Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom and a "new" leftover 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125. That Zuma made me fall in love with scooters. I'm 48 years-old and I have been riding for 35 years but I had never ridden a scooter before getting the Zuma 125.

Last month, I bought a blue 2009 Tmax. It had 1600 easy miles and a Yamaha warranty that is good until March 2017. The guy who had bought it new back in March decided he wanted a big touring bike and not a sports scooter so he sold it back to the Yamaha dealer. My wife and I rode it and we bought it on the spot. I'm only 5'5" tall and that high and wide Tmax seat is quite a stretch for me, but I manage. Here is a post I wrote about the Tmax's seat height.

http://majestyusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 8a349cfc6f

While I can MANAGE, I want to be COMFORTABLE balancing a maxi-scooter whenever my wife is aboard. HELLO 2012 BURGMAN 400!! I love the Burgman 400 and unlike the Tmax, I can stand up in the seat and plant both feet solidly on the ground whenever my wife climbs on or off. We would have bought one last Friday, but the state of Alabama hasn't got the title work done yet so I can't trade in the Tmax. Hopefully, they get it completed this week!

We plan on getting a 2012 Burgman 400 ABS in Thunder Gray. I love that color! Factor in the sale price of the Burgman, $6600 plus fees and taxes and the 2.9 percent APR on the loan, and my wife and I are quite happy. I will miss the power and the FANTASTIC handling of the Tmax, but my wife likes the Burgman more than the Tmax and I do love its 28" seat height, almost 4" lower than the Tmax, I took a 2009 Burgman 400 with 4000 miles on it for a test ride and I loved it. I assume the 2012 with ABS will be even better. I think my wife and I have found our perfect two wheeler in the Burgman 400! By next summer, a 2012 Burgman 400 will be the only two wheeler in our garage. I don't want, or need, three of them. The V Star is covered and winterized and It will be sold next year when "Spring Motorcycle Fever" is in the air. I've been searching for the "perfect ride" and now I've found it! ****, I think the Burgman 400 is one beautiful machine....and it fits me!

I'll update this post later in the week.

Ninja 250R SE. This is what I owned before I got the V Star 650 Custom.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your new sccot! I too liked the TMAX but it was a stretch for my short legs, hence the '05 400. The 400 is a great scoot!
Ride safe and enjoy! :thumbup:
Wes

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Welcome aboard from sunny Puget Sound! :toothy2:

FWIW, the only reason I'd take the 2012 over the 2009 400, is the ABS...if that's important to you. Otherwise, they are the same bike.

Like you, I fell in love with the Burgman 400, first with a 2007 and then 3 years later, a 2008. I love the svelte looks of the 400, and in the 2007's blue, I fell in love with it. 49,000 miles later, I sold it and bought a black 2008. There wasn't a thing wrong with the 2007 in all those miles but normal wear and tear. The only reason I sold it, was that I spotted probably the last of the "left over" 2008s in April 2011 for only a few hundred more than I could sell my 2007 for...and thousands less than a new one. I kept asking myself if I was crazy to be selling a perfectly good bike that I loved...and then buying another of exactly the same thing...but I did it.

When my youngest daughter got on my 400, she actually squealed with delight. :lol: She loved that seat and the riding position. I'm sure your wife will too. :)

Again, welcome to BUSA!

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"FWIW, the only reason I'd take the 2012 over the 2009 400, is the ABS...if that's important to you. Otherwise, they are the same bike."

Now that I finally found the two wheeler that both my wife and I can agree on I want to buy a brand new one and just get it over with. The price difference between the used 2009 and the new 2012 is not really that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm willing to pay more $$ to be, as they say, the first "ass on the seat". That's not Dave Ramsey smart money management, but on some items, motorcycles and scooters for example, my wife and I are like like, "What the heck, lets do what we want to do!"

To be honest, we'll probably never sell the Zuma 125. On a hot summer Alabama afternoon it's a whole lot of fun to ride around town. From around 25 to 50 mph, it's the perfect "around town" scooter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife and I are picking up our brand new 2012 Burgman 400 tomorrow afternoon!!!!!!!! I love the gray, but we decided to go with the pearl white instead. The gray paint is beautiful, but it looks like it would blend in too well with all of the dark asphalt around here. The white looks darn nice too!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Cool! Show us pics when you get a chance. Also, consider adding your location to your profile, so it will show with all your posts. Welcome to the forum from barely outside Alabama. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impressions after 25 miles:

Tire inflation, as many have stated, is a pain in the ass!!! I have several nice bicycle pumps and NONE of them will fit in the space that's available. I also went to several gas stations and no luck there either. I'm gonna find a 90 degree chuck to use when I put air in the tires. BTW, my Yamaha V Star 650 Custom has a 90 degree angled valve stem on the rear wheel. My Zuma 125 has 90 degree angled valve stems too. Why the hell does the Burgman NOT have them? Does the Burgman 650 have them?
It does have that "scooter feel"....but that's not a bad feeling at all. On the Tmax however, It always felt like I was on an automatic sports bike, not a scooter. I rode it like a sports bike too and if I had kept it much longer, I'm sure that I would have gotten some tickets. Man, does the Tmax handle great...better than many motorcycles I have ridden. It's was too **** easy to go 75 MPH plus on curvy 40 MPH Alabama backroads. The Burgman handles fine too, but I won't have that "Tmax Temptation" to push it to the limit. If I had a new 600cc sports bike, I would really get into some trouble! I find it wise to avoid getting one of those like the plague. My lower back would be toast after a day on one of those.
The ergonomics are MUCH more comfortable for my 5'5" frame than the Tmax. No more straining to reach the ground as on the Tmax.
The cut outs on the floor boards are really nice. The Yamaha Majesty should have these too.
My wife is a lot more comfortable on this than the Tmax...she likes the passenger floorboards. She has a great view forward on the Burgman. With its stepped seat and the fact that she is 3" taller than me she can see right over my helmet.
The build quality really seems good and the pearl white paint looks fantastic in the sunlight.
On the Tmax, I could not ride by most teen guys and have them not stare at it because I guess that 99 percent of them had never seen a Tmax before and their look was like, "****, that's cool.....what the hell is that thing?!" Older people never seemed to even notice it.
On the Burgman however, it seems to be the opposite. On the way home from the dealership this afternoon I rode by the high school that's next to my house and no one seemed to even notice me riding by. Also, no 16 year-old kid in a Mustang or a "riced-up" Honda tried to race me. I like the fact that they ignore the Burgman!! However, I did notice a LOT of middle age and older people staring at the Burgman. One guy in a beautiful white S-Class Benz followed me for a few miles and he was really checking it out. I have to admit, that white S-Class and my white Burgman would look great together parked in a garage.
Those are a few of my impressions after putting a total of 25 miles on the Burgman today. The weather is going to be nice this weekend, so my wife and I are gonna' put some break-in miles on it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wldbill said:
Are you trading the TMax?
Yes, I traded it in on the Tmax. (Cycles Unlimited in Decatur, Alabama)

If you or someone you know is looking for a Txax, a nicer example will be very hard to find. It has 2600 miles on it and it has a Yamaha factory warranty until March 3, 2017. It is a FANTASTIC machine, but the seat is just too **** tall and wide for me to feel comfortable on it when I have my wife on back. After a day of riding with my wife as a passenger, my lower back would be KILLING me because of the way I had to "twist" my torso so that I could plant my left foot. I'm almost 50, so to hell with that! If The Burgman 400 is perfect for my needs as far as a two-wheelers goes.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride, may you have many happy miles on board.

As far as tire inflation goes, I have a 19.2V tire inflator from Sears, which works with their C3 system of tools, and I love it. The only issue I have is locating the valves, once i've found them, top up and checks are no problem, set it to the desired pressure (I've found it overreads by 2psi), then turn it on and let it do it's thing until it stops. With the small head profile and 90 degree hose angle, there's no issue conecting or removing. This holds true for both my 400, and my 650.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Welcome to BUSA and CONGRATS on the new ride, it looks great with the blacked out wheels and CVT cover kinda gives it a meaner look. Good luck. :thumbup:

BTW the 650 does have an angled valve stem on the back wheel only why they didn't put it on the front wheel is beyond me. If you are going to change out the valve stems on your 400 be careful which ones you choose there have been reports of some types of angled valve stems failing. There are some comprehensive threads on the topic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I bought a cheap bicycle tire pump at Walmart that has a very small head and it fits a lot better on the valve stem than the more expensive bicycle pumps I already have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
400 Burgman from Alabama

I had a whole lot of bikes in my 65 years. From dirt bikes to Goldwings. Have had the 2006 Burgman for about 6 months now and like it better than any bike I ever owned. I also have lived in Monroeville and Centreville. A passenger is a lot of strain for my old frame because of the height of the rear seat so I go solo a lot. Whats really cool is I can get an 18 pack of Natty Lite under the seat. Love the White Burgmans BUT! I would have got dark white. Have fun, Slowlane, Gulf Breeze

1 - 14 of 14 Posts