Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Websites offering spare keys list model years up to 2009. Since the 12s have the same shutter, I assume they are also equipped with magnets instead of computer chips. Can anyone advise if an 09 key is the same as a 12?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2009 version key does not have a "chip" in it. So I just went down to a local locksmith and had a spare key make. I never use the shutter, so I did not care if that part was missing on the spare.

Does the 2012 version key have a "chip"? If so, then the 2009 or earlier keys would not be compatible.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
As far as I know none of the USA spec Burgmans use a chip in the keys.

The OEM fiche list the same part number for the lockset on the 2012 as it does for the 2009, 37120-10863 . Since the lockset includes new keys that means the keys are the same so if the key blanks work on an 09 they will work on a 2012.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
What I can say is I got my spares off E-bay, which came as blanks with a magnet kit that I coded myself.

Key place at a local flea market copied the cuts. One for the 2011, one for the 2012. No problems.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My 2013 bug 650 uses a standard key with a plastic part for the shutter. I never use the shutter so just go to ACE hardware and make a new key.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Burgmanmaniac the shutter can be closed without a key, like with a popsicle stick. If some @ss hole closes your shutter when you are not looking and you don't have the proper key with you you're stuck. If you use an aftermarket key without the shutter key you should keep a proper key in your top box, hidden somewhere on the scooter or in your pocket.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Burgmanmaniac the shutter can be closed without a key, like with a popsicle stick. If some @ss hole closes your shutter when you are not looking and you don't have the proper key with you you're stuck. If you use an aftermarket key without the shutter key you should keep a proper key in your top box, hidden somewhere on the scooter or in your pocket.
You must ride in some tough neighborhoods. I have no need for a gas cap lock, a shutter or any of that stuff. It's Harley Davidson Central here in Daytona and the thieves don't even give my Burg a second look.

For example, a panhandler approached 2 old Harleys at a gas station. He was asking for a few dollars. The Harley guys told him to F...off. The panhandler never even approached my burg 650. Scooters simply don't command any respect in these parts. That said, I love my 650 and I ride for me.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I ride in whatever neighborhood I happen to come across. But jerks or ornery kids can be found anywhere. Like I said if someone closes it you're stuck. If you feel that no one will ever mess with your bike then don't bother. Myself I would think of it like a helmet, safety gear or even a patch kit, something I hope I never need but I'd have it if I ever needed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts