Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I sold it this morning. Thanks for the replies.

At 8 in the morning, an insurance guy is going to drop by to pay me for the damage done to my scooter. He has already totaled it, but says I can buy it back for a little over $1,200. The question is... SHOULD I?

The bike was bought new by me in 2018. It has 19,500 miles on it fully maintained. There is nothing wrong with it mechanically. I still ride it, AND it would pass our state inspection. Either way the insurance compay deals with it, they are going to issue a salvage title. But in our state, that actually mean little, because as long as it passes inspection, the state then issues a (I forget the exact wording) but something like a reclaimed vehicle.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It looks like a good project bike for someone. Do you have room to store it till it gets sold? If you only get two grand for it would it be worth your time? If you have the space and don't mind it sitting around for a while till it gets sold it might be worth it.

Reactions: wvburg

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
745 Posts
A salvage title or similar on any vehicle won't get much interest or $$ on a resale, it's a big gamble, is only a deal if you're keeping it and/or have the means, time and budget to fix it, KIM that new parts are very $$$, used parts are drying up on a now discontinued bike. ITOH you can part it out and possibly double or triple your money, but it's a slow, laborious process.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Insurance is offering $8500, honestly, I'd take that and run without looking back. Thats more than the bike is worth in perfect condition with a clean title. I personally don't want anything with a salvage title, especially out of state. Could turn into a nightmare unless you can find a local buyer. Hard to assess the damage from where I sit, looks minor cosmetic? Plastics are pricey.
This price below is in GOOD condition with clean title. I wouldn't pay $2500 for anything with a salvage title, that's just me. Not being harsh, just answering your question.
Photograph Light Product Font Screenshot

·
Registered
962 Posts
You need to emotionally separate the two transactions and decide on that basis. You're going to get $8,500 from the insurance company one way or the other. The bike will then belong to someone else. That's transaction number one and it stands alone.

The second transaction is investing in a totaled bike with a salvage title and attempting to make a profit from flipping it. It doesn't matter that the bike used to be yours.

The question is, do you want to get into the business of buying bikes with salvage titles with the intention of flipping them to make a profit? Put differently, if you had never totaled your bike but came across one like this in this condition, and the owner offered it to you for $1,200, would you buy it to flip it?

If you like that sort of thing then maybe you should buy this one. If, on the other hand, you're not interested in getting into the flipping business, but just like to ride, then don't buy it. As I said, it doesn't matter that the bike was once yours.

Parting it out, as zrx212 suggests, could profitable but it comes back to the same issue. Would you buy someone else's salvaged bike in order to go through the work of parting it out? Do you want to be in that business?

Hope this helps.

JD

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to emotionally separate the two transactions and decide on that basis. You're going to get $8,500 from the insurance company one way or the other. The bike will then belong to someone else. That's transaction number one and it stands alone.

Thoughtful answer.
If I were a younger Burgman person and knew a lot about the bike, I might consider flipping it, because the salvage title means little because you can plainly see that the damage is cosmedic. At 25 hundred dollars, it would be a great deal for someone who just needed reliable transportation to work. I mean, what can you buy for 25 hundred dollars these days that is reliable? However, all of this would depend on where I lived. In my state, I may be the only Burgman Executive owner. Except for one time that I can think of, most dealers never carried the Burgman simply because this was never a scooter state. You rode a Harley, and at worst, a chopper type Japanese bike. I had to travel all the way to Tennesee to buy this bike in 2018 because no dealer had them in my state. So I think you're right, it would be harder for me to sell the bike EVEN WITHOUT DAMAGE, around here, so I dont know how far someone would be willing to drive to buy a bike in this condition, no matter how reliable it was. I'll probably just turn it over to the Ins company. ( sucks that I just bought a new rear tire, and last Spring paid $500 for a new rear wheel after a rock on the Interstate came flying across the lanes and destroyed that wheel.) OH well...

Anyway, thanks!

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
WV, Unless you have storage space I'd let them take it. It would be nice to have the spare parts. The CVT is worth about $800 to $1,000 now that you can not get one from Suzuki.
If you were about 200 miles from me I'd pay you $1800 for it and put all the engine and wiring stuff in my 2003 chassis and Tuperware.

The insurance company will just have a tow company pick it up and drop it off at the local Copart Auction yard. In about 5 weeks or so it will come up for bid. I bet it sells for around $1,000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts