Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i lost my speed\odometer yesterday morning. i did some searching here and saw that the sensor was prone to go out. I took the thing apart this morning and this is what i found. should i glue\epoxy it back together, or just get a new one?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would buy a new one. Epoxy gets soft when you heat it up and the sensor may come apart again and this time you'll have to deal with cleaning up epoxy goo.

Greg

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yours looks to be damaged to much to be able to glue it back together. When mine broke it was into just two parts. Yours looks to be in a bunch of little pieces that you would likely not be able to get back together straight.

Be sure to lube it with some grease when you put it back together. Occasionally taking it out, cleaning and relubing is a good idea too. I usually do that to my sensor every other oil change and when every I replace the front tire.

Inspect the seal and if it is damaged order a new one when you order the new rotor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
I ordered a new one yesterday, so it should be in later this week. I presume it's still safe to ride (using a gps for speedometer)?

·
Registered
735 Posts
While we're on the subject ... what causes these to fail? My girlfriend's 400K6 has about 3000 miles on it, and I'm thinking it's time to do something to the sensor to prevent it from failing. Thanks

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Bad Waxy Suzuki Grease is the cause!..and poor design with a weak seem on the part.
If you lube it regularly (with good grease) it reduces the chance of failing dramatically!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yes lacking lubrication is likely the primary cause. Mine originally broke at about 7,000 miles. I glued it back together and went to a regular schedule of cleaning and relubing it. The glued together part lasted to about 36,000 miles before it came apart at the glued joint. That time I just went ahead and purchased another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts