Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that Burgman owners seem to fall in one of two camps here (with a few outliers).

1. There are a bunch of older riders who have lots of miles under our belts who have come to the Burgman due to health problems. I fall into this group.

2. There are another group of riders who have picked the Burgman as their first motorcycle. Now most of these riders seem to be outside of the USA where scooters don't have the stigma that they have here in the USA BUT recently I am seeing people here in the USA coming to the Burgman for their first ride. I am hopeful that this indicates that (at least the big) scooters have become more accepted here. The surprising part of this to me is that the Burgman is not noted for being exactly a cheap motorcycle/scooter to buy or repair after that first drop.

Just some observations I have made... I could be totally wrong (as I often am).

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm an outlier. I had sold my 6th bike, a 1997 Valkyrie all chromed out. I had it for 8 years and all the billet chrome was just starting to spider crack and pit, so I sold it. while it still looked very good.

I missed riding several mounts later, and did a lot of research on the web and the this forum and decided to pick up a 2012 650 exec. I love riding the burgman. Im in good health at 52 years old and could ride anything, but I don't see any reason to choose anything else right now. I'm so used to not shifting anymore and I'm spoiled by my burgs great handling. my burgman smile is going strong

·
Registered
297 Posts
Group #3 - Those who have ridden various kinds/sizes of motorcycles, but when it was time to get a new one, researched all the options and found that the maxi-scooter genre (Burgman 650, Silverwing, etc.) presented a great "middle ground" between a daily commuter and a long-distance tourer. I fit in this group.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess I fall more into Renegade1978's group #3. I've ridden all my life, dirt & street, and I've lost count of how many motorcycles I've owned. I currently enjoy several different motorcycles, but I choose the Burgman for everyday type riding. I like the fact that it's comfortable, smooth, good two-up, and easy to ride.

I'm almost 59 and in good physical shape. Hopefully, I can continue to ride for many more years and enjoy the "big scoot's."

·
Registered
511 Posts
Group #3 - Those who have ridden various kinds/sizes of motorcycles, but when it was time to get a new one, researched all the options and found that the maxi-scooter genre (Burgman 650, Silverwing, etc.) presented a great "middle ground" between a daily commuter and a long-distance tourer. I fit in this group.

What he said....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Group 2 but from USA. I don't really want to shift. I just want to turn the throttle and go. I had a moped as a kid and missed it ever since I sold it.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I purchased due to under seat storage and protective fairing to ride in wet weather conditions. At 44 this is now my commuter and I traded in my a 04 Shadow Spirit 1100. I have owned too many bikes (both dirt and street and scooters) to count/list in my signature, but will at some point again pick up a 1800 Golding when cash permits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess I am in group 1 1/2. I'm 68 but in good health. I had a 400 K8 several years ago, but sold it to go back to bigger bikes. Bought a 2010 Victory Kingpin which I loved and then traded for a new 2012 Victor X-Country. Now I find I rarely have the opportunity to travel long-distance and the big bikes are too dang hot and too much work for in-town riding, so I bought another 400 2 months ago and the Vic is up for sale. Like all Burg owners, I love being back on the big scoots. May move on to the 650 one day, but I really love the 400 for my around town jaunts ! Love the ABS, just wish it had factory tunes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I started out on a scooter back in 1952 and followed that scooter with 2 Cushman Eagles. Next was a Yamaha 750 for several years then no 2 wheels for about 20 years. Got the urge again bought a Kawasaki 500, needed something bigger so went to a Honda VTX 1300. Rode a neighbors Burgman 650 and I was hooked. Bought a 2004 Burgman 650 and ended up trading it in on the present 2102 650. Been ridding for 60 years and have to admit I wont be ridding anything else except the Burgman 650, absolutely love it compared to all the other rides I have owned. Maybe that's another class altogether.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would be a group #4 Started on a smaller scoot and moved up. I currently own and ride a Yamaha Zuma 50cc but am buying a friend's Burgman 400.

I do think that the scooter stigma in the USA is waning, in some areas especially. I believe there are several factors. The first is the influx of scoots after gas prices went ballistic. Lots of people who would never ride a motorcycle bought a scoot as a second ride to save some gas{I bought my Zuma used from a guy in that group}. The second is bigger and better scooters have shown that scoots are more than adequate for American use. This would include the Burgmans as well as other maxi-scooters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd put myself in category 4 also. I had acquired a little put-put 49.9 cc scooter, and it was a lot of fun, but the range was too small--not a big enough window between the maximum range for a bicycle and the maximum range the scooter.

I was thinking of at 150 or 200 cc, but my friends who were motorcyclists told me I'd outgrow that too quickly. They said I should go for a 400 at least. I wanted to stay in the scooter mode, and it came down to between the Burgman and the Honda megascooter. The Suzuki dealer had one in stock, but the Honda people would have had to do a special order.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I didn't know scooters had a stigma until I came on here.

A member on the VolusiaRiders forum mentioned that he had moved up from a Burgman. I'd never heard of one so I googled it. Looked interesting so I rode one and here I am. Stigmatized and all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats speedandstyle on the 400! Put me in group 2. Thought about a motorcycle, but love the storage room the Burgman offers.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
For me after 50 years of shifting I feel like I shifted enough . I started out about 7 years ago with a Honda Big Ruckus , that was it for me and I was off to the races . Today I have a garage full , 650 Burgs , Silverwings , a couple Big Ruckus and one Tmax . I like all of them but drive the 650 Burg daily year round . Periodically I feel like going out and banging some gears , and after about a mile of it that's enough for me . Personally I’m glad the majority of people here in the states look down on them , makes it possible for me to get them on the cheap .

So mums the word :thumbup:

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thought about a motorcycle, but love the storage room the Burgman offers.
Yep, that is one reason why I went with a scoot rather than a motorcycle. I still get smiles and giggles from the gals at Sonic when I pop the seat to store my drink. A couple of them have then asked about my scoot and where to get one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Group 3 for me, life long biker who scoffed at the idea of a scoot, but recently the advantages seem to increasingly become clear to me. Sold my Kawa W800 and enter my 2014 650 Bunglevan. Love it. Think I have arrived for the winter years of my biking life.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Went up from GSX1400 & DL1000GT to my Burgman 400z abs. I ride it near everyday and find it the most fun and a practical bike for short or big distances. Been riding 43 years, in good health, and had the lot before the Burgman. Not shifting is a blessing and I wonder why I didn't buy a Burgman before. I also ride the 650 often but I don't own that one. I still prefer the 400! So don't know what category that puts me in. Doug, I reckon your are about right in your assertions though!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
group 3 here: I wanted to get a long distance motorcycle:

- with great comfort
- not super expensive
- I did my research
- not very hard to maintain

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would be part of group # 3. Been riding for 14 years and have ridden all types of motorcycles and gravitated towards scooters as I got older and found the bigger bikes were too tiring to ride around town and push around my garage. I started with an MP3 400 which I still have, and then wanted something with more power for the longer rides. The 650 Burg fit that bill perfectly. I still own a motorcycle and the MP3, but find that I ride the Burg more often just because it works very well for all kinds of riding situations. I do find it amusing though that I usually get another motorcycle rider asking me about the Burg when I have it parked next to all the bikes at the local hangouts around town. They love how the Burg doesn't look like your typical scooter (Vespa) and I often blow their minds when I lift the seat and they see how much storage I have under there and when I tell them how fast I can actually go on the freeways. :eek:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts