Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does somebody know if there are any aftermarket grips that are softer than the stock ones. I mean, the ones like you can see on a Harley, really cushioned ones to kill the vibration. I feel numbness in my hands after 100 miles or so.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
I know they do make them, however have you trided something like a throttle rocker or cramp buster? I have one, cost about $10. It's not a cruise control, but it does allow you to relax your right hand a bit because you don't have to have such a tight grip on the throttle, while still retaing the spring loaded throttle control.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I want some really soft grips. I had a Harley about 6 years ago and I still remember that plush feel oh the Harley grips. But that's about all good I can say of a Harley.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
Maybe it needed them more.

Have you tried to see if the handle bar Diamater is the same? If so put the Harley ones on it. It should work. Most dealers do have different grips available. Espically if they sell dirt bikes.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Just an alternative suggestion. I wear Olmpia gloves in the hot weather. They have perforated leather backs, so they don't get too hot. They also have gel pads in the palms. Super comfortable. If the grips were made out of granite I wouldn't care...

I've had a set for a few years now. Still in good shape, but I assume they'll wear out eventually. I saw another pair of them brand new at the dealer last week in my XL size. Bought them. MSRP was $30 I think, and I got my usual 10% discount. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I tried foam grips before on my ninja and did not like it. It felt weird...wobbly and unsure.

Now I wrap the handle with badminton grips with some tempurpedic foam underneath it, and it feels better. Basically I place one tube of foam on each side of the handle bar, so after wrapping the handle bar feels oval (rather than round). So it can double up as throttle rocker. :) I still wear gloves, because the dirt and dust tend to make that badminton grip slippery. I may try wrap it with leather to see how it feels later.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Kuryakin makes aftermarket grips that fit the Burgmans; various styles available, and most are larger in diameter than the stock grips.

I haven't tried them, but they look nice. Check your local dealer or they should have a Web presence.

HTH.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have difficulty with my hands as well -- a touch of arthiritis and they would become numb and sore after about two hours. On my 650 I put the Kuryakin grips with the throttle boss on both sides so both of my hands could rest a little while I ride. I switched my gloves to gel gloves and now I have no pain or numbness even after an all day ride. There are probably many different solutions for hand comfort. Maybe it is one of those things you have to experiment with a little.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Almost any motorcycle dealer will stock many different types of replacement grips, nothing special about the scoot bars that make them hard to fit.
This is one of the items best picked up in person not by mail.
Just pick a pair of foam grips and ride off :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with "heated" Kuryakin grips.
I like the look and feel of them but I want heated grips as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Grips info

Does anybody know the diameter of the grips or any other specs I would need to know before looking around? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
kcburgman wrote
Does anybody know the diameter of the grips or any other specs I would need to know before looking around? Thanks
It not the diameter of the grips, that can be almost anything -hard rubber will be smaller them soft foam. :wink:
All you need is the diameter of your handle bars. I don't have a 650 but some one here will know I am sure.
Handle bars are standard so you should not have a problem. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hand Grips

The Burgman 400 has 7/8" handlebars. Just make sure that the grips you buy are for that size of bar because most aftermarket grips are for 1" bars found on most motorcycles these days.

I have installed bigger/softer grips on my 400 and many other bikes I have owned. It is quite easy to do. Note that the hand grip for the left bar will be 7/8" in diameter and the grip for the right bar will have an opening a bit larger to fit over the throttle mechanism.

When you take the stock grips off, you will notice a raised portion of white plastic near the end of the bar which will need some shaving down in order to fit other grips.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Harleys have 1" bars. Japanese bikes typically have 7/8" bars. I don't know if they have changed that on any of their recent "Harley clone" cruisers, but my early 90's Honda Shadow 1100 was still 7/8".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Andrew was right

Andrew was right... They are 1"ers (both sides) and you have to shave a little bit off the end of the throttle.

·
Registered
550 Posts
just got my soft foam grips (cost $5.95 + tax) dealership charged me $34 to install them because I have Throttlemeister throttle lock. Just go to the parts counter of a suzuki dealership. They are fatter and soft, comfortable so far.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
gunrun69 said:
just got my soft foam grips (cost $5.95 + tax) dealership charged me $34 to install them because I have Throttlemeister throttle lock. Just go to the parts counter of a suzuki dealership. They are fatter and soft, comfortable so far.
Jeff,

Which grips did you buy for $5.95? How do you like the Throttlemeister?

Janine :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anyone have a link to the Audiovox Throttle Master I saw mentioned by a new comer as a Cruise Control?

Thanks,

Yup

·
Registered
550 Posts
I love everything on my bike, you'd have to ask the dealership, I saw a picture, I never saw the box, dealership put them on. the Throttlemeister is great, I highly recommend it, looks great too. the link for the audiovox is in reviews.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts