Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so for my house to work is 6.7 miles. Half that is interstate. And I weigh 170lbs. My tires are inflated correctly and I've been getting gas at shell religiously. My dash says I should be getting 48.5mpg. I filled up at 69433 a week ago. Today I'm at 69509 and I just hit my red E line. I know no one can really tell me what is wrong but I don't see any gas on the ground so I'm wondering what steps I can take to fix this or what to look for.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Does the bike sound loud? Like a popping sound? I've had bad exhaust gaskets in the past and the extra oxygen it induced, right where the efi sensor is located, programmed my engine to run rich. Horrible gas mileage with that situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It pops every time I ride now Like a backfire. I thought that was because I just changed my oil maybe I put a tad bit too much in. I don't know about loud. I have a full face so it's muffled. But I never noticed the pop previously.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just a guess, but the 07 exhaust gasket was changed for 08. It's a tad bit longer. The 07 gasket had a tendency of burning up. It's not horribly loud, but there is a definite popping sound with the rev of the engine. Perhaps you should put it on the center stand, start it up and put your ear close to the muffler / exhaust pipe junction.

The fix is to replace it with the 08 gasket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you elaborate on that. I don't know what part that is or where to find it or the difficulty. I've seen it in other post but just them mention of doing it nothing further.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No, it's not those. In this illustration it is listed as the muffler connector, #2.

View attachment 22513

It is a small tube-like gasket that goes where the exhaust pipe and the muffler connect. Look on the right side of the bike, follow the muffler to about mid-bike. You will see where it connects to the exhaust pipe. Listen at that connector, if there is a popping sound emanating from it or you feel exhaust seeping from it, your gasket is bad, burnt or just gone, they burn up that bad.

The problem is the fuel injection O2 sensor is right there also (looks like a small spark plug going into the side of the pipe). As it was described to me, the extra O2 introduced at that juncture from the bad muffler connector, tricks the EFI to think it is running cold, so it enriches the mixture, thus bad gas mileage.

This is all just a guess based on my experience. I had several 07 muffler connectors just burn up, usually after a hard run. A small leak would develop, and then its just a matter of time. They burnt up so completely my tire guy didn't even see the remnants of the previous one. He mounted it back with no gasket thinking it didn't use one.

But it's a cheap fix. The connector runs $18 at my local shop. Be sure to get the 08 or later one, otherwise you will be replacing it again in a few months.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm glad for this thread. I don't think I have one. I took the back wheel off to have it replaced and when I put the pipes back together, I don't remember seeing it.
Gotta go check ...NOW!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm glad for this thread. I don't think I have one. I took the back wheel off to have it replaced and when I put the pipes back together, I don't remember seeing it.
Gotta go check ...NOW!
Whenever you remove the muffler on the 400, like replacing the tire, its a good idea to replace the connector / gasket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the part on bike bandit so I'm just gonna order it regardless. Hopefully it works. I called local shops and they all said that they can't order just that piece alone. So I'll just have to suffer until the part comes in and hope it works. I'll update when I'm done. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm good. I checked it with the motor running and felt no exhaust or heard no sound. I guess it was stuck to one or the other pipes so I didn't notice it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not off to a great start

So here is a picture of my old spark plug and new. The new one which I read on here somewhere is suppose to fit. But it isn't. I screw in the new one and then the connector top but it won't go on. It seems obvious to me that I bought the wrong one or in doing something wrong. What do you guys say?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
The plug is correct you Just have to unscrew the tip on the end of the plug it is there to fit different applications just unscrew it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Success!!!

So air filter changed. Spark plug changed. And the muffler connector installed. The frill part was not on the bike at all I found it laying on some of the body frame. But man I gotta say it feels good to do it on my own. Funniest thing is it took me longer to change the spark plug than to install the connector. Thank you guys for your help. I sincerely thank you Liamjs. As soon as I put that piece on there was a dramatic reduction in sound. You knew exactly what the problem was. Let's just hope I see a change in my gas mileage now. Have a great weekend!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I have only had Muffler off once (2011 model). I was not aware of any gasket (Part 32) mentioend above,

Maybe, I missed something.

However, operation seems normal last 2000 miles siince installing car tire. I have 8000 miles total.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't recommend it, but I welded mine up as a one piece, ( make sure everything is bolted down tight before you make your first tack, then remove the complete assembly for the final weld)...I take the muffler off at manifold, be EZ on those threads. Dark siding will be the way to go to slow down the amount of times the muffler has to be removed.

I read a thread somewhere that said: the rear wheel can be removed without taking off the muffler, to your discomfort I'm sure! Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts