Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do some Maintenance on my Burgman 650, First, which Spark Plug for the best performance? I think I am just going with the oil the service manual recommends and filters, unless y'all have a better recommendation.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Standard plugs give best performance - I get 50,000+ miles out of mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OEM Plugs, which ones are those? and the GAP?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Read the bloody owner's manual - I can't be bothered going out to the garage to get mine. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lmao ok Garry, just making conversation! Have we had our bloody java yet?

·
Registered
735 Posts
NGK Iridium

I run NGK Iridium plugs in all of my vehicles. They made a noticeable difference in the 650 especially under 3000RPM when running on s**t gasohol (I try to buy pure gasoline but can't always make it to that station). The 650 uses CR8EIX.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had a Manual, the guy I bought the Burg from said he thought the kid mis-placed it somewhere

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
There's no one 'best; plug. I prefer Iridium plugs (NGK) as well - though not because of any perceived 'performance' boost (there really isn't one) but because of the run-time between changes. You don't have to pull them out as often to change. You won't get noticeably better economy or performance.

Also, if you don't want to pay $12 or $15 or more per plug, then get them off Amazon.

I have Iridium plugs in all my vehicles (04 Envoy, 90 Isuzu pickup, 06 Burgman 650, but the Genesis comes standard with them).

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
All that I have run in my 650 is the OEM NGK CR8E. I change them when I check the valves every 20,000 to 25,000 miles. Not because they have ever really needed changing but since I have to pull the valve cover to get to the valves I might as well change the plugs.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would never have noticed the improvement I got with the NGK Iridium plugs if I rode my 650 in automatic mode where the engine is always around 3000 RPM. But I like manual mode to keep the revs down and when in "high gear," mildly accelerating with the engine in the low-mid 2000s, it missed noticeably with the original NGK plugs when I had a tank of gasohol s**t in it. It missed less on pure gasoline but it was still there. Now there is no miss whatsoever on either fuel. The bike is new to me ('04 model, now 18k miles on it) so I don't know if the CR8E plugs were original or not, but they looked normal and the gap was correct. My gas mileage went up also, but that could be for other reasons. YMMV. Bought them at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $7.99 each.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I replaced the stock plugs at 12K miles, with new stock plugs, it really woke up my bike.

Old plugs looked fine, but better performance told the whole story.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can buy wix oil filters form O"Reilys. I get my Moble One cycle oil there too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have to tell you all, the plugs were an absolute freaking bit&[email protected]^ to do, The engine oil easy, the transmission easy, the final drive drain plugs OMG, they were like welded in. I bought this bike from a man down in Southern Indiana and he told me that it had been service 2 years prior to me buying it and that it had been sitting in the garage those two years, BS, this bike had never been service etal, original oil filter, original oil all the way back and nasty as **** when it came out. The plugs were burnt up, I have no idea how the bike was still running. Pics of plugs in my gallery.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Do NOT clean a platinum or iridium plug. You will ruin it - or basically render its platinum/iridum long life capability useless.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The spark plugs were easier than I expected actually, the only things I did differently from LeDude's video were to remove the front fender and to remove the coolant overflow tank and move it and the hose out of the way. I did my plugs when the engine was still pretty warm and I didn't want to open the cooling system by disconnecting the overflow hose (didn't want it to suck in air as things cooled down). I think it was easier to move the tank than to disconnect the overflow hose from the radiator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts