Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video was available but may have been yanked:

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/cruiser-cam-trooper-crash-involving-motorcycle/nZrKk/

Speaks for itself.

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
From the video you can see the tail lights and the headlights reflection. No audible so you don't know if the trooper was talking on his cell phone. Closing speed was quick too. Hummmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That's why some say that it's safest to ride faster than the flow of traffic.

If it had been a squid on a Hayabusa wawing through traffic doing 100 MPH +, the trooper would never have hit him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fortunately both riders on the bike survived! I had a close call with deputies in my area. Driving down Rt. 1 at normal speed, two deputies passed me on the left then veered into my lane and immediately stopped. Traffic over my left shoulder so I couldn't change lanes. Grabbed both brakes and squeezed tight, all the while bracing for the header I was sure I was about to take over the back of the deputy's cruiser. What a relief when 'Roland' (my '07 Burgman 650) came to a stop a good 1.5-2" from the rear bumper!

They were on the way to a stop in progress at a resturant, my guess is they assumed they'd have room to pull into the lot and realized at the last instant that they didn't, but ****'s bells, that scared the snot out of me -- AND the deputy I almost flew over, even though it was dark I know I could see the whites of his eyes in his rear view mirror!!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I must say the thing that worried me was when he reversed - I kept waiting for the kachunk ! as he reversed over the people. eek

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
wow, pretty bad crash, thoughts to their family. hope they get well soon. and i hope the trooper is no longer a trooper.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
That was bad!! Another reason I don't ride at night if I don't have to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is scary!

I would like to see what ends up as the reason he hit them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not my words, but some write that the motorcyclist is partly to blame, since he was going slow.
How are we to know the motorcycle is going too slow? It looked to me as if the Trooper was practicing distracted driving. Maybe on cell phone or texting? Law Enforcement are supposed to be professional drivers. What I saw on the video was not professional. I do hope that Trooper is driving a desk now, not on the highway were he presents a danger to the public.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Still trying to figure out how y'all got the link to work...
it hasn't worked for me since it was first posted.

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
A few things we do not know about this. The Vid does look like the trooper was not going too fast and the bike was going much slower. Doctored vid to make it look slower? If the bike was doing say 50 MPH, what was the troopers speed? On his way to work.

Yes the bike rider is a bit at fault, very small bit.... He should have been at least on the brake lights as soon as he seen a car coming from behind, just enough to wink the lights a few times. I do this all the time.

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
Click and highlight over the link then copy and paste in another tab. Thats how I did it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Check out the inside of a police car sometime. You'll see more gadgets than you could imagine. It's an absolute recipe for disaster. The distractions are immense. It's too bad that they don't do some study of what's really needed and how to integrate it in a nondistracting way. We've learned that with fighter planes. In some cases, there's an electronic pilot's assistant that only presents information as needed. In other cases another flyer in addition to the pilot runs most of the electronics. Too bad there's so much emphasis on solo patrolling. A second officer just might be needed so that the other one can focus on driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts