Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Burgman 650 with relatively low miles, 22,000ish. I bought it a few years ago with 18,000ish miles and use it only when I winter in Arizona. Last spring, fortunately when I was near home, it suddenly quit going forward though the engine was running fine. I garaged it until I returned this December and took it in for evaluation. I was told that something major had failed in the transmission and likely caused engine damage as well. I had only paid $2500 for it and the repair would be nearly that much so I'm looking for a way to dispose of it. I'm told that if someone is a competent mechanic and has the time to tear it down and repair it the parts are not too expensive. The bike looks fine and ran very strong, until it didn't. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get this into the hands of a new owner that can repair it or use it for parts. I'm in Apache Junction, AZ.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
You're in a good place to find someone who might be interested. The dealer was correct, the possible repair cost would likely exceed the value of the bike. There are a number of folks here who have older bikes and might be in need of other spare parts. I would suggest making a post in the classified section giving some particulars on it and a price. You never know who might be in need of other parts.

·
Premium Member
12,691 Posts
2 ways to look at that, yeah, the repair will cost more than the worth of the bike, but will the repair be cheaper than a new bike? and will the bike give yiou back your money's worth after repair, one thing for sure, I am not pleased with the response of the persons who evaluated it, skanky kinda answer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
2 ways to look at that, yeah, the repair will cost more than the worth of the bike, but will the repair be cheaper than a new bike? and will the bike give yiou back your money's worth after repair, one thing for sure, I am not pleased with the response of the persons who evaluated it, skanky kinda answer.
Well said sir.
Long ago I stopped worrying about whether a repair or purchase was necessarily cost efficient or not. I have worked long days for many years to afford a certain amount of discretionary spending. If something brings me peace/joy/happiness or whatever the buzzword of the day is, the dollar cost is not something I use to assess value to an item. The cost of a repair like that at a dealer will quickly surpass the value of the bike to many people. Yea I agree, the dealer/shop response was kinda lame but they probably did not want to do the work anyway. That bike would still be gold in the right hands.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just maybe that dealer saw a deal coming like you sell to them for a ridiculously low price, because like Blacktruck said, it is still gold to somebody. I am glad you didn't!

·
Administrator
20,225 Posts
Sounds like the CVT belt broke. $350ish for the belt but 10+ hours R&R the CVT.

A new CVT, much better designed than the 2005's, is about $2500 and still 8+ hours R&R. But it gives you all new bearings and much better parts.

I would take it off your hands but I am 1500 miles northwest of you. And the nasty roads this time of year says NO WAY. The cost of buying it and shipping it would kill the deal.

So, I will move this to the Classifieds and if you can set a price and maybe post a picture or two you may get a local person to take it.

·
Super Moderator
12,445 Posts
Most likely a belt or something else kinda heinous, but feebly possible its the Primary Adapter bolt issue we've seen and some have experienced in the 2006 models. If so and it hasn't gotten too chewed up, a careful hand, a bottoming tap and a fresh bolt could do the trick. Think I was under 20 bucks; albeit I already owned a tap and die kit, & have a fair bit of experience re-tapping similar things so just needed the tap and the bolt....Still even paying someone to do that is not going to be that expensive...so worth a check IMHO. Just need to pull a small cover and it'll be pretty obvious if it is the case..heck the cover will have a hole in it if it's far enough out to have been the cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most likely a belt or something else kinda heinous, but feebly possible its the Primary Adapter bolt issue we've seen and some have experienced in the 2006 models. If so and it hasn't gotten too chewed up, a careful hand, a bottoming tap and a fresh bolt could do the trick. Think I was under 20 bucks; albeit I already owned a tap and die kit, & have a fair bit of experience re-tapping similar things so just needed the tap and the bolt....Still even paying someone to do that is not going to be that expensive...so worth a check IMHO. Just need to pull a small cover and it'll be pretty obvious if it is the case..heck the cover will have a hole in it if it's far enough out to have been the cause.
They did mention a bolt that had broken off on one end. They also suggested someone had worked on this bike previously and had done some things incorrectly. I'm not opposed to spending money but at 15 years old I wonder if it would be worth it (the bike's 15 years old, not me. I'm 70!). I'd rather get it to someone with the time and skills to take advantage of my misfortune and get this bike back on the road. When it was running it easily kept up with the Harleys and Goldwings in my RV park.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2005 Burgman 650 with relatively low miles, 22,000ish. I bought it a few years ago with 18,000ish miles and use it only when I winter in Arizona. Last spring, fortunately when I was near home, it suddenly quit going forward though the engine was running fine. I garaged it until I returned this December and took it in for evaluation. I was told that something major had failed in the transmission and likely caused engine damage as well. I had only paid $2500 for it and the repair would be nearly that much so I'm looking for a way to dispose of it. I'm told that if someone is a competent mechanic and has the time to tear it down and repair it the parts are not too expensive. The bike looks fine and ran very strong, until it didn't. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get this into the hands of a new owner that can repair it or use it for parts. I'm in Apache Junction, AZ.
If I listed this on Craigslist, what is a fair price in this condition? $500? More? Less? I put a passenger seat back on it last year that if I recall correctly was somewhat north of $100. All of the plastic is good, seat is good, relatively new tires. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have someone drop a "new" (different) engine in it and ride the wheels off it!

Mine had the same issue, paid $1k for the bike and have $600 in another "new" engine I swapped in. It took 2 full days to swap the engine to being ride-able again. I'm now 28K miles into the swap with no problems. 😁

Turns out it was an $11 bearing in the back of the engine that required splitting the cases to get to it. Took me 2 weeks (of not working real hard) to find it. I now have a spare engine that I can reinstall or sell....

Something to think about.

FWIW.

·
Premium Member
12,691 Posts
there's also a procedure on here for examining the belt, but I have the feeling you are ready to "recycle this one and go buy a newer shineyer one , shipping is the killer, if you parted it out at a good shipping rate you could buy a new one and a bag of doritos, but shipping will kill most profits, take the value the insurance company gives, (you can ask them) for totaling it , add a thousand for bargaining room and advertise it on craigslist There's one born every minute

·
Administrator
20,225 Posts
To strip and part it out can take weeks/months. Unless you have a shipping account it will not pay.

So as a base 2005 Burgman 650 with a bad CVT but good engine and all Tupperware is $500 to $1,000. I'd walk away at $575. For that $575 and a brand new $2500 CVT puts it in my $3000 range. It would run for another 80,000+ miles.

I'd do that as a keeper as there would not be any meat on the bone as resell.

If I picked it up for $500 I'd strip all the tupperware off and use it on my crashed 2008 650 in the garage. But getting it from Apache Junction, AZ to Auburn WA costs a lot so.......

even if it was given to me free, it would still cost me over $575 to get it home. 1450 miles.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the suggestions and support from this forum. The broken B650 went to a new home this evening. New owner is planning to put a different engine in it. If I had the space and the tools and was at least 20 years younger I might have tackled it myself. I rebuilt a lot a vehicles in the past including motorcycles in high school, an Austin Healey, a 65 Chevelle (sure wish I still had that one), a motor home, and most recently a 31 Ford. But, it just wasn't in the cards for me to do this one. I'm just glad it's not in a crusher somewhere!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts