Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the spark plug in my '08 400. It took me over twice as long to do (1 hour) than it should have, so thought I'd post the cause here to save others from making the same mistake I made.

I replaced the plug easily. Well, fairly easily. The issue arose when I went to put the plug wire back on the spark plug. It wouldn't go!

Luckily, I looked at the removed plug for some reason and noticed that it did NOT have the screw-on "nut" on the top!!! I remembered that the new one had one on it and I hadn't removed it!

Then the real fun began! I was having trouble "seating" the wrench on the newly-installed plug. To make a long story shorter, I finally looked down into the hole and saw that I had screwed the "nut" off the new plug and it was standing up on the bottom of the "tunnel." I was able to retrieve it and complete the job.

I bought this Burgie with 5k miles; now at 10k. The removed plug (Denso, not NGK) looked to be in very good shape and would not have needed to be replaced. But since I had bought the new one and had gone to the work to do it, I replaced it.

My guess is that the plug had either about 5k miles or 10k miles. How many do you usually get on a plug?

I replaced it with an NGK CR7EIX (Iridium). How many miles might I expect out of that plug?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad you found the thing!

I got 70k out of my last set of plugs. The spark gap piece was paper-thin; probably shouldn't have waited quite that long.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I did mine around 36k on the 400. Still looked good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did the same thing and replaced both plugs on my 2013 650 Burg. I replaced them with the NGK Iridium plugs. I am hearing that they should last 50K+ for me to change them again.

I have noticed a quicker start with these also.

Ross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts