Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm thinking of installing some speakers on my Burgman 650 and connecting them to iPod. Anyone know how I could do that?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Search the knowledge base. This question has been asked many times.

For what it's worth, many utilize an in-helmet solution. The problem with external speakers is the sound quality once at speed. It's very difficult to hear them at just 60 mph, almost useless. With the number of helmet bluetooth devises on the market, being able to connect to phones, gps, FM radio, iPods, it makes a lot of sense. Plus no drilling, mounting, etc. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Personally, I prefer helmet speakers.
In one helmet I have IMC speakers,
in another helmet, I have Chatterbox
helmet speakers, & in another helmet,
I have Thumpers.
There is no problem hearing the surrounding
ambient sound. You can still hear horns,
sirens & loud exhausts....

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've seen many speaker installs on the 650 - I've yet to see one that I would be able to live with on my 650. A decent helmet speaker set would be my first choice. I'm still looking for a setup that I could justify cutting up the top box for. Maybe there's a mono radio in my future - there isn't enough room for stereo speakers unless I mount something like a sound bar to it.

My last Harley had factory sound which I upgraded all four speakers - it was easily heard at speeds up to about 70. Past that and I settled for the sound of the motor and the whistling of the wind. The stock speakers were lightweight and very cheap Harman Kardon that sounded terrible. I put Infinity in the front and Polk marine speakers in the rear. The sound improvement was quite noticeable.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It is unfathomable to me why anyone would want to install a stereo on their scooter.
My guess would to listen to the radio or music. but that's just a guess. :)
Well, yeah... there IS that. :D

Actually, the real problem was pointed out by Liam: at speed, you just cannot hear them over the wind noise!

And this particular installation (clean though it is) puts the speakers in the space that will be occupied by the mirrors when they fold in. This can be problematic on an Exec with the power mirrors, or for anyone who has a need to swing them back. The upper glove boxes are probably the best place to put speakers if you absolutely insist on doing so. In-helmet speakers (or earphones) are a much more effective solution -- and can be remarkably inexpensive if you do it yourself.

How? Get a cheap set of headphones with wires that don't go through the headband, cut away the headband and velcro the headphone pieces into your helmet. Route the wires through under the helmet padding, gently tie off a loop of the wire around the chin-strap so the speakers don't get pulled out by the cord, and you're done. Add a headphone extension cord to reach the handlebars (or wherever) if needed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have wired speakers for my helmet to put music in my helmet. Looking for a set of Blue Tooth speakers for my helmet.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have wired speakers for my helmet to put music in my helmet. Looking for a set of Blue Tooth speakers for my helmet.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
If your speakers have a standard headphone jack, this is a relatively inexpensive ($40 or so) way to add Bluetooth:

Antec BXR-100
Review (They figure it's ok at the price point.)

Unfortunately, the microphone is in the receiver unit so talking into it doesn't work terribly well when it's clipped to the helmet chin strap (and impossible if you have it in your pocket). On the other hand, it will work with any headphones with a standard plug, so you can switch between in-helmet speakers and earbuds (depending on which is better suited to that day's riding.)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Follow-up on my previous post:

If your speakers have a standard headphone jack, this is a relatively inexpensive ($40 or so) way to add Bluetooth:

Antec BXR-100
Review (They figure it's ok at the price point.)
I've improved the installation (in an HJC IS-MAX BT modular helmet). See this post for details. I still need to refine a few details (sweat-proofing the receiver, for example), but it's 95% there.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It is unfathomable to me why anyone would want to install a stereo on their scooter.

That's the way I fell too , I like being alone on my bike enjoying the out doors without the chatter . When I'm out in my garage working on my bikes I like some Fleetwood Mac or some ZZ TOP etc , but that's the extent of it for me . All that said If I were to add some tunes on the bikes I would go with the helmet speakers . I really don't like hacking the bikes up and messing with the wiring unnecessarily .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
First your need one of these:

Then add this:

And walla......a 2.1 speaker system! :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you'd consider an in-helmet Bluetooth solution, I can't speak highly enough about the Sena SMH-10. I have tried various Scala products, as well as Chatterbox and a few others, and NONE came close to the ease-of-use, sound clarity and power of the Sena model. Besides music, I can make and receive phone calls with one press of a button and voice commands. With my face shield down, most people on the other end can't even tell I'm riding, even at highway speeds. The bike-to-bike intercom is simply amazing, and my wife and I are enjoying riding our respective bikes more than ever.

Overall, a fantastic product that is constantly being updated by the manufacturer - they actually LISTEN to their customers, and adopt new ideas into every firmware update.

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10/

·
Registered
31 Posts
As is DougInKY, I, too, am looking for a Bluetooth set. I have my first full face helmet and want to connect it to my smartphone - more for (emergency) cell usage, than music. If it's Bluetooth, I don't have to worry about wires. ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts