Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Corbin seat, but it's heavier than the stock seat and the gas cartridge will not hold it open. I tried various props, but they always got in the way of loading helmets, etc. under the seat. I had a successful solution with a clip on the gas cartridge, but it always seemed to be on the wrong side, especially so now with a sidecar attached.

At Home Depot I bought cabinet lid bracket, bent about 1/2" of the end and attached the foot bracket with 2 screws to the plastic surrounding the storage bin. I had hoped to attach it to the seat, but I could not get the right angle/position.

Now, I lift the seat, unfold the bracket, and then jam it against the bottom of the seat next to a rubber bumper. Just fold it and stow it inside the outer body plastic and storage compartment gasket when closing. It works great.

Pictures show the bracket folded and stowed, partially unfolded, and in the fully open positions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Dave Hobin on here had a guy that he bought a stronger gas prop from for his Corbin and it worked great but that works too.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Looks like it would work well.

Personally I don't see that it provides enough advantage over the simple wooden rod I have been using for the last 7 years to prompt me to build one though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For those who need a more elegant solution to the problem I make the "Super seat support" it is a direct replacement for the stock "seat piston" requires no modifications to install. My design allows the seat to open wider than stock also safely supports the seat with a 50 lb. load of gear on the seat. Comes with detailed installation instructions and free shipping in the continental U.S.. Contact Mark days New Jersey 732-267-4389 .$75.00.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
For those who need a more elegant solution to the problem I make the "Super seat support" it is a direct replacement for the stock "seat piston" requires no modifications to install. My design allows the seat to open wider than stock also safely supports the seat with a 50 lb. load of gear on the seat. Comes with detailed installation instructions and free shipping in the continental U.S.. Contact Mark days New Jersey 732-267-4389 .$75.00.
Sounds like the one Dave Hobin got, thanks for the info, one of these day I want a Corbin. ;)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That must put a tremendous load on the brackets designed for the much weaker standard seat piston.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For those who need a more elegant solution to the problem I make the "Super seat support" it is a direct replacement for the stock "seat piston" requires no modifications to install. My design allows the seat to open wider than stock also safely supports the seat with a 50 lb. load of gear on the seat. Comes with detailed installation instructions and free shipping in the continental U.S.. Contact Mark days New Jersey 732-267-4389
732-267-4389 .$75.00.
Do you have this advertised for sale online somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing photos and perhaps buying something else as a back up... but I'm not state side, so I'd need to be able to order online, pay and then have sent to wife's cousin/uncle living there who travel back to China multiple times a year, who'd then bring the item in my next shipment of goodies as hand/checked in airline luggage.

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks like it would work well.

Personally I don't see that it provides enough advantage over the simple wooden rod I have been using for the last 7 years to prompt me to build one though.
I also use the simple stick method, which is effective if not particularly elegant. I do have a replacement strut but it requires one to take a reasonable amount of tupperware off... <sigh> The stick in comparison is marginally longer than the tool kit pouch which is where I rest the stick when not in use. When the stick is in use I prop the seat up from a location just fore of the underseat storage butting against the plastic and then the underside of the seat. Simple innovation...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love my Corbin seat, but it's heavier than the stock seat and the gas cartridge will not hold it open. I tried various props, but they always got in the way of loading helmets, etc. under the seat. I had a successful solution with a clip on the gas cartridge, but it always seemed to be on the wrong side, especially so now with a sidecar attached.

At Home Depot I bought cabinet lid bracket, bent about 1/2" of the end and attached the foot bracket with 2 screws to the plastic surrounding the storage bin. I had hoped to attach it to the seat, but I could not get the right angle/position.

Now, I lift the seat, unfold the bracket, and then jam it against the bottom of the seat next to a rubber bumper. Just fold it and stow it inside the outer body plastic and storage compartment gasket when closing. It works great.

Pictures show the bracket folded and stowed, partially unfolded, and in the fully open positions.
Interesting... I had bought a similar cabinet lid bracket here in China from a B&Q hardware chain store 'ages' ago, as I'd planned to fit to the underseat of a Jetmax which doesn't have any seat support. The seat simply lifts and pivots from the front hinge all the way up and forward and then the seat leans against the handle bars which gives very good underseat access, that few other maxi scoots I've got or ridden have. I decided in the end not to fit the bracket as I never found just the right location.

I might have to dig out the cabinet latch and size it up for the AN650K7 in the garage with a bad seat strut, than no longer holds the seat up. I've got a new replacement strut, but then found I had to remove more tupperware than just the side tupperware so it's been a task on the back burner for ages. A simple stick like Buffalo uses also has worked for me in the long interim it's taken/taking me to get one of those 'getaroundtoit's'.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do you have this advertised for sale online somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing photos and perhaps buying something else as a back up... but I'm not state side, so I'd need to be able to order online, pay and then have sent to wife's cousin/uncle living there who travel back to China multiple times a year, who'd then bring the item in my next shipment of goodies as hand/checked in airline luggage.

Would like to see photo as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm terrible with the picture part of the computer I could send anyone a picture & Installation instructions if desired in the mail just PM me your address Thanks Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts