Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
after a few months of tring to decide which scooter to buy, I have narrowed it down to the 650 burgman. I looked at the silverwing, 500 scarabeo, atlantic 500, atlantic 200, burgman 400, reflex, and helix. the burgman 650 seems to do everything I want from a scooter.
a few questions.
1. how much have you paid for the first service? does the first service require the valves to be adjusted? the reason I ask is that I ride 10-15k miles a year and don't want to have to pay $500 a year to have the valves adjusted. I can do all of the other routine maintenance myself.
2. is there any advantage to buying an '04 over an '03? I live close enough to the dealer on ebay that is selling the burgman 650 for $6300, but I am also close to another dealer that will sell the '04 for $6585, so if the '04 is a better bike(diesel noise fixed?), I will pay the extra $200.
I have owned a couple of suzukis in the past and have been happy with them. my first bike was a used '80 gs1100e. I was an innocent 20 yrs old. I had only ridden minibikes up to that point. the gs1100 pulled like a freight train. handled like a new puppy on a leash.
I met my wife on the old suzuki, and 18 yrs later, we're still married. must have been the bike. :lol:
thanks for any opinions. I will probably buy the burgman regardless of the maintenance costs, just thought I would ask.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I cant comment on first service price since I'm Canadian and it wont help you much.I can tell you this though in regards to the valves.They dont require there first service untill 15000 miles. There are no major differences between the '03 or the '04's. The diesel sound is still there and even if you get it looked at it seems to comeback. So I just live with the noise.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If the valves are really done right at the first 15k service, you probably wont need to ever have them adjusted again. You can have them inspected, but that takes as much time as adding/removing shims.

Shim under bucket is very stable....once done after 15k, done unless something goes wrong. Maybe have another adjustment at 45k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both. that has answered my 2 concerns.
I like the blue burgman the best, so I may have to look into the '03s.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bean:

I have owned some Suzukis that I beat the hell out of and nothing ever broke. I had a DR350SE (1997) that I slammed through desert trails every weekend for two years. Then I bought an SV650 (1999) and played in the twisties with the sportbike guys for another two years. Again, nothing wore out or broke. Both bikes were, in their respective classes, the best.

Having said that, my decision to buy another Suzuki was easy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bean,
You remind me of myself, having looked at several different bikes before deciding on the Burgman. Looking back, I can say it was fun doing the comparisons. I looked at everything, full dressers, sport tours, scooters...BMW was even nice enough to give me a little Swiss Army knife just for taking a test ride on theirs...that knife is in the glove compartment on my Burgman 650 now.

Anyway, the only difference between the '03's and the '04's that I'm aware of is the color options, black has replaced the blue. The '04's also have a little piece of plastic added to the lower left leg shield just above the side stand to deflect the rain away. If you get an '03, and are so inclined, you can add the part for about $12.00 and 20 minutes of your time.

Lots has been said about the dieseling noise. There haven't been any mentions of it causing, or being a problem so far as the reliability or performance of the bike is concerned. Can't say as I remember anyone sayinig that they were stranded along the side of the road because their Burgman sounded like a Mack truck at idle.

Enjoy your Burgman when you get it.
Bruce G. Woodburn
AN650

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey Bean, like you and bwdbrn1, I've looked at a lot of bikes in the last month but I think I've settled on a '04 Burgman. I like my '00 ACE Tourer but I was looking for something a little smoother yet with a shield and carrying capabilities. After my test ride last week and reading this forum for the past several weeks, I think I'll order my silver 650 this week.
Hey bwdbrn1, how do you get the toothpick and tweezers out of that BMW knife? I took a friend to pick up his new R1150RT at the Suzuki dealers last week (he sells both) and they gave me a knife for giving my buddy a lift (40 miles). :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode both burgmans again today. this time it wasn't 40*. I find that I actually prefer the 400. it has great acceleration, especially from 0-60, which is where I spend 99% of the time. it is slightly smaller, but still manageable, and the extra 10mpg is only going to make it better.
the 650 is nice and powerful. I just find that the performance difference is not that great. not for the way I ride. I had both bikes through the paces, and up to 65 mph, and they both ride nice.
the engine braking of the 650 is way overboard. I much prefer the 400 in this respect.
the 650 has a little larger trunk and a few other things, but also weighs 125 lbs more.
all in all, the 400 is just better suited for me. great performance, mpg, braking, maneuverability, etc. it is a steal at $4800. to spend the same money on the reflex or helix would be pure folly. the 400 is in another league. it is truly one of the super-scooters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't know about differences between 03's and 04's, other than the little plastic rain deflector, but how about this:

My friend bought a silver '03 last Saturday. It is identical to mine, except that it doesn't have the word "Pass" on the left switch gear cluster, nor does it have the switch. Otherwise, the two machines, as far as we could tell in a side-by-side comparison, are the same.

Anyone have a clue about the missing "Pass" switch?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
bwdbrn1 said:
You got tweezers and a tooth pick?! You must have gotten the deluxe model! Mine just has BMW motorcycles printed on one side.
I think we have the same model. Mine came with a slip of paper that showed the location of the toothpick and tweezers but damned if I can find them. Those BMW people really have a sick sense of humor. :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
You got tweezers and a tooth pick?! You must have gotten the deluxe model! Mine just has BMW motorcycles printed on one side.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I for one would spend another $200 or so for the 04 as you aren't by a one year old bike from a depreciation stand point. They aren't doing you nay favors with the discount on the 03.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts