolution sensor?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
It's funny how everyone can get up to the same speed on the 650 no matter how big the rider is. I've had mine maxed out at the same speed as you folks 181 kilometer = 112.4681858 mile.
Either here or on another forum I've heard of guys getting up to 115 indicated, and I think they were somewhat more "streamlined" than I am.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Kruzer said:
If I want to remove the manual mode permenently, can I mod it?
I guess less people will want to use the manual mode.
Why would you want to, or need to?

If you don't want manual mode, just don't push the buttons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts