Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a better way of installing a set of plugs on Burg-650
or any tips to pass on ? It would be a big help.
Frank :oops:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Better than what?

I think (but I don't do my own service, so don't rely to much on this) that you can remove the radiator bolts on one side and move the radiator aside to get at the plugs without disassembling too much of the bodywork.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just did mine this afternoon for the first time (12,000 km). Thought it was going to be a bear of a job, but thankfully it wasn't.

I used a 5/8" spark plug socket (use it for my Ford). To that I attached a 3" extension (3/8") bar, then a 3/8' universal joint. This combination worked great because the spark plug is recessed so deep into the valve cover (once the plug was loosened, I could turn the u-joint with my fingers until the plug was totally screwed out - also used this method to put them in).

Then I added a 10" & a 6" extension bar to the universal joint so that the 3/8" ratchet would be outside of the expensive tupperware. :)

I thought that the furthest plug would be the hardest, but using this setup it came out easy and went in easy. Before putting the new plugs in, I gave the threads a light coating of anti-seize compound (I always do that on spark plugs and wheel nuts on the car). I torqued the spark plugs with a 3/8" torque wrench to 8 ft lbs.

Before installing the spark plug boots back on, I used a q-tip with dielectric grease to lubricate inside the boots (I always do this on my cars also). It makes the boots slide on easier and keeps moisture away from the spark plug terminal (next time I will also put some on the outside of the boot, so that it slides in easier into the valve cover).

Now that I know what I'm doing, the next spark plug change will be a snap.

I know - I should have taken pictures! 8)

·
Registered
187 Posts
mate it,s not that hard just move the radiator to one side but it is hard to get the plug covers off but pull and pull ,the trick is to use the spanner that comes in the tool kit it was meant for the plug removal ,but wet the inside of the plug covers with heaps of spit and make sure they go all the way home ,.tj :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brewman said:
Good suggestion on the silicon dilectric grease.
Which is the technical term for spit! :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:wink: Thank you one and all for the good info, I will give it a shot soon.
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts