Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone in UK, who has experience of purchasing fork springs from Sonic Springs in the US for delivery to the UK after Jan 1st 2021, and specifically whether there were any charges levied for VAT or other, and including Handling Charges by the UK handler (who I believe would have been Parcel Force).

I'd like to order a set but................all the info I can gather at this end indicates that VAT and a handling charges should be levied on the total consignment cost but not any customs duty if the cost is below £135.

But we all know that with governments the practice can differ from the written word..................

So if you have any relevant experience, what was it?

Mike

·
Registered
678 Posts
I bought from EU, NO VAT Charged at time, would have expected it. Some you win.
Mate bought a Guzzi Speedo drive from US, again no charges. (which is just as well 'cos he had to return it. they sent a Triumph one)
No charges when correct replacements arrived.
.....But just rang him to confirm, and that bit's correct, but carriage charge was HORRENDOUS.

Looking for anyone in UK, who has experience of purchasing fork springs from Sonic Springs in the US
Is your heart set on these?
I had great satisfaction with Hyper Pro Progressives on the V-Strom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not yet sure but sonics certainly an option for me. I bought my YSS (new) shocks, yet to be fitted, from Spain so very flexible on sourcing if cost works.
I might even look at the GL1100/1200 spring route ilo spacers route too. Time to find something that works for me.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
I'm not yet sure but sonics certainly an option for me. I bought my YSS (new) shocks, yet to be fitted, from Spain so very flexible on sourcing if cost works.
I might even look at the GL1100/1200 spring route ilo spacers route too. Time to find something that works for me.
Mike
When Dave_J was doing his B650 fork rebuild we stumbled upon some cartridges that looked affordable from Italy that are made near where member Parduz lives.

Dave_J has mentioned the GoldWing method before.

If you have the phone number for Sonic Springs I can call em and see if they know VATS and Tariffs for UK.

I think Dave_J said there is no extra charges for used parts …. maybe Sonic has some returns that would qualify as used ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In truth I have been in contact with sonic and they have been very helpful. I did not explore used parts opportunity. They are unaware of any sales into UK this year that have resulted in added cost for buyers. But knowing our governmental agencies they take time to get up to speed. So considering the risks still of Sonics. Thanks for offer to contact them but would not want them troubled again.

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
Goldwing 1100 springs are 38mm, GL1200 are 41mm.

So the GL1200 are same diameter but much longer than Burgman 650's.

If I had the funds back when I redid my last front forks with the Goldwing added on springs, I would have just gotten 1 step heaver "Progressive" or other aftermarket spring for the 650.

My fork rebuild got put on hold due to family issues. Google maps route says I have driven 7,200 miles since August 2021. Two cross country flights too. Almost none of them on the Burgman.
Around the world and nothing to show for it....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave J......not sure your post best news for me, as was seriously considing a set of goldwing springs, either full length ilo oem spring & space or just replacing spacer. Seemed a smart idea. Why would you now do otherwise?
I bought my Burg unseen, and will only use for odd days out with swmbo in late spring to autumn. I am changing the 26k rears with YSS shocks ex Spain and really looking for cheap front end improvement. I have looked at Ali Express preload adjusters, used before with success, but no package room in Burg. Other than that it's Sonics or Hagon I think.
Reading back you seemed pleased with goldwing spring approach......why the reconsideration??
Mike

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
Mike, If you can find a set of Goldwing springs in 41mm they will be an improvement. I think they were 1 inch longer than the Burgman 650's. You can leave it longer but getting the top cap on with that much preload I'd maybe cut the steel spacer down.

The Progressive brand springs I am looking at are even heaver rate than the GL1200 so they will also work.

I had replaced my rear shock and spring with 2 steps heaver Progressive springs for a great improvement. That is when I found the stock fronts needed a lot of help so I removed the steel spacer above the spring and added a section of cut down GL1100 that was 1/4 inch longer than the steel spacer. But with them being 38mm that are a bit loose side to side so I cut the steel spacer down to 1/2 its length and the GL1100 spring fits inside. I wish I had a picture of the steel spacer mod.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also a bit confused on spring diameters. If GL1200 springs are 41mm diameter surely they don't fit a Burg whose inner tubes are 41mm? Or are spring diameter sizes quoted by the size of the tube they fit. What is the actual diameter of the Burg front springs, please, if anyone knows if top of their head. This is confusing stuff......... I was thinking I needed about 38mm real diameter springs.

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
Last I knew springs are sized for the fork tube size.

So I just went out to the Garage and measured my 2008's fork spring. It was 35.5mm but the forks outter tube diameter is 41mm

I also just measured the 1980 Goldwing GL1100 spring for the 38mm fork tube and it was 31.8mm

That said, I think a spring that measures at 36mm would fit inside the 41mm fork tube.

The GL1100 31.8 is loose in my fork.

Product Gas Auto part Musical instrument Wood

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave J, So I could use either GL1100 or 1200 from early eighties -- I know nowt about Goldwings,

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
I really think GL1100 are too small in diameter to use. They will try to bend in the center to fit the larger tube. The GL1200 and I think GL1500 are for 41mm fork tubes. Suzuki SV650 are also 41mm as are hundreds of other bikes.

On another note, Some say that the progressive wound spring is OK for plush riding and for racing to use a straight wound spring.
You can see in my picture above the stock Burgman is progressive. Almost all Goldwings are progressive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too many alternatives really Dave J, but appreciate the info. Likely, given that I normally lay up bike for winter, I'll delay until spring and see if some suitable springs pop up in meantime. I had thought replacing spacers with gw springs a good next step, now need to reflect on it.
Mike

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
Stock 2008 spring is 13 3/4 inch long. The steel spacer is another 7 1/2 inch long and I did not measure the washer that fits in between the two.

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Kitchen utensil Ruler Office ruler Wood Font Measuring instrument

Wood Gas Office supplies Font Metal Wood Office ruler Material property Font Gas

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
I did cut my steel spacer down in half to 3 3/4 inch. Then i put a 8 inch section of GL1100 spring inside so it stuck out like this picture below
Office supplies Gas Coil spring Cylinder Metal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm going to have to think on this one. When I started the thread I was set in my mind by going for the sonic springs. I mainly will use bike two up, for odd weekend jaunts, and sonic gave me a weight suggestion. The cost of springs is fine, even with 60 dollars to ship to UK, it's just the risk of getting charged an extra 20% UK VAT on importation that I have to decide whether to risk. Who knows, maybe someone on here will sell on a set while I'm deliberating.
Thanks to everyone for replies and suggestions.
I enjoyed the Fireblade forums I joined and participated in and this one is turning out to be a match in every way.
Stay safe,
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts