Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been checking over what I'll need to do for the next Service in about 800 miles (because It's such a PAIN to get parts) and that will include Servicing the Air Filter Element....

So the Book Says Wash in Solvent...WHAT Kind/Brand of Solvent??? Then Impregnate with 40w oil...

How many of you do the Wash/Replace or do you just Pitch/Replace W/New???

Found the Air Filter for $12.13 at AZ Motorsports.

~ Roland

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Do you have the 400? In my service manual for the 650, it says to just blow the filter with air. It doesn't mention using any solvents.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Totally different air filters between the two models.

400 = oiled foam (requires periodic cleaning and oiling)
650 = paper element (requires replacement)

My 1st paper element on my 650 lasted 15,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Roland, you could get a K&N air filter so you would not need to clean it so frequently and they have cleaning kit for their filters. I cleaned my 400 foam air filter with gasoline.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
On the 400 you can use gas, or a strong soap - I use Simple Green -it;s cheep and it works.
Just don't use to much oil, It will make a mess if you soak the filter and squeeze out the excess.
A much better idea is a spray can of air filer oil (any brand -any dealer) spray on a light coating and your done.
It also makes it faster if you have a spare filter

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...My 1st paper element on my 650 lasted 15,000 miles.
I vacuum my filter from time to time, and at my 11,000 mile service was told it looked almost new.

My 15,000 mile service (and tire change) will be on Saturday; I'm hoping it's still in good shape.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
roy_ryall said:
Roland, you could get a K&N air filter so you would not need to clean it so frequently and they have cleaning kit for their filters. I cleaned my 400 foam air filter with gasoline.
Hey Roy,

I need to go look at the K&N Filter...

I'm trying to Chart Out a Service Regimen that will do all the Periodics in Groups that are Close Too or More Often than Specified by Suzuki that will also Minimize the actual time required for the tasks.

So far it seems about a 2000 mile Interval is Optimal...

Slightly Over the time frame for the Air Cleaner and Cooling Fan Filters but I don't think enough to be a Problem and about 60% of that for an Oil and Filter Change which is almost Twice as often as Factory Specs.

Looks like a Saturday or Sunday Morning once every 5 or 6 Weeks for Maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts