Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of last year I bought a 2016 Burgman 650 Exec with 31K miles and have been getting it ready for the summer. My last task was to replace the spark plugs. The plugs that I removed were in horrible shape. I cleaned everything up and installed the new NGK plugs. However, I could not reinstall the ignition coils....they just would not go in far enough to seat properly. Finally, out of frustration, I pulled the new spark plugs out to see if I could determine the problem by re-seating the new spark plugs onto the ignition coils at my workbench. However, the new spark plugs now had "caps" on them like car spark plugs. I unscrewed the caps and tried to re-install the new plugs into the ignition coils but I could only do so if I screwed them in....I could not simply push the plugs on. Any thoughts as to where the caps came from or why the ignition coils are so tight threaded that I cannot push onto the spark plug posts?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Maybe by trying to push them on initially before you unscrewed the terminal nut, you somehow crimped or deformed the metal in the cap ? After you screwed it on could you then pull it straight off and push it back on?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
For the Burgman 650, the plugs should not have the screw on caps. They must be removed. Like G-Dub said above, try popping the coil on off the bike...

The coil slides on to the screw threads and it is hard to get them on. This is why a lot of members have had the right side (left as you are looking down at them) pop off and the engine runs rough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the Burgman 650, the plugs should not have the screw on caps. They must be removed. Like G-Dub said above, try popping the coil on off the bike...

The coil slides on to the screw threads and it is hard to get them on. This is why a lot of members have had the right side (left as you are looking down at them) pop off and the engine runs rough.
The mystery is how did the spark plug caps fit into the ignition coils without damaging the coils. It's almost seems like the former owner used a hammer. Fortunately the ignition coils are not damaged and I can install my new plugs after unscrewing the mystery caps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts