Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am looking for the softest or better riding suspension for the passenger between a 400 +2007 and a 650. I could get a good deal on 2011 400 ABS, right now my passenger thinks my 650 rides pretty harsh.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I own both models. Both are 'harsh' - they are scooters after all. I think they are close, but for my money the 650 has the better ride. Probably due to the larger wheels/tires. My wife/passenger also thinks the 650 is the more comfortable ride.

(You have adjusted the rear spring pre-load, right? 1 for the softest, 5 for the stiffest)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As for the suspension.... don't let the passenger make the choice for you. Buy the bike you want, then buy the passenger an AirHawk for the seat. Likely your passenger will want a seat cushion either way.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I keep both my bikes on the softest settings. I think the 400 is a bit softer, but they're both pretty stiff. So far as riding with a passenger, the 650 is much better. I can berely notice my wife on the back. The 400 definitely strains a bit. Up to you, but I'd try an Airhawk passenger pad. It's the quickest, easiest fix and You'll probably want one no matter the bike.

Long term solutions would be better suspention components and different or reupholstered seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I rode the 2015's 400 and 650 back to back several times. The 650 is more compliant on potholes and anything that gets a hard hit under the rear wheel. Studder bumps etc. are better on the 650. The 400 with the tranny & motor being suspended requires a stiffer less compliant rear suspension. The 400 and 650 are both fine, until under hard acceleration, when the 400 starts to feel "pumped up" and the 650 is still doing it's thing. Hard to explain but neither is a harsh ride. My wife's Vino 125 is absurdly harsh on even the lightest settings. Both Burgmans have a more compliant suspension than my 650 V-Strom all the way through 75 mph and poor West Virginia mountain roads. The 650 is the winner, IMO.........Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your info guys. I did a road test last night of a Tmax 530, I found the supension had less kick back after a hole, but the ergos are nothing compared to the 650.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like I will be keeping my 650 for a little while, I just thought in my memory that the 400 had a softer ride.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
TBH I think the 400 can be softer on it's lower settings. I used to ride both the 650 and the 400 and of the two the 400 is a little softer at the lower end of the suspension settings. In fact, my 2012 B400 is positively magic carpet like on it's number 1 or 2 setting with almost no crashing through bumps or potholes. It glides across them. Mind you it is 225kg in weight because I have the 'Limited' version which has extras adding to the weight of the standard bike. That will make a difference. I know that I would not want to ride my bike with the suspension on 1 or 2 if I have a passenger as that would be too soft and the handling will become unwieldy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts